Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK state pension and USA social security

UK state pension and USA social security

Old Apr 23rd 2015, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Sailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by lansbury
I did say that but that would have been caused by the Government Pension Offset, not WEP. Fortunately even the GOP didn't come into play so I will indeed be receiving a SS spouse benefit.

This is the online WEP calculator Online Calculator (WEP Version). We used it to work out Mrs L pension and it was spot on to what she was awarded.
I'll check it out - thanks for the refresher.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

UK2US1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

My understanding is SS take the lump and calculate what your pension would be if you didn't take the lump sum, but took the higher monthly pension. That higher pension amount is used in the WEP calculations.

WEP only comes into play from the date you are receiving both your UK and US pensions.
<...WEP only comes into play from the date you are receiving both your UK and US pensions.[/QUOTE]
>>>>

So, WEP would be applied going forward (from the date I start taking the UK pension) and not back dated to apply to the date I started receiving just the US social security a few years back? I too think that would make sense. It would have been nice if any member here had gone through similar situation. My google search doesn't provide any answer or commenst on it.
One member who posted here recently (MMcd) also stated in the Post that he too had opted for the Deferral Lump sum because of delayed UK pension (instead of taking the "extra pension").

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 23rd 2015 at 7:57 pm. Reason: Site Rule 6. Private messages are exactly that - private.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

bPaul is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm wondering if the UK system is similar to that of the US in that a widow would get a survivor's state pension, and that would not count for the purposes of WEP. If a pension (public or private) isn't based on her own earnings, would she need to answer "yes" on the SSA app to getting non-covered pension in the future, and then let them follow up? She tried consulting someone at SSA, including on whether a "restricted application" (to her own record, before switching to the full survivor's payment) can/should be done by entering a comment in the online form. The answers didn't seem very solid, so uncertainty prevails. Any thoughts?

Last edited by bPaul; Apr 23rd 2015 at 8:56 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 9:02 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I believe there is a BE member who is/or will receive a spouse pension from the UK. They will I think claim that is not earnings related and therefore not subject to WEP.

I would argue the same. Any UK pension not derived from ones own contributions shouldn't be subject to WEP. Hopefully that member will post here to answer you, put sometimes people prefer not to discuss private matters on a public forum.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

bPaul is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. It does make sense, and I think the US Social Security site suggests that one's survivors aren't affected by WEP. Presumably that would apply to a British pension as well. So if she were to get a survivor's state pension, I suppose the answer to "Do you expect to receive a pension or annuity in the future based on this non-covered work?" could end up being "No". If she answered "yes", and estimated a start date, I guess they would make a determination later on. Might be easier to just apply for the UK state pension first and see what she gets before finishing the US application.
Old May 30th 2015, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Scotty88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Just new to the site. I have a question, quite different, complex and hopefully someone can help.

I worked in the UK for some years before the changes in 1975 and moved to Canada and the USA. I worked for 20 years in Canada and then 10 years in the USA. I am 63 and had to return to the UK permanently for family reasons, I know bummer! I am collecting a UK pension and have been told that I'm eligible for pensions from Canada and the USA. Just
wondering what the implications and impacts are on my UK pension when I collect the other
pensions.
Thanks , Scotty.

Hopefully I've done this correctly, sorry if not!
Old May 30th 2015, 2:49 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If you are 63 what UK pension are you collecting? I guess it can't be the standard State retirement pension.
Old May 30th 2015, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Disenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scotty88
Hi Just new to the site. I have a question, quite different, complex and hopefully someone can help.

I worked in the UK for some years before the changes in 1975 and moved to Canada and the USA. I worked for 20 years in Canada and then 10 years in the USA. I am 63 and had to return to the UK permanently for family reasons, I know bummer! I am collecting a UK pension and have been told that I'm eligible for pensions from Canada and the USA. Just
wondering what the implications and impacts are on my UK pension when I collect the other
pensions.
Thanks , Scotty.

Hopefully I've done this correctly, sorry if not!
Scotty,

I don't believe your Canadian or US pensions will have any effect on your UK pension, I presume, as a now permanent UK resident, you will be filing a self assessment tax return in the UK? I also presume you will have no income from Canada or USA until you are eligible for pensions in those countries?

The same may not be true about your Canadian and/or US SS pension if you are required to file Canadian or US tax returns based on your previous status in those countries. I don't know about Canada but if you have a US Green Card or Citizenship the US International Revenue Service will be wanting a return and if you have a US SS Pension then any of your other pensions will initiate WEP on it.
Old May 30th 2015, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Disenchanted,

I've been advised that I'm now eligible for the other pensions so will look into those. How can one calculate what impact WEP has on the US pension?

Thanks,
Scotty
Old May 30th 2015, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Disenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Disenchanted,

I've been advised that I'm now eligible for the other pensions so will look into those. How can one calculate what impact WEP has on the US pension?

Thanks,
Scotty
If you go to the SSA.gov site it has lot's of info and a calculator. Generally speaking, if you qualify for a US SS pension and have less than 20 years you will experience the maximum WEP amount, for 2015 I believe that is $400+.

You can register on their site and see your contributions so that should be your first step.
Old May 31st 2015, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks again Disenchanted,

I only worked 12 years in the US. By your figures, the bother of filing all the documents and all of the red tape to apply for SS, is it worth it! I'm told by SS I'd receive 625 dollars, so minus 400+ it doesn't appear worth the aggravation. So much for contributing to pension plans in far off places, these Governments apparently don't want you to live comfortably in retirement.

Thanks for you input,
Scotty
Old May 31st 2015, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

gester is an unknown quantity at this point

When you applied for UK pension did you declare your 12 years of US contributions? They can be used to increase your UK pension if you do not have enough to qualify for the full pension.
Old May 31st 2015, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Hi Gester,
No, not sure, although answered a lot of their questions over the phone and it was disclosed that I had returned from the US. Will call the pensions depts on both sides of the Atlantic this coming week.

Thanks,
Scotty
Old May 31st 2015, 2:24 pm

Thanks again Disenchanted,

I only worked 12 years in the US. By your figures, the bother of filing all the documents and all of the red tape to apply for SS, is it worth it! I'm told by SS I'd receive 625 dollars, so minus 400+ it doesn't appear worth the aggravation. So much for contributing to pension plans in far off places, these Governments apparently don't want you to live comfortably in retirement.

Thanks for you input,
Scotty
When the SS quoted the $625 did they asked if you received any other pensions, and ask for the details. If so they may have given a figure after WEP. At the very least you should go to the online WEP calculator and use it. I found it to be very accurate on the amount my wife did receive after the WEP was taken into account.

Online Calculator (WEP Version)
Old May 31st 2015, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

The chart in this link should also be helpful.....

Retirement Planner: How the Windfall Elimination Provision Can Affect Your Social Security Benefit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.