Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK state pension and USA social security

UK state pension and USA social security

Old Apr 17th 2015, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by UK2US1979
Paid gross even if the certificate of US residency not submitted? And would this also apply to a one time deferral Lump sum which is going to be in excess of UK personal allowance?

Finally, if paid gross regardless, why do they have the HMRC Form 2002 which also talks of form 8802.
You'll note I said "resident in the UK". (And, I've made an edit to the above for clarity.) I do not know what happens when the benefit is sent abroad. I only mentioned the above since some may be reading general statements about the UK State Pension, and why some, if total taxable UK income is below the personal allowance, do not need to file the forms. I believe this is what nun was saying in post #728.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Very Important re: Form 6166:

A "golden nugget" - A link the IRS fails to provide anywhere online - and utterly essential in order to obtain the certification of US residency, which must accompany Form 8802 when it's eventually received by HMRC (together with the Individual 2002): (mind-boggling, isn't it?)

***www.pay.gov ***

That's where you MUST go to access the secure site to pay for the Form 6166.
Once you go there - type: 8802 - in the search box at top (Do not click anywhere else or look anywhere else.)
After you've typed those nos. - hit 'Search'.
Then hit the red link 'Continue to the Form'.....and you're on your way.

Once you've paid (online-at the secure site) you'll receive an email confirmation with both a 'pay.gov' and an 'agency' tracking ID.
Enter both numbers in the "Electronic Payment Confirmation Number" field at the top of page 1 of the form 8802.
Send the completed forms 8802 and Individual 2002 to the Philadelphia IRS address indicated in the Instructions you've already dutifully ploughed thru

Then breathe a sigh of relief. You're done!.....
Old Apr 18th 2015, 9:09 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
Very Important re: Form 6166:

A "golden nugget" - A link the IRS fails to provide anywhere online - and utterly essential in order to obtain the certification of US residency, which must accompany Form 8802 when it's eventually received by HMRC (together with the Individual 2002): (mind-boggling, isn't it?)

***www.pay.gov ***
There is full and complete information on how to pay the $85 fee for the 6166 in the instructions for form 8802. Payment options include a check and electronic payment....a route to the www.pay.gov page for 6166 fee payments is given.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
There is full and complete information on how to pay the $85 fee for the 6166 in the instructions for form 8802. Payment options include a check and electronic payment....a route to the www.pay.gov page for 6166 fee payments is given.
Will take your word for it....
I was looking, not for myself (I completed all this a couple of yrs. ago), but for a member who was confused about the forms.

My IRS web site search led to dead end - but, in any case, the link I provide may be more straightforward.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 1:17 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
Will take your word for it....
I was looking, not for myself (I completed all this a couple of yrs. ago), but for a member who was confused about the forms.

My IRS web site search led to dead end - but, in any case, the link I provide may be more straightforward.
I appreciated the link as my wife is about to fill out the forms. Had searched for the online payment information and like you couldn't find it. Had decided to send a check with the forms, but will not have to now.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 2:35 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Page 2 under "Method of Payment" "Electronic payment (e-payment)".

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8802.pdf
Old Apr 19th 2015, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Neillc37 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I left the UK in 97 my former employer got me to fill out a form saying I was leaving the UK. I assume this was a p85 but can't remember.
Would this be enough to get my withholding right when I withdraw my UK pensions (in about 5 years spread over a few years)? I assume I can just ring up HMRC as some point and ask them what my tax code is? I don't want to give the leaches $80 without having to.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 3:17 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Neillc37
When I left the UK in 97 my former employer got me to fill out a form saying I was leaving the UK. I assume this was a p85 but can't remember.
Would this be enough to get my withholding right when I withdraw my UK pensions (in about 5 years spread over a few years)? I assume I can just ring up HMRC as some point and ask them what my tax code is? I don't want to give the leaches $80 without having to.
I suppose if your tax code is already NT there's no reason to file the US Individual 2002.

