Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK state pension and USA social security

UK state pension and USA social security

Old Aug 26th 2015, 11:02 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

We didn't have to provide any documentation. We applied online and where then interviewed by telephone. We gave the details of our UK pensions and swearing on the usual pain of perjury etc those details were accepted without further proof.

Last edited by lansbury; Aug 26th 2015 at 11:07 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

UK2US1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nun
When I apply for SS I won't mention my UK state pension because it's been paid for entirely with voluntary NICa and also it will be the flat rate pension and not related to earnings. However. I will tell them about my MA state pension if the WEP rules don't change.
Don't know much about the new Pension scheme which would become effective 2016 and whether it is earnings related or not but based on what I have read, Pension related to voluntary NICs is not WEPable. So, it doesn't even have to be a "flat rate" in your case.
As to the current Pension scheme that became effective on April 6, 1975, NI contributions are treated as earnings based whereas prior to that period, contributions were Flar rate (stamp based) and as such it would appear that a portion of pension related to that period is not WEPable. I think we have discussed this aspect before.

nun, you never lived and worked in England?
Old Aug 27th 2015, 2:12 pm
Corrie Fan

hutchiebug is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
We didn't have to provide any documentation. We applied online and where then interviewed by telephone. We gave the details of our UK pensions and swearing on the usual pain of perjury etc those details were accepted without further proof.
Lansbury - I might just do it this way when I receive my UK Pension letter. I have the online app completed, ready to go.

I had been told because my case is 'unique' (WEP, deferred), I should make an appointment with Social Security.

I love this B.E. site! Thanks again!
Old Aug 27th 2015, 5:16 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hutchiebug
Lansbury - I might just do it this way when I receive my UK Pension letter. I have the online app completed, ready to go.

I had been told because my case is 'unique' (WEP, deferred), I should make an appointment with Social Security.

Apply online. You will then get an email acknowledgement with the name and phone number of the person dealing with your claim. Call them it went to voicemail when I did and he called me back later that day. Same guy dealt with both my wife and myself. He was very knowledgeable about WEP and explained it to me assuming I didn't know about it. The call as it was both of us lasted about 20 minutes. At the end of the call for my wife he told her the full pension amount, the amount which would be deducted for WEP and the amount she would receive. For myself he told me the amount my wife would have got if she waited until 66 to claim, and told me my SS would be half of that amount. As it was a spouse pension it wasn't subject to WEP. All would be confirmed in writing in about a month. The figures he quoted my wife were the same as I had got from the online WEP calculator.

I expected to have to take our marriage certificate at least to the local office. But he asked both my wife and I when and where we were married, and as our answers were the same and we swore such on oath that was sufficient. A lot easier than going to the local office and they clearly assigned our claim to someone knowledgeable in overseas pensions and WEP. The worse than can happen I would suspect is you are asked to either send in some documents, or take them to your local office, it's your choice which.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Westham is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: UK state pension and USA social security

I am trying to hang on for another year or so prior to claiming social security
but when I do I will follow your lead and apply online and then have a telephone interview, seems a good way to go rather than waiting to get called in some scruffy office for the interview.
Thank you Lansbury.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

I filed form SSA 308 with notes and the Pension Award letter attached to it. The Award letter gives amount of basic pension, additional pension as well as graduated pension. That is Total pension.

Trying to understand what you mean when you say "monthly deferred payment". Do you mean "Extra Pension"? That is the term DWP use . Did you not receive a letter from DWP about your deferral and the options you have? In that letter they also explain how the "extra Pension" is calculated. You will then note that it is only Interest on the money you left with them. As such it should not have any thing to do with WEP ( unless you want to have it assessed on you, regardless!). Also, someone correct me if I am wrong, You are assessed WEP from the date you start claiming your UK pension from the date you start claiming it.

By the way, I take it you have been claiming your US social Security for sometime now and only put off claiming your UK Pension.

Here is the wording from DWP re "How extra Pension is worked out":

<From 6 April 2005, you earn extra 1/5%for every week you put off claiming.........
For example, if you put off claiming weekly state pension for 78 weeks and the amount of pension at the time you claim is 120 (GBP ) you would get 1/5% x 120 = 0.24 x 78 = an extra 18.72( GBP) added to your 120 ( GBP) weekly state pension........>

So, if you use this formula and claculate your "extra pension" that you opted for, you will find that it is all made up of Interest. It is taxable for sure, but how can it(i.e interest) be subject to WEP!
Old Aug 28th 2015, 12:18 am
Corrie Fan

Apply online. You will then get an email acknowledgement with the name and phone number of the person dealing with your claim. Call them it went to voicemail when I did and he called me back later that day. Same guy dealt with both my wife and myself. He was very knowledgeable about WEP and explained it to me assuming I didn't know about it. The call as it was both of us lasted about 20 minutes. At the end of the call for my wife he told her the full pension amount, the amount which would be deducted for WEP and the amount she would receive. For myself he told me the amount my wife would have got if she waited until 66 to claim, and told me my SS would be half of that amount. As it was a spouse pension it wasn't subject to WEP. All would be confirmed in writing in about a month. The figures he quoted my wife were the same as I had got from the online WEP calculator.

