Reload this Page >

UK state pension and USA social security

UK state pension and USA social security

Old Apr 23rd 2015, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

UK2US1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by lansbury
We didn't receive anything from the UK to give to social security. I would not expect most staff a the DWP to know anything about WEP and the forms here. When we did our SS claim the other day we were not asked to submit a form 308. The guy dealing with our claim was happy to accept the information verbally, with just the usual statement by us that the information was true and to give false information was perjury.

The SSA staff member we spoke to didn't know what the UK State pension was and we had to explain that to him. I think he was confused by the use of State in the name, having a different meaning to State in the USA. Having said that we found the whole process of claiming SS very easy and straightforward, and the guy we dealt very professional and helpful.
Which office of the SSA did you call? Local or Regional. If I recall correctly, your wife's UK pension was not subject to WEP because she had already been WEPed out on account of other pensions?
In my case, because I have been drawing the SS for the past 3 years or so and will be getting the UK state pension only now (actually a couple or three months from now), I should probably file Form 308 with appropriate notes on why Pre April1975 employment years are not to be part of the WEP calculation as the contributions up until then were flat rate stamps as opposed to "earnings based" ( which became effective April 6, 1975) on which the current Pension system is based.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/forms/ssa-308.pdf.
Of the Questions 3 to 5 in this form, as I understand it, employment periods in Q4 (and hence portion of the pension related to this period) are the ones subject to WEP. This then should include only the years/periods from April 6, 1975 on. If periods Pre 1975 are included in Q4, there is a risk of WEP mistakenly calculated also on Pre 1975 contributions/years.

I will appreciate yours and nun's and others thoughts on this.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 1:43 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK2US1979
The Pension officer at DWP, amongst other things, also said that after they process the claim, they will send me a document/form (I think she said it had a number beginning with something like 1 BR......) that she said I should take it to the SSA office for WEP purposes. She said it was different from the Award letter. I forgot to ask her in what respect it differed from the Award letter because this too, to my knowledge, contained all the pension info. When I mentioned the WEP Form 308 that we are required to file with the SSA here, she didn't seem to know what it was! Did anyone who have lately received the UK state Pension, get any such document/form in addition to the Award letter? Also, those who are going to be receiving state pension ( Lansbury for his wife), please share the information if they do receive any such document. I prefer to keep it simple and file just the form 308.
The IPC BR1 is the international pension claim form.....is that what you mean? I would be very dubious about anything DWP tells you about US SS or WEP as they know nothing of the US system. Just follow the SSA rules.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 2:19 am
Just Joined

gester is an unknown quantity at this point

Can one assume that form 308 is not required when SSA contributions exceed 30 years?
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 2:49 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gester
Can one assume that form 308 is not required when SSA contributions exceed 30 years?
If you are required to file it or not in those circumstances I am not sure. However it will not make any difference in regards to WEP as WEP doesn't come into play if you have 30 or more years of contributions.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nun
The IPC BR1 is the international pension claim form.....is that what you mean? I would be very dubious about anything DWP tells you about US SS or WEP as they know nothing of the US system. Just follow the SSA rules.
It sounded something like that but I am sure she was referring to some other document. I agree with you I should just file what the SSA requires. i.e 308. It seems to me, Question 3 is the pertinent one in that it is on which the calculation is made. If so, what is the relevance of Q 3 and even Q 5 to that matter? Your thoughts?
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

It sounded something like that but I am sure she was referring to some other document. I agree with you I should just file what the SSA requires. i.e 308. It seems to me, Question 3 is the pertinent one in that it is on which the calculation is made. If so, what is the relevance of Q 3 and even Q 5 to that matter? Your thoughts?
<It seems to me, Question 3 is the pertinent one in that it is on which the calculation is made> Sorry, meant to say Q4 is the pertinent one.......
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 3:39 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Which office of the SSA did you call? Local or Regional. If I recall correctly, your wife's UK pension was not subject to WEP because she had already been WEPed out on account of other pensions?
My wife has the UK State pension, and a UK private pension. Either of those on their own caused her to reach the maximum deduction under WEP. They took details of both, so it didn't matter discussing voluntary contributions with them. My wife had 9 years of work contributions, and 3 extra years we purchased, plus her penson was increased when I retired to 60% of mine. But as her private pension which is all earnings related would have maxed out the WEP there was no point in discussing the finer points of the UK State pension. We filed online and each received an email to call a telephone number and speak to a named person to complete our application. One person dealt with both of us, but where in the USA they were I have no idea.

