Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK state pension and USA social security

UK state pension and USA social security

Old Oct 25th 2016, 10:43 pm
  #1231  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 30
monkeybrains is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Hi,
I made my Social Security application about 5 weeks ago and received the following request for information today....does it look like a standard request for more information to anyone whos applied for SS on line before ?

Please call our office before Friday, October 28, 2016 and ask for XXXX The telephone number is XXX-XXX-XXXX. We need to talk to you about:

Reviewing your earnings record

The month you can begin receiving benefits.

Your business or self employment

Your entitlement to a pension based on work not covered under Social Security.

Your claim for Social Security benefits.

When you call our office, please have this letter with you. It will help us to serve you more quickly.
monkeybrains is offline  
Old Oct 25th 2016, 10:47 pm
  #1232  
 
lansbury's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 9,318
lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Yes that is standard. Call, if you get an answering machine leave a message, your SS application with be dealt with in that phone call. Both of ours were fully completed that way.
lansbury is offline  
Old Oct 25th 2016, 11:26 pm
  #1233  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 30
monkeybrains is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Your entitlement to a pension based on work not covered under Social Security.
??????
monkeybrains is offline  
Old Oct 26th 2016, 12:17 am
  #1234  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,776
kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by monkeybrains View Post
Your entitlement to a pension based on work not covered under Social Security.
??????
This will be to calculate WEP, the Windfall Elimination Program (many references and discussions on here). If you've earned a US government pension, or a foreign pension, from earnings on which FICA wasn't paid, it'll reduce the amount of SS you get. There's a calculator to estimate this on the SS website.
kodokan is offline  
Old Oct 26th 2016, 12:20 am
  #1235  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 30
monkeybrains is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by lansbury View Post
Yes that is standard. Call, if you get an answering machine leave a message, your SS application with be dealt with in that phone call. Both of ours were fully completed that way.
Thank you.
monkeybrains is offline  
Old Oct 26th 2016, 12:20 am
  #1236  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 30
monkeybrains is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by kodokan View Post
This will be to calculate WEP, the Windfall Elimination Program (many references and discussions on here). If you've earned a US government pension, or a foreign pension, from earnings on which FICA wasn't paid, it'll reduce the amount of SS you get. There's a calculator to estimate this on the SS website.
Thank you.
monkeybrains is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2016, 1:58 pm
  #1237  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 30
monkeybrains is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Hi All,
I called the Social Security and finally got through,the nice lady took all my details and asked me if I was receiving a pension in the UK,I told her I was and told her how much I was getting,ok she said....because you are receiving a UK state pension the US Social Security dept will have to reduce the amount we pay you....but first we will need to see your birth certificate and your letter from the UK pension verifying what you receive(Im in the process of doing this)

Heres my question.
Will the UK pension dept now reduce my UK pension based on the fact that I will be receiving Social Security from the U.S ?

Thank you.
monkeybrains is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2016, 2:30 pm
  #1238  
nun
BE Forum Addict
 
nun's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,721
nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by monkeybrains View Post


Heres my question.
Will the UK pension dept now reduce my UK pension based on the fact that I will be receiving Social Security from the U.S ?

Thank you.
No
nun is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2016, 2:48 pm
  #1239  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 30
monkeybrains is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by nun View Post
No

Thank you Nun.....not that Im complaining...but why not,can you explain why they wouldnt reduce the UK pension?
Thank you.
monkeybrains is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2016, 3:08 pm
  #1240  
Lt Col (Retd)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 46,056
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by monkeybrains View Post
Thank you Nun.....not that I'm complaining...but why not,can you explain why they wouldnt reduce the UK pension? .....
Because the British state pension is not means tested or contingent on other sources of income, and is, more or less, a flat rate unlike US Social Security which is paid as a function of your earnings.

US social security is more generous but is skewed to helping the lowest income people most and so the US introduced a system to claw back some of the money paid to those with less than a complete (30+ years) Social Security contribution history because Social Security was unduly generous to them IF they had other pension arrangements.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2016, 3:26 pm
  #1241  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 30
monkeybrains is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Because the British state pension is not means tested or contingent on other sources of income, and is, more or less, a flat rate unlike US Social Security which is paid as a function of your earnings.

US social security is more generous but is skewed to helping the lowest income people most and so the US introduced a system to claw back some of the money paid to those with less than a complete (30+ years) Social Security contribution history because Social Security was unduly generous to them IF they had other pension arrangements.

Pulaski, thank you Sir for your reply and putting my mind at rest today
monkeybrains is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2016, 3:53 pm
  #1242  
Lt Col (Retd)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 46,056
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by monkeybrains View Post
Pulaski, thank you Sir for your reply and putting my mind at rest today
You're welcome.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2016, 9:40 pm
  #1243  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2016
Location: California
Posts: 233
Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by monkeybrains View Post
your letter from the UK pension verifying what you receive
Not all that you receive may count towards WEP, eg I've read in several posts here that the part of the pension resulting from your contributions while in the US doesn't count towards WEP. So make sure they are aware and take into account only the part that counts towards WEP.
Asg123 is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2016, 11:49 pm
  #1244  
 
lansbury's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 9,318
lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by Asg123 View Post
Not all that you receive may count towards WEP, eg I've read in several posts here that the part of the pension resulting from your contributions while in the US doesn't count towards WEP. So make sure they are aware and take into account only the part that counts towards WEP.
Just to clarify. It isn't where you were/are when you make the contributions, it is the fact the contributions were voluntary and not deducted from salary. Any part of the UK State pension derived from voluntary contributions does not count towards the calculation of WEP.
lansbury is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2016, 1:28 am
  #1245  
Lt Col (Retd)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 46,056
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by lansbury View Post
Just to clarify. It isn't where you were/are when you make the contributions, it is the fact the contributions were voluntary and not deducted from salary. Any part of the UK State pension derived from voluntary contributions does not count towards the calculation of WEP.
If I might add, hopefully to clarify, pensions that are WEP deductible are those paid for with income which was not subject to Social Security taxes. So if your British State Pension was paid for with 14 years of actual or deemed contributions while in the UK, 10 years of voluntary contributions while working in, say, Germany, and 12 years of voluntary contrubutions while living in the US then one third (12/36) of your State Pension would not be WEPable, because one third of it was paid for with contributions that were subject to US Social Security taxes.
Pulaski is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.