Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK state pension and USA social security

UK state pension and USA social security

Old Feb 21st 2019, 5:34 am
  #1591  
 
lansbury's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 9,296
lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
If she qualified for a UK state pension based on being your spouse then I don't think the totalization agreement would come into play:

"If you meet all the basic requirements under one country’s system, you will get a regular benefit from that country."

Your wife met the basic requirements by virtue of being your wife (no longer the case for newer retirees, I note...).
Yes but at the time she applied I was three years from being eligible to claim my UK pension. She wasn't entitled to 60% of mine until I could apply for it. So she didn't qualify at the time she applied, she only had 7 or 8 years in the UK system. But as she qualified for SS she was told her US credits couldn't be used. A fact I was told by several on here was correct.
lansbury is offline  
Old Feb 21st 2019, 9:05 am
  #1592  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 5,317
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
The information can be found in the NI38 instructions: https://assets.publishing.service.go...59966/NI38.pdf
This all interesting because I was accepted to pay Class 3 contributions even though I hadn't worked in UK a full three years before.
morpeth is offline  
Old Feb 21st 2019, 10:31 am
  #1593  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 2,318
durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
This all interesting because I was accepted to pay Class 3 contributions even though I hadn't worked in UK a full three years before.
don’t ask, don’t tell

when end you look up your record you may find you have been credited for years in full time education or part time work you forgot about. I was amazed to find 2 full years credit for my time at school when I was paid to stay after school at age 16 and 17 to clean up the chemistry lab and refill the bottles etc.
durham_lad is offline  
Old Feb 21st 2019, 2:54 pm
  #1594  
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 948
tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Has anyone submitted the CF83 in the last 6-12 months. How long did it take to get a notification with the class 2 contribution amounts ?
tht is offline  
Old Feb 21st 2019, 10:13 pm
  #1595  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 28
Russet has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

I mailed ours about 2/3 weeks ago, so will keep you informed. When I called I was advised they were very busy and had a back log but implied that we should hear back before the end of the UK tax year.
Russet is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 4:11 pm
  #1596  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 73
branmin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Been going through the threads and could someone just clarify something for me please. I just over the phone finally claimed my UK state pension, answered all the questions and it all went well and will start to receive it from end of June onwards by having it sent directly to my bank in the UK. Its about £168.00 per week. I realize the WEP consequences but overall will be better off I trust. I then mentioned my wife and asked if she could do her as well. No problem she said. Looking at the pension laws it appears that since she was born in April 1950, she does indeed qualify(so I thought) for 60% of my earnings as she just squeezes in by date to the old pension laws. This is when the lady I was talking to at the International Pension center became confused as said the laws have changed and she qualifies under the old laws but not the very old laws and she needed to work it all out and it was complicated and my wife could benefit more when she worked it all out. I tried to tell her that my wife only had about 3-5 working years(if that) and therefore there wouldn't be anything to work out as I know that taking the 60% is the best deal. I apparently had run out of time then(they are allowed it seems 30 minutes per person) and she said that my wife should call back another time to compete the form and details over the phone but obviously I wanted a true indication of what she will receive to start with.
So could someone confirm based on what I have said, that she does indeed qualify for 60% or not regardless if she only worked 3 or 5 years. I have tried to search this online without any luck. Greatly appreciated. Thx.
branmin is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 4:38 pm
  #1597  
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 948
tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by Russet View Post
I mailed ours about 2/3 weeks ago, so will keep you informed. When I called I was advised they were very busy and had a back log but implied that we should hear back before the end of the UK tax year.
OK, see we sent roughly around the same time. I assume logging in we may see the amount for 3 lowered to that for 2 before we get snail mail back.
tht is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 4:57 pm
  #1598  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Athens GA
Posts: 1,817
MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by branmin View Post
Been going through the threads and could someone just clarify something for me please. I just over the phone finally claimed my UK state pension, answered all the questions and it all went well and will start to receive it from end of June onwards by having it sent directly to my bank in the UK. Its about £168.00 per week. I realize the WEP consequences but overall will be better off I trust. I then mentioned my wife and asked if she could do her as well. No problem she said. Looking at the pension laws it appears that since she was born in April 1950, she does indeed qualify(so I thought) for 60% of my earnings as she just squeezes in by date to the old pension laws. This is when the lady I was talking to at the International Pension center became confused as said the laws have changed and she qualifies under the old laws but not the very old laws and she needed to work it all out and it was complicated and my wife could benefit more when she worked it all out. I tried to tell her that my wife only had about 3-5 working years(if that) and therefore there wouldn't be anything to work out as I know that taking the 60% is the best deal. I apparently had run out of time then(they are allowed it seems 30 minutes per person) and she said that my wife should call back another time to compete the form and details over the phone but obviously I wanted a true indication of what she will receive to start with.
So could someone confirm based on what I have said, that she does indeed qualify for 60% or not regardless if she only worked 3 or 5 years. I have tried to search this online without any luck. Greatly appreciated. Thx.
Interesting to see that you claimed by phone. I did the same but, in another thread, some expressed surprise that this was even possible and complained about the lengthy forms they had to complete.

