Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK state pension and USA social security

UK state pension and USA social security

Old Dec 27th 2014, 3:52 am
Just Joined

Loaded4th is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Not sure if this is covered in this long thread, but here are some notes I put together...

There are three segments that make up the Social Security retirement benefit calculation; these are called bend points. Bend Points are the portions of your average income (Average Indexed Monthly Earnings – AIME) in specific dollar amounts that are indexed each year, based upon an obscure table called the Average Wage Index (AWI) Series. They are called bend points because they represent points on a graph of your AIME in calculating the PIA (Primary Insurance Amount), and they actually bend.
For people not subject to the WEP (Windfall Elimination Provision), the first amount, or segment, is multiplied by 90%, the second amount is multiplied by 32% and the remainder by 15%.
For people who are subject to the WEP, the first amount, or segment, is multiplied by 40 to 90% depending upon how many years of substantial earnings they have accumulated. The second amount is still multiplied by 32% and the remainder by 15%. In my case I have 20 or less years of substantial earnings, which makes my first percentage 40%
Old Dec 27th 2014, 4:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lin_NJ
Hi, I have just joined the board. I will likely be taking a WEP hit, so this has been an invaluable discussion. Interestingly, there was a federal district court case very recently, Rabanal v. Colvin, Oct. 18, 2013, in the federal district court in Colorado where the judge ordered the SSA to undo the WEP on a Spanish senior (who was representing himself). The court construed the regulations to disallow application of WEP where the foreign pension included both earnings related and voluntary contributions. The Judge said, "the regulation expressly excludes from the WEP any pension from a social insurance system [here the Spanish one at issue] that is based on residence or citizenship, regardless of whether it is also based on earnings." The Regulation he is referring to is 20 C.F.R. 404.213(a)(3).

This Order has not been appealed by the SSA and it is out of time to do so. I wonder whether it is worth further challenges based on that reading for those of us with voluntary as well as earnings related contributions, such as I made in the UK.
Lin_NJ, Do you have any further information regarding this case of Rabanal v. Colvin and if anyone else has been similarly successful? I see that the case is listed at: https://www.cod.uscourts.gov/Documen...-01569-REB.pdf

I found also: http://www.orng-vet.org/retirement/i...A%204-2012.pdf

Last edited by Loaded4th; Dec 27th 2014 at 4:37 am. Reason: link
Old Dec 27th 2014, 4:13 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I (and I think the SSA) have always read the WEP rules as not being applied to any voluntary contribution or citizenship based pension, ie those that are not due to non SS earned income. So the WEP amount would only be that fraction of the pension that was from non-SS earnings.

For example as a teenager in the UK I got 3 years of NI for being in Sixth Form College and have made 27 years of voluntary Class 2 NI, so none of my UK state pension will be applicable to WEP. If I had a single year of UK Class 1 NI I would declare 1/35th of my UK pension for WEP.....assuming I get the new UK pension. If you collect under the old rules that have some earnings component the calculation would be more complicated.

Last edited by nun; Dec 27th 2014 at 4:25 am.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Lin_NJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Loaded4th
Lin_NJ, Do you have any further information regarding this case of Rabanal v. Colvin and if anyone else has been similarly successful? I see that the case is listed at: https://www.cod.uscourts.gov/Documen...-01569-REB.pdf

I found also: http://www.orng-vet.org/retirement/i...A%204-2012.pdf
Today I examined whether Rabanal v. Colvin had developed. First, it has not been appealed to a higher court, which would be the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit. Therefore it remains unchallenged decisional law. Second, as far as I can determine the case has not been cited in any other case anywhere in the United States. That means no other court is relying on it. But that could simply mean that no other case on similar facts has presented itself. Nun notes that the SSA is aware that it cannot include any voluntary contributions people like us make to our UK state pension entitlement. The court's decision in the Rabanal went much further and disallowed application of WEP where the other pension was ALSO based on residency or citizenship, quoting the actual regulation which provides that a foreign pension subject to the WEP inncludes "pensions from social security systems that base benefits on earnings BUT NOT on residence or citizenship..." The Court read that language to exclude in total any foreign state pensions that in any way occur because of residency or citizenship, regardless of whether they are also based on earnings. The SSA in Rabanal had determined that the claimant's pension from Spain was based on "his work as a Spanish citizen in Spain", and therefore under the Court's reasoning that citizenship element meant the WEP could not be applied. Would or could the same approach be applied to me? Who knows! I am a US citizen, but I was brought up in England and worked there for many years. When I returned to the US I continued to make voluntary contributions to my UK pension. I was certainly resident in the UK. Does that mean my UK state pension is also based on "residency" so as to arrive at the same conclusion as the Court arrived at in Rabanal? I do not know how a court would rule on the issue in my distict of New Jersey. But if I was going to challenge the WEP I would certainly be using that Rabanal decision as the basis for my argument. (Note I am still some years from claiming either US or UK pensions and will delay as long as possible to take advantage of the delay-increases which are quite hefty in the US social security system, about 8% per year).

