Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK state pension and USA social security

UK state pension and USA social security

Old Oct 22nd 2015, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

With all this mailing, does everyone know about global forever stamps?
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 4:13 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
With all this mailing, does everyone know about global forever stamps?
been using them since they came out.

ETA: Deleted a bit of my own message. These stamps are very useful to keep at home as you can put international outgoing mail in your mailbox and not have to take it to the post office.

Last edited by lansbury; Oct 22nd 2015 at 4:50 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

UK2US1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks every one for your valuable input. It is Woverhampton where the Claim form goes to. I sent mine regular mail , no problems. as Lansbury points out, it doesn't have a street address. Wondering if there is any one in Wolverhampton to sign for the mail, if sent registered or certified delivery? Yes, mail to HMRC can be sent certified. However, that is not the right place to send the claim form. Nun, my brother has indeed filed form 5403. It takes about 3 months to get a response from HMRC! By the way, calling the hotline (NI dept at HMRC) is a nightmare. You can stay on the phone for as long as 30 minutes and still no one answers. Just the recording to wait further!!
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

It is possible to telephone Longbenton and speak to a human. I know. I have done it !
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
been using them since they came out. ETA: Deleted a bit of my own message. These stamps are very useful to keep at home as you can put international outgoing mail in your mailbox and not have to take it to the post office.
Where do you buy them and how much do they cost? Will they work for large envelops such as the Claim form Package? That costs over $6 regular mail.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scot47
It is possible to telephone Longbenton and speak to a human. I know. I have done it !
Longbenton? Is this an HMRC office? If so, what Dept and what's the tel #? I have in the past called an HMRC # to inquire about my Tax status and had no problem connecting with an agent on the other end. It is the NI Dept telephone # (so called hotline), where no one answers. Apparently, they have numerous calls waiting all the time, no matter what time of day you call.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK2US1979
Where do you buy them and how much do they cost? Will they work for large envelops such as the Claim form Package? That costs over $6 regular mail.
Global forever stamps can only be used up to 1oz weight.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 7:01 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
Global forever stamps can only be used up to 1oz weight.
Mrs L puts more than one on if necessary. Never had a letter come back yet. Not sure I would do that if the postage is around the $6 UK2US1979 mentions, and of course doesn't help if you want to send registered.

Last edited by lansbury; Oct 22nd 2015 at 7:39 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 7:23 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs L puts more than one on if necessary. Never had a letter come back yet. .

Same here, also with no problems.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

You have to buy them at the post office. I think you can buy the Christmas ones at the moment.

I have to stock up after work tonight

10 for $12 or 4 for $4.80

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/...uctId=S_116944

Last edited by mrken30; Oct 22nd 2015 at 7:52 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Westham is an unknown quantity at this point

Mrs L puts more than one on if necessary. Never had a letter come back yet. Not sure I would do that if the postage is around the $6 UK2US1979 mentions, and of course doesn't help if you want to send registered.
If it is just over the weight limit and your not sure you can always add a regular USA forever stamp which is cheaper then doubling up on the forever overseas stamp.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

browsing the old emails from DWP, I found this: Might be of help to others in future.: <.....Sending correspondence by any courier service use the address below: Kidderminster MOUUnit 1Easter ParkKidderminsterDY11 7AR sending correspondance by Airmail, 1st Class and Registered post use the address below : The Pension Service 11Mail Handling Site AWolverhamptonWV98 1LWYours Sincerely >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> It seems Registered Mail can be sent at the Wolverhampton address. That might halp in locating the package? Isn't a signature required for the receipt of Registered mail on the other end? Furthermore, it seems the other address accepts mail by courier service. EXPENSIVE. BTW, where is Kidderminster?

Last edited by UK2US1979; Oct 23rd 2015 at 11:09 pm. Reason: spelling error
Old Oct 24th 2015, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

off topic: I don't understand why any new paragraph in my posts doesn't appear as such!
Old Oct 24th 2015, 7:57 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

off topic: I don't understand why any new paragraph in my posts doesn't appear as such!
British Expats - Announcements in Forum : USA
Old Nov 26th 2015, 2:16 am
Just Joined

chris_fuzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nun
also remember that any part of your UK SS that is due to NICs not connected with employment should not be included in the WEP calculation. For example I have 27 years of voluntary NICs and 3 years of credits for when I was at sixth form college. None of these contribution are connected with non-SS wages so I am not going to include my UK SS in any WEP calculations. It turns out that that is actually irrelevant for me becuase I work for a state that does not participate in SS so I have a non-SS wage state pension that will cause my SS from previous jobs to be WEPed to the max.
Hello Nun,

I am presently applying for SS benefits in the US. I have many years of voluntary NICs in the UK, but the SS are insisting on including all my NICs in my WEP calculation! I am very interested when you say that voluntary contributions do not count in the WEP. Do you have chapter and verse on that? I think they would listen to me if I could cite an SSA, or other official US Govt, document that says it.

Any information you could give would be helpful.

Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.