I don't know the answer to your question about your wife's claim. I'm inclined to think that it is not necessarily simply 60%, otherwise the Pension Center would have immediately said so. I would call again as they are the only ones able to give a definitive reply.
MidAtlantic is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 5:53 pm
  #1599  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 73
branmin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

I just found this in connection to my original question, albeit written a few years ago. Doesn't sound too good but surely my UK born wife is not classified as a "foreign spouse?" If this law since April 2016 applies to all spouses then I'm buggered.

https://www.lovemoney.com/news/20919...erseas-spouses
branmin is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 7:59 pm
  #1600  
 
lansbury's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 9,296
lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by branmin View Post
I just found this in connection to my original question, albeit written a few years ago. Doesn't sound too good but surely my UK born wife is not classified as a "foreign spouse?" If this law since April 2016 applies to all spouses then I'm buggered.

https://www.lovemoney.com/news/20919...erseas-spouses
I've asked for my post above to be deleted because I was reading the wrong page on the pensions web site when I posted that. It applies to death benefit pension.

I think the advice on the pension web site to contact them and ask is best. I can't find anything by searching that refers to someone eligible to claim now, whose spouse was born when yours was. If you were both to be of pension age now then I believe the April 2016 law applies to all. But you seem to be a hybrid case that falls across several law changes and your wife is best to call and ascertain what the pension people say.
lansbury is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 8:11 pm
  #1601  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
mrken30's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Portlandia Metro
Posts: 7,144
mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

You’ll inherit half of your partner’s protected payment if your marriage or civil partnership with them began before 6 April 2016 and:
  • their State Pension age is on or after 6 April 2016
  • they died on or after 6 April 2016
It will be paid with your State Pension.

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension...-civil-partner
mrken30 is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 8:39 pm
  #1602  
 
lansbury's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 9,296
lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by mrken30 View Post
You’ll inherit half of your partner’s protected payment if your marriage or civil partnership with them began before 6 April 2016 and:
  • their State Pension age is on or after 6 April 2016
  • they died on or after 6 April 2016
It will be paid with your State Pension.

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension...-civil-partner
But neither the person asking the question or their spouse is deceased.
lansbury is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 8:44 pm
  #1603  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
mrken30's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Portlandia Metro
Posts: 7,144
mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by lansbury View Post
But neither the person asking the question or their spouse is deceased.
Not yet, but it is a guaranteed life event.
mrken30 is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 8:56 pm
  #1604  
 
lansbury's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 9,296
lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by mrken30 View Post
Not yet, but it is a guaranteed life event.
I'm sure he would prefer to wait until at least he and his wife have claimed their pensions.
lansbury is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2019, 1:19 pm
  #1605  
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 948
tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by Russet View Post
I mailed ours about 2/3 weeks ago, so will keep you informed. When I called I was advised they were very busy and had a back log but implied that we should hear back before the end of the UK tax year.
I logged in to the Gov.uk website this AM to check, and saw a “Check progress” tab at the top.

That shows “Recived on 01 Feb 2019” I assume that’s this form as it’s the only thing I have sent. It has a progress chart and the last one is “Expect a response by 18 Mar 2019”.
tht is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.