Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK state pension and USA social security

UK state pension and USA social security

Old Apr 21st 2016, 6:56 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by Lechtenberg
My beef is that I paid into this system and they have just taken my money under false pretenses
The law bring in WEP was passed in 1983. What you really mean is you assumed something without bothering to check how SS was calculated or paid. The information about the WEP are quite well detailed on the SS web site and published leaflets.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
How is that different from any other crime?

In an era of rapidly increasing data sharing especially regarding tax evasion and off-shore investments, it would be extremely foolish to assume your overseas secrets will remain secret indefinitely!
Especially Panama
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 2:42 am
Just Joined

Lechtenberg is an unknown quantity at this point

You are a victim of the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP), designed to limit the liabilities of the US Social Security fund when people (not necessarily immigrants, because it also applies to government workers who have pension arrangements independent of Social Security) have other pension income.

You might be eligible to make up to seven years additional payments to your UK National Insurance account, which would boost your UK pension pro rata for the additional years.
If you are over retirement age I didn't think you could buy any more credits to enhance your UK pension.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 2:45 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If you are over retirement age I didn't think you could buy any more credits to enhance your UK pension.
I believe that is correct, but I wasn't sure of the age of the person asking, and at very least it might help someone else reading the thread.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 3:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
You have to have a pretty decent income to pay higher premiums:

High income beneficiaries. Retirees with high incomes have been paying bigger Medicare Part B premiums since 2007. Those with retirement incomes between $85,000 and $107,000 ($170,000 to $214,000 for couples) will pay $170.50 in Medicare Part B premiums in 2016. The premium jumps to $243.60 for retirees earning from $107,000 to $160,000 ($214,000 to $320,000 for couples) and $316.70 for those with incomes of $160,000 to $214,000 ($320,000 to $428,000 for couples). People who earn more than $214,000 as an individual or $428,000 as a couple pay $389.80 per month for Medicare Part B. Less than 5 percent of Medicare beneficiaries pay these inflated premiums.
Are these increased amounts added to a basic premium, or are they the actual amount you would pay if your income falls in one of these brackets.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 3:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lansbury
The law bring in WEP was passed in 1983. What you really mean is you assumed something without bothering to check how SS was calculated or paid. The information about the WEP are quite well detailed on the SS web site and published leaflets.
Because they are detailed doesn't make them fair. I feel I'm caught up in a system designed to deal with others problems. Being aware of something doesn't make it right. Having worked to earn my money, paid all my taxes and paid into both countries pension systems. It definitely feels as if my contributions are being stolen. I realize a lot of ex pats don't report their pensions. I did and look where honesty got me.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 3:27 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Because they are detailed doesn't make them fair. I feel I'm caught up in a system designed to deal with others problems. Being aware of something doesn't make it right. Having worked to earn my money, paid all my taxes and paid into both countries pension systems. It definitely feels as if my contributions are being stolen. I realize a lot of ex pats don't report their pensions. I did and look where honesty got me.
WEP was put in place for state and government workers. The US SS system pays proportionally more to people with lower life time incomes. An incomplete US work history because of non SS earnings makes your average US lifetime income artificially low and your SS check too big. Honesty prevented you from defrauding the US government and taxpayers.

As for Medicare, the premiums go up for the wealthy. Comfort yourself with the thought that you have far more than most people in the US even after paying more for Medicare, you are helping people with less money than you "noblesse oblige".

Last edited by nun; Apr 22nd 2016 at 3:33 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 6:35 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

The UK DWP and SSA exchange information, for example SSA will tell DWP when your death is reported to the SSA. So those not reporting UK DWP pension run a risk. WEP as others have said is designed to stop people who receive non SS pensions from receiving a higher SS than they would because lower income recorded by the SS system. It effects many of us.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 1:21 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Are these increased amounts added to a basic premium, or are they the actual amount you would pay if your income falls in one of these brackets.
The actual premiums (for Part B).
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy credits for six years in arrears. I think if any of those years are before your state retirement age, you can buy credit for them even if at the time of buying you are past retirement age.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 2:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I realize a lot of ex pats don't report their pensions. .....
And your evidence for that statement is ..... ?
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

And your evidence for that statement is ..... ?
A number of people have told me they don't report there pensions because the US gov. Takes a chunk of them away. I know it's illegal, but I can't say I blame them.
As far as my being lucky my husband and I have more money than most. It has nothing to do with luck. It has to do with working hard. Both in school and life. We, don't have anything we didn't earn. It wasn't a "windfall". Neither of us came from wealthy families. No one gave us free money. And as far as I'm concerned I didn't pay into the system for it to be given randomly to someone else, who quite possible is in need because they don't want to work. If I want to give some of my hard earned money away I'd rather choose who It goes to so that I can make sure its someone deserving of it.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 9:11 pm

A number of people have told me they don't report there pensions because the US gov. Takes a chunk of them away. I know it's illegal, but I can't say I blame them.
As far as my being lucky my husband and I have more money than most. It has nothing to do with luck. It has to do with working hard. Both in school and life. We, don't have anything we didn't earn. It wasn't a "windfall". Neither of us came from wealthy families. No one gave us free money. And as far as I'm concerned I didn't pay into the system for it to be given randomly to someone else, who quite possible is in need because they don't want to work. If I want to give some of my hard earned money away I'd rather choose who It goes to so that I can make sure its someone deserving of it.
Overall, I am inclined to agree with you, and the way the wind is blowing, people who have pensions they aren't declaring may get an ugly shock in the not-too-distant future.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 9:16 pm

As far as my being lucky my husband and I have more money than most.
In your original post you didn't say anything about your husbands SS. How many years has he paid into it, and is he subject to WEP?
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Overall, I am inclined to agree with you, and the way the wind is blowing, people who have pensions they aren't declaring may get an ugly shock in the not-too-distant future.
Agreed - given the current climate about declaring foreign assets, I would've thought it'd be very likely for someone to realize that most nation states pay pensions, so if someone moved to the US during their adulthood, chances are there's a foreign pension lurking in the background. All the necessary information to work this out is already in the government computers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.