Last edited by lansbury; Apr 23rd 2015 at 3:41 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

ExRN is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm new to the forum and to British expats so forgive me if this is not on topic. I clicked on the link from a previous page in this discussion which showed the SSA.gov publication on WEP. Several posts in this forum have said WEP does not apply after 30 years substantial earnings. The publication says the same yet the table at the end has 30+ years = 90%
Last year my SSA was up to 85% after 29 years substantial earnings so they were sticking to that chart. How do I get to 100% ?
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Peter124 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ExRN
I'm new to the forum and to British expats so forgive me if this is not on topic. I clicked on the link from a previous page in this discussion which showed the SSA.gov publication on WEP. Several posts in this forum have said WEP does not apply after 30 years substantial earnings. The publication says the same yet the table at the end has 30+ years = 90%
Last year my SSA was up to 85% after 29 years substantial earnings so they were sticking to that chart. How do I get to 100% ?
Take a look at this chart:
Retirement Planner: How the Windfall Elimination Provision Can Affect Your Social Security Benefit
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 3:28 pm

The SSA work out you Average Indexed Monthly Earnings over the period you paid into SS. That amount is split into three bands. The lower band at present is $0 to $791. The 90% refers to the amount of your earnings in that band which will be paid as SS. The other higher bands have lower percentages. 90% is the most that you can get from the lowest band. It isn't a percentage of your SS payment.

If you make 30 years of payments WEP does not apply.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

ExRN is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both for the info.
I can now retire!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

I am trying to figure out how the deferral lump sum will be treated for WEP purposes ( if, at all). Therefore will really appreciate your input.
As I reasearch and read more about it, form 308 question pertaining to Lump sum is for situations where people have cashed out their Pension instead of taking periodic payments in future years. SSA manual talks of how such lump sum is treated for calculation of WEP etc.i.e it is spread out in future years using the actuarial table.
I also remember reading somewhere in the SSA manual that WEP applies when the other pension is received as opposed to when one became eligible. Do others here have similar understanding? So, if that is the case, am I correct in understanding that WEP will not be calculated on my past Social security which I have been receiving for the past 3+ years?

Could I make a case that WEP should be calculated on UK state pension going forward plus " extra pension" which I could have taken instead of the lump sum even though I did not opt for the first option. For all I know, this is how the SSA would treat such situations any way but at present I dont know for sure. Obviously I want to avoid paying WEP on the past 3 years or of Social Security out of my lump sum. That would be a lot.

Any thoughts nun, lansbury and others?
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 6:36 pm

My understanding is SS take the lump and calculate what your pension would be if you didn't take the lump sum, but took the higher monthly pension. That higher pension amount is used in the WEP calculations.

WEP only comes into play from the date you are receiving both your UK and US pensions.

Last edited by lansbury; Apr 23rd 2015 at 6:46 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Sailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond repute

I received my award letter for UK state pension at the beginning of April this year - there was no other supporting documentation for submitting to SSA here.
Now that I have the ward letter I have the joy of informing SSA as I am already receiving social security. Can anyone clarify for me that no more than a 50% diminishment is benefits can be expected after WEP. In the back of my mind i seem to remember lansbury saying he expected no social security - but perhaps I'm misremembering.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Sailortobe
In the back of my mind i seem to remember lansbury saying he expected no social security - but perhaps I'm misremembering.
I did say that but that would have been caused by the Government Pension Offset, not WEP. Fortunately even the GOP didn't come into play so I will indeed be receiving a SS spouse benefit.

This is the online WEP calculator Online Calculator (WEP Version). We used it to work out Mrs L pension and it was spot on to what she was awarded.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.