British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK state pension and USA social security (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-state-pension-usa-social-security-733297/)

Giantaxe Oct 23rd 2017 4:00 pm

Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12366772)
I found this current advice for 2017:

"In 2017, Social Security recipients who earn more than $16,920 will have $1 withheld for every $2 earned above that limit. Recipients who turn their full retirement age this year can earn up to $44,880, but their benefit is reduced by $1 for every $3 earned above this higher limit."

You missed an important bit off that, namely:

"However, once you turn full retirement age, you can earn any amount without having your benefit withheld, and Social Security payments are recalculated to give you credit for any withheld benefits."

I don't know that exact math, but my reading of this is that the reduction prior to full retirement age is essentially a deferment.

Pulaski Oct 23rd 2017 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 12366930)
You missed an important bit off that, namely:

"However, once you turn full retirement age, you can earn any amount without having your benefit withheld, and Social Security payments are recalculated to give you credit for any withheld benefits."

I don't know that exact math, but my reading of this is that the reduction is essentially a deferment.

:confused: I thought that was what the higher limit of $44,880 was about.

So are you saying that there's one limit for people who take SS early, higher limit for the year they reach full retirement age, and no limit in subsequent years?

Giantaxe Oct 23rd 2017 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12366937)
:confused: I thought that was what the higher limit of $44,880 was about.

That is for the year that you reach your full retirement age.

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12366937)
So are you saying that there's one limit for people who take SS early, higher limit for the year they reach full retirement age, and no limit in subsequent years?

Correct.

mrken30 Oct 23rd 2017 6:03 pm

Are these limits just for earned income or does it include passive income?

morpeth Oct 23rd 2017 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 12366942)
That is for the year that you reach your full retirement age.

Correct.

I read that if one is outside of the country there is a strict limit to how many hours one can work if one takes early social security, but cant find the article again.

I find the whole issue of paying a benefit, then taking some back if you work, and all the seemingly arcane calculations, just a complicated mess for which there must be a better solution.

Giantaxe Oct 23rd 2017 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12367000)
Are these limits just for earned income or does it include passive income?

Earned income only.

Pulaski Oct 23rd 2017 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12367005)
..... I find the whole issue of paying a benefit, then taking some back if you work, and all the seemingly arcane calculations, just a complicated mess for which there must be a better solution.

Well making it means-tested would be more honest, because that is what they're trying to move towards, without actually making it means-tested.

Giantaxe Oct 23rd 2017 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12367005)
I find the whole issue of paying a benefit, then taking some back if you work, and all the seemingly arcane calculations, just a complicated mess for which there must be a better solution.

It seems it's deferred, not strictly taken back.

mrken30 Oct 23rd 2017 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 12367017)
It seems it's deferred, not strictly taken back.

It's also worth noting that if the SSA withholds your benefits and keeps you from double dipping between Social Security income and working wages, you don't lose your benefits forever. Once you cross full retirement age, you'll get them back in the form of a higher monthly payout.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...018/106907866/

Working Overseas

If you are under full retirement age, we withhold benefits for every month you work more than 45 hours outside the United States in employment or self-employment (not subject to U.S. Social Security taxes).

It doesn't matter how much you earned or how many hours you worked each day. You will be considered to be working on any day you:

Work as an employee or self-employed person;
Have an agreement to work even if you do not actually work because of sickness, vacation, etc.; or
Are the owner or part owner of a trade or business even if you do not actually work in the trade or business or receive any income from it.
Generally, if your benefits are withheld because of your work, we cannot pay benefits to anyone else receiving benefits on your record for that month. However, the work of others receiving benefits on your record affects only their own benefits.

https://www.ssa.gov/hlp/isba/10/hlp-...arnwg2-for.htm

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/whileworking.html

Giantaxe Oct 23rd 2017 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12367029)
It's also worth noting that if the SSA withholds your benefits and keeps you from double dipping between Social Security income and working wages, you don't lose your benefits forever. Once you cross full retirement age, you'll get them back in the form of a higher monthly payout.

That is what I have already pointed out... twice!

morpeth Oct 24th 2017 3:21 am

Working Overseas

If you are under full retirement age, we withhold benefits for every month you work more than 45 hours outside the United States in employment or self-employment (not subject to U.S. Social Security taxes).

It doesn't matter how much you earned or how many hours you worked each day. You will be considered to be working on any day you:

Have an agreement to work even if you do not actually work because of sickness, vacation, etc.; or
Are the owner or part owner of a trade or business even if you do not actually work in the trade or business or receive any income from it.
Generally, if your benefits are withheld because of your work, we cannot pay benefits to anyone else receiving benefits on your record for that month. However, the work of others receiving benefits on your record affects only their own benefits.

https://www.ssa.gov/hlp/isba/10/hlp-...arnwg2-for.htm

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/whileworking.html

Thanks , that is what I read was referring too. Pretty outrageous I think- so if I wanted to take early social security, I couldn't work over 45 hours a month, or own a business.

Pulaski Oct 24th 2017 1:31 pm

Working Overseas

Generally, if your benefits are withheld because of your work, we cannot pay benefits to anyone else receiving benefits on your record for that month. However, the work of others receiving benefits on your record affects only their own benefits. ....

Well that's clearly a disincentive to retire early, but as they push the age for "full" retirement older and older it is inevitable that they would also want to discourage early retirement.

Frankly I am surprised that the age for early retirement isn't being increased lock-step with the increase in the age for full retirement.

mrken30 Oct 24th 2017 1:42 pm

So it occurred to me, if I am working between 62 and 67, should I claim SSI at age 62? Would the increased deferred payment be more than the 8% if you just defer claiming until age 67. Five years of back payments should amount to a bit.

Pulaski Oct 24th 2017 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12367508)
So it occurred to me, if I am working between 62 and 67, should I claim SSI at age 62? Would the increased deferred payment be more than the 8% if you just defer claiming until age 67. Five years of back payments should amount to a bit.

A lot will depend on how long you expect to live. I heard the other day that if you are healthy at 60 there is a now very good chance you will reach 90. If you don't expect to reach more than 75-80 then drawing early is the optimal decision.

mrken30 Oct 24th 2017 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12367513)
A lot will depend on how long you expect to live. I heard the other day that if you are healthy at 60 there is a now very good chance you will reach 90. If you don't expect to reach more than 75-80 then drawing early is the optimal decision.

I heard the other day that in 50% of couples, one partner will live to age 92.