I expected to have to take our marriage certificate at least to the local office. But he asked both my wife and I when and where we were married, and as our answers were the same and we swore such on oath that was sufficient. A lot easier than going to the local office and they clearly assigned our claim to someone knowledgeable in overseas pensions and WEP. The worse than can happen I would suspect is you are asked to either send in some documents, or take them to your local office, it's your choice which.
Thank you, everyone, for your advice. I will file online (thank you, Lansbury), after I receive my letter from the UK Pension Service. I can take it to my local 'scruffy' Social Security Office if need arises.

I have not started taking my Social Security benefits yet, but I want to have the procedure 'down pat' before I venture forth.

I now understand that the only part of my full UK State Pension that is WEP-able are the work-based years of my pension

I owe you all a round of pints, and will keep you updated as to my progress. Thanks again!
Old Sep 28th 2015, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

It is, it is six numbers similar to this. 52-11-34.
Thanks for the info, Lansbury. My brother had set up an external checking account at Natwest in London in mid 1960s prior to leaving the country. He still has the old check book. The code on the old check is different from the one stated on his current bank statement. I guess the bank code must have changed over the years. Not sure about it.

Does your bank statement also state the bank code in addition to the Account #?

can the pension be deposited into his Savings account that he has at the same bank in additin to his checking account?

On a different note, he is trying to sort out his NI #. It seems that he noted down his NI incorrectly when he was leaving the country. Has any one ever had a problem tracing their NI #?
Old Sep 28th 2015, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by UK2US1979
Thanks for the info, Lansbury. My brother had set up an external checking account at Natwest in London in mid 1960s prior to leaving the country. He still has the old check book. The code on the old check is different from the one stated on his current bank statement. I guess the bank code must have changed over the years. Not sure about it.

Does your bank statement also state the bank code in addition to the Account #?

can the pension be deposited into his Savings account that he has at the same bank in additin to his checking account?

On a different note, he is trying to sort out his NI #. It seems that he noted down his NI incorrectly when he was leaving the country. Has any one ever had a problem tracing their NI #?
He should use the sort code on his current bank statement. I only have online statements which just shows the account number. But the sort code is shown elsewhere online in the account summary.

My savings account has the same sort code, but a different account number to my checking account, and I can make deposits directly to it.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 7:56 pm

Update to mine and Mrs L SS application. All went as told to us in the telephone interview, and our first SS payments went into our bank earlier this month. The amounts were as stated they would be.

The only slight variation to the process was on my application. Mrs L applied for SS and medicare at the same time, and received her written confirmation with 2 weeks. I was already receiving medicare when I applied for SS and was told my written confirmation would take a month. It took longer and arrived at the end of the month prior to my SS payments starting, which I found out is the normal process. Also the medicare account number is a persons SS number followed by a letter, I was issued with a new medicare card and change of account number, to Mrs Ls SS number.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 9:43 pm
R50
Just Joined

R50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nun
I am reached 65yrs age. QUalifying for UK Basic Pension and UK Company Pension.I have chosen to differ these two pension and will be applying for US SS in 2016.
If I continue to differ my UK Pensions untill I reached to 70 yrs, WEP will apply to my US SS even though I am not claiming and choosing to differ?
WIll appreciate your comment.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

He should use the sort code on his current bank statement. I only have online statements which just shows the account number. But the sort code is shown elsewhere online in the account summary.

My savings account has the same sort code, but a different account number to my checking account, and I can make deposits directly to it.

Thanks, Lansbury. Helpful Information. I would use the information as per his current statement. His Savings Account too has the same sort Code with a different Account #. He would provide his savings account # so that the deposit can be made directly into his savings Account.

Now he has to sort out his NI #. I have asked him to also contact HMRC for his "lost" NI #.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 4:07 pm
Corrie Fan

Update to mine and Mrs L SS application. All went as told to us in the telephone interview, and our first SS payments went into our bank earlier this month. The amounts were as stated they would be. The only slight variation to the process was on my application. Mrs L applied for SS and medicare at the same time, and received her written confirmation with 2 weeks. I was already receiving medicare when I applied for SS and was told my written confirmation would take a month. It took longer and arrived at the end of the month prior to my SS payments starting, which I found out is the normal process. Also the medicare account number is a persons SS number followed by a letter, I was issued with a new medicare card and change of account number, to Mrs Ls SS number.
Lansbury, thank you for your update. I did receive my letter from HMRC. Pre-1975 contributions were not computerized and are listed as so many credits, and worked years after that are listed with dates and amounts. I hope SS folks can interpret that. Voluntary payment years are listed as year, 'qualified,' 52 credits. Ditto that.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 6:03 pm

Lansbury, thank you for your update. I did receive my letter from HMRC. Pre-1975 contributions were not computerized and are listed as so many credits, and worked years after that are listed with dates and amounts. I hope SS folks can interpret that. Voluntary payment years are listed as year, 'qualified,' 52 credits. Ditto that.
I think you should be prepared to break it down into amounts. Starting point being all years counting towards your pension are worth an equal amount. See what the SS folks accept. Unless the UK break it down by years for you it will be impossible to determine what each years payment etc are worth.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

I too finally (after 3 months wait) received a letter from HMRC stating clearly that from 6 April 1975, people who are employed pay "earnings-related contributions". It goes on to say..these are based on a percentage of any salary received between the Lower and Upper Earnings Limits in a Tax year.I had asked them specifically which contributions fell under "earnings based/related. It is clear that for purposes of WEP, it is, at least, the portion after 6 april 1975 that would count towards WEP. Pre 1975 probably would not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.