Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK state pension and USA social security

UK state pension and USA social security

Old Feb 9th 2014, 5:59 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by robin1234
I do understand the chagrin and dismay of people who are only finding out about WEP late in the day. I think it is part of a bigger picture, where information about retirement, retirement planning, investment etc. from good organisations like AARP
I will say that I have discovered, since this thread started, there is in fact quite good information about WEP on the AARP web site.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 6:10 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I agree with Robin here, and it is because you earn the bulk of your SS in the early years, it is not linear like all/many/most private pension schemes. (For every year I worked, my private pension increased by 1/60th of my average salary).
I think the old-style defined benefits schemes are peculiar in that way. The newer-style defined benefits schemes, based on career average salary make more sense as although the benefit is somewhat linear (1/80th or 1/60th), it is rescaled to take into account the amount of the contribution (which is proportional to the salary in each year) at each career point.

I just want a £10,000 pay rise in my final year. I'll even pay for it myself.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think the old-style defined benefits schemes are peculiar in that way. The newer-style defined benefits schemes, based on career average salary make more sense as although the benefit is somewhat linear (1/80th or 1/60th), it is rescaled to take into account the amount of the contribution (which is proportional to the salary in each year) at each career point.

I just want a £10,000 pay rise in my final year. I'll even pay for it myself.
The folks in my company that were getting close to retirement would be volunteering for as much overtime as they could get because the pension was based on the average of the last 5 years earnings, excluding bonuses but including overtime.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 6:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

The folks in my company that were getting close to retirement would be volunteering for as much overtime as they could get because the pension was based on the average of the last 5 years earnings, excluding bonuses but including overtime.
I'm pretty sure that colleagues in the Tennesee State retirement system (essentially a defined benefit scheme) also gained from teaching summer school classes for similar reasons. Amazing when you consider full-time SS pay was about 25% of annual salary!
Old Feb 9th 2014, 9:01 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I will say that I have discovered, since this thread started, there is in fact quite good information about WEP on the AARP web site.
Good to know, thanks!
Old Feb 9th 2014, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

FatFrank is an unknown quantity at this point

Not really. Nothing to do with how hard you work, but whether you would (without WEP) end up with a higher pension by splitting your work life between FICA paying employment and non FICA paying employment (for instance, working in the United Kingdom or in Massachusetts as a town or state employee) than by paying FICA all your working years.
So, does it work the other way around too then? I.e. If my SS benefits in the US are less than they would be had I not worked abroad, will they top it up for me?

No, of course not.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Robin here, and it is because you earn the bulk of your SS in the early years, it is not linear like all/many/most private pension schemes. (For every year I worked, my private pension increased by 1/60th of my average salary).
I don't think this is correct. The formula is skewed towards a higher percentage replacement of lower income earners as opposed to higher, and calculates the "average monthly index earnings" assuming a 35 year record of earnings. But I see see nothing in the formula that would weight things in terms of earlier years of employment. See pages 2 and 3 in the WEP section of this link:

https://www.copera.org/pdf/5/5-36.pdf
Old Feb 10th 2014, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I don't think this is correct. The formula is skewed towards a higher percentage replacement of lower income earners as opposed to higher, and calculates the "average monthly index earnings" assuming a 35 year record of earnings. But I see see nothing in the formula that would weight things in terms of earlier years of employment. See pages 2 and 3 in the WEP section of this link:

https://www.copera.org/pdf/5/5-36.pdf
I'm sure that you are correct. My assumption was based purely on my playing with the SS estimator after logging onto the SS site on the run up to my planned retirement age. The increase in SS for working an extra few years was very small and certainly made the decision to retire at 55 much easier.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

However, it is odd that US SS makes an issue of it but UK State Pension ignores it.
Presumably because the UK pension is a flat amount regardless of earnings (assuming you have the number of years needed for a "full" pension) whereas the US formula is based both on years and income. With the skewing of the formula to lower income earners the WEP attempts to deal with the perceived advantage the formula gives people who have paid less years into SS. The problem is it does it in a completely arbitrary and unfair manner, as some of the examples from theOAP illustrate.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:57 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FatFrank
So, does it work the other way around too then? I.e. If my SS benefits in the US are less than they would be had I not worked abroad, will they top it up for me?

No, of course not.
You'd probably be getting another pension for the years you didn't work in the US and pay FICA. For instance, British State Pension.

So no, not only would they not top it up for you, you'd probably be WEPed.

However, if you worked abroad and got no pension for it, then you wouldn't be WEPed but neither would you be topped up.

As you are discovering, life isn't always fair.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 8:02 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Presumably because the UK pension is a flat amount regardless of earnings (assuming you have the number of years needed for a "full" pension) whereas the US formula is based both on years and income. With the skewing of the formula to lower income earners the WEP attempts to deal with the perceived advantage the formula gives people who have paid less years into SS. The problem is it does it in a completely arbitrary and unfair manner, as some of the examples from theOAP illustrate.
Isn't the other big difference that the British state pension is not strictly based on years of earnings that pay a tax (FICA in the US SS case.). In Britain there is an element of social fairness or whatever, in that you get credit for years of unemployment, and I believe years of child care, elder care etc?
Old Feb 10th 2014, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Isn't the other big difference that the British state pension is not strictly based on years of earnings that pay a tax (FICA in the US SS case.). In Britain there is an element of social fairness or whatever, in that you get credit for years of unemployment, and I believe years of child care, elder care etc?
That's true, you do get credit for certain "non-employment" years. But the big difference with the US system is that the amount of UK pension you get is based on contribution years only, not on contribution years and income as is the case with US SS.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 2:42 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

US SS does have some "social fairness" as low wage workers get a larger SS payment in proportion to their lifetime earnings than highly paid people. Of course you don't pay FICA tax on wages over $117k so that's a break for the highly paid.

The new UK state pension will advantage the low paid and stay at home carers as it will be a flat rate based on years of contributions, not the size of the contribution. It is also a great benefit to those who pay voluntary NICs which might be of interest to a few folks here
Old Feb 10th 2014, 4:08 pm
Corrie Fan

hutchiebug is an unknown quantity at this point

Hopefully we may have the chance to make up some Voluntary NI Payments next year.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...ion-boost.html
Old Feb 10th 2014, 4:32 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by hutchiebug
Hopefully we may have the chance to make up some Voluntary NI Payments next year.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...ion-boost.html
Just in case people get too excited, this is restricted to people who will retire before the flat rate pension comes in (i.e., people who will reach state retirement age before April 2016). I think it is ostensibly to give a chance for those folks to make up somewhat for missing out on the higher flat rate pension.

It would have been a logistical nightmare, but I'd have thought they would have graduated the introduction of this rather than having people with birth dates within a few weeks of each other getting such a drastically different pension.

There seem to have been some very drastic changes in pensions in such a short time (three changes in how many years of contributions needed for full pension, change in retirement age, and a change from the dual-band pension to the flat rate pension). Some unfortunate people are getting stuck in the middle of it all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.