The decision in the VETs case that you noted rests on different facts, there the claimant was determined to have been in the armed services, apparently the rules obviate application of the WEP in those circumstances.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 12:46 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

nun, I'm going to begin the process of applying for my SS online. When I fill out the section about other pensions earned that were not SS income, do I just do my own calculation about what proportion of my British state pension will be due to voluntary contributions, or do I have to get some confirmation from the authorities in the UK? I'm planning to begin my British state pension a bit later, age 66 or later..
Old Dec 27th 2014, 1:50 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
nun, I'm going to begin the process of applying for my SS online. When I fill out the section about other pensions earned that were not SS income, do I just do my own calculation about what proportion of my British state pension will be due to voluntary contributions, or do I have to get some confirmation from the authorities in the UK? I'm planning to begin my British state pension a bit later, age 66 or later..
I'd give the SSA a call and ask, but my inclination would be to just do the calculation myself and enter the portion of any foreign pension that is due to non-SS earnings.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

Today I examined whether Rabanal v. Colvin had developed. First, it has not been appealed to a higher court, which would be the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit. Therefore it remains unchallenged decisional law. Second, as far as I can determine the case has not been cited in any other case anywhere in the United States. That means no other court is relying on it. But that could simply mean that no other case on similar facts has presented itself. Nun notes that the SSA is aware that it cannot include any voluntary contributions people like us make to our UK state pension entitlement. The court's decision in the Rabanal went much further and disallowed application of WEP where the other pension was ALSO based on residency or citizenship, quoting the actual regulation which provides that a foreign pension subject to the WEP inncludes "pensions from social security systems that base benefits on earnings BUT NOT on residence or citizenship..." The Court read that language to exclude in total any foreign state pensions that in any way occur because of residency or citizenship, regardless of whether they are also based on earnings. The SSA in Rabanal had determined that the claimant's pension from Spain was based on "his work as a Spanish citizen in Spain", and therefore under the Court's reasoning that citizenship element meant the WEP could not be applied. Would or could the same approach be applied to me? Who knows! I am a US citizen, but I was brought up in England and worked there for many years. When I returned to the US I continued to make voluntary contributions to my UK pension. I was certainly resident in the UK. Does that mean my UK state pension is also based on "residency" so as to arrive at the same conclusion as the Court arrived at in Rabanal? I do not know how a court would rule on the issue in my distict of New Jersey. But if I was going to challenge the WEP I would certainly be using that Rabanal decision as the basis for my argument. (Note I am still some years from claiming either US or UK pensions and will delay as long as possible to take advantage of the delay-increases which are quite hefty in the US social security system, about 8% per year).

The decision in the VETs case that you noted rests on different facts, there the claimant was determined to have been in the armed services, apparently the rules obviate application of the WEP in those circumstances.
Thanks for the update! Seems there are two main issues, payments made voluntarily or mandatory as well as payments made as a foreign national? I think I will pursue this and post any relevant info...
Old Dec 27th 2014, 6:34 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

In the Spanish case the distinction is made between "work" and "earnings". So if any part of your foreign pension is earnings related ie the old UK system or a private pension then WEP will apply. Interestingly as the UK has now instituted a state pension that is not connected to earnings and is based only on the number of years of contributions you make I think it could be argued that that pension would not fall under the WEP rules.

If you earned money in the UK, and no US SS tax was paid on that money, then any UK private pension and UK state pension that is earnings related will be included in WEP (IMHO). If you are retiring after 2016 and will come under the new UK pension rules (again IMHO) the new flat rate pension should not be used in WEP as it is not based on earnings and is only based on the number or years of contributions you have made.

Last edited by nun; Dec 27th 2014 at 6:38 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nun
In the Spanish case the distinction is made between "work" and "earnings". So if any part of your foreign pension is earnings related ie the old UK system or a private pension then WEP will apply. Interestingly as the UK has now instituted a state pension that is not connected to earnings and is based only on the number of years of contributions you make I think it could be argued that that pension would not fall under the WEP rules.
Was the "old" UK system prior to when one could opt-out and focus on an employer system? Are you saying that the "old" system was voluntary?
Old Dec 27th 2014, 6:57 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Loaded4th
Was the "old" UK system prior to when one could opt-out and focus on an employer system? Are you saying that the "old" system was voluntary?
No, just saying that the old system had an earnings related component. You might argue that the basic state pension that everyone got with a full NI record would not count towards WEP, just the second and supplementary state pensions and any UK private pensions that were earnings related. The new state pension is not earnings related.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 7:51 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
No, just saying that the old system had an earnings related component. You might argue that the basic state pension that everyone got with a full NI record would not count towards WEP, just the second and supplementary state pensions and any UK private pensions that were earnings related. The new state pension is not earnings related.
Hang on though, under the old UK system, didn't you get years of credit for non-work situations like unemployment, disability, maybe even for being a carer for a family member? Not sure about that last one. But I think my wife had lengthy periods of unemployment in the late 1980s and she got NI credit for them??

Should such NI years not be subject to WEP either?
Old Dec 27th 2014, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

I agree that the Rabanal opinion does have a discussion about how earnings and work are not necessarily the same thing. However the judge seemed to base his decision on the residency or citizenship language of the SSA regulations. It is an interesting turn of events. I take your point, Nun, regarding the recent changes in the UK system that might also have an impact on whether WEP is applied. I will definitely be coming in under the new UK rules and I am waiting to hear whether I have to make a dew more top-ups. It may well be that as we globalized pensioners begin to hit the system in greater numbers there will be further US court rulings as to the issue. I am certainly keeping a weather eye on it.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 2:47 pm
Corrie Fan

hutchiebug is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nun
I'd give the SSA a call and ask, but my inclination would be to just do the calculation myself and enter the portion of any foreign pension that is due to non-SS earnings.
Nun - thank you for this info. I will be applying for my SS next August when I turn 66. I was unsure about how to highlight my 10 years of UK employment from my 17 years of voluntary payments, and five years of deferral.

Thanks, Nun!
Old Dec 28th 2014, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Hutchiebug- have a look at the Social Security Programs Operations Manual, for instance GN 00307.290 which guides the SSA on how it should apply the WEP and that voluntary contributions are excluded from the calculation. It us available online just plug that reference into Google and it will pop up.
Old Dec 29th 2014, 12:06 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I received my approval to pay Class 2 NI a couple of days ago. ..... I can pay the current and 7 preceding years.

For some most peculiar reason my NI statement and approval to pay Class 2 was mailed from Malta.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.