If you have a private pension as well as a state pension HMRC will ask your pension provider to withhold tax for both the private AND the state pension, but if your tax code is already NT I imagine no tax will be withheld. If you only get a state pension then that is paid without any UK tax being withheld and it's also UK tax free when paid to a US resident so there's no need to file a US Individual 2002.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Disenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I have to say having read what I can find on GPO I am not expecting to receive any social security. The only glimmer of light is that in the explanation given on the online social security application it does say for Federal pensions, foreign pensions are excluded. It didn't have a similar comment for State and local government pensions.
Did you see this from the POMS?
https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0202608100
B. Definitions

1. Government

Government means:
Federal - The United States Government, including military service (see RS 01901.480) and Federal Judges receiving a full salary benefit. Foreign pensions do not cause offset.
State - The 50 States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and Northern Mariana Islands.
Local - A political subdivision (see RS 01505.001B) including wholly owned instrumentalities (does not include interstate instrumentalities - RS 01505.005B).

As I read it your Metropolitan Police Pension is NOT a Federal, State or Local pension and so is NOT a trigger for GPO on a spousal pension benefit.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 10:48 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Amazingly just had a call from the SSA, who completed our online applications over the phone.

My wife was as expected subject to WEP and the amount was to the cent what the online calculator predicted. She was claiming at age 65.

My spouse pension will be 50% of what her WEP'd pension would have been if she had claimed at 66. It is not subject to WEP because of my UK pensions, nor is it subject to the Government Pension Offset. I wasn't even asked about the details of my UK pensions, just if I received any other pension from the US.

A right result.

Last edited by lansbury; Apr 20th 2015 at 11:00 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

UK2US1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Amazingly just had a call from the SSA, who completed our online applications over the phone.

My wife was as expected subject to WEP and the amount was to the cent what the online calculator predicted. She was claiming at age 65.

My spouse pension will be 50% of what her WEP'd pension would have been if she had claimed at 66. It is not subject to WEP because of my UK pensions, nor is it subject to the Government Pension Offset. I wasn't even asked about the details of my UK pensions, just if I received any other pension from the US.

A right result.
I am glad it worked out to your satisfaction. As to < My wife was as expected subject to WEP and the amount was to the cent what the online calculator predicted..> , did the SSA calculate the WEP on a portion of the pension (years) that related to NI contributions made after April 6, 1975 (i.e earnings based)? As we discussed previously and in a PM, NI contributions up until then were flat rate stamps. As per DWP, the current pension system is based on earningd based contributions that came into effect April 6, 1975. Therefore, only a portion of the pension would be subject to WEP.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 11:44 pm

She only paid NI contributions from 1996 to 2006 and they used her full UK State pension even though we paid to buy three years. The guy at SSA didn't know what a UK State pension was we had to explain it. He ignored her private pension as she was aleady at the WEP max. Either one of her two pensions max WEP out.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

UK2US1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

She only paid NI contributions from 1996 to 2006 and they used her full UK State pension even though we paid to buy three years. The guy at SSA didn't know what a UK State pension was we had to explain it. He ignored her private pension as she was aleady at the WEP max. Either one of her two pensions max WEP out.
OK. I was just curious if that situation applied to her. One member apparently got the SSA to agree that only a portion of his pension be subject to WEP because "earnings based" NICs became effective April 6 1975... I am not sure if he even showed his pre April 1975 years specifically because they did not fall under the definition of "earnings based". I wonder if all Expats are calculating the WEP on this basis.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 12:30 am
Just Joined

nigelcg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 2bretired
Just received my UK form for my UK state pension. I presently receive my USA social security and was wondering if I can also collect my UK state pension as I have been paying in my voluntary NIC over the years and have the required years for full UK state pension.

I think I can but am a little worried about putting my USA social security number on the form and opening up a can of worms. I will be claiming the UK pension on my US tax return.

Any suggestions.

Bob.

Keep both separate. Claim your UK pension using a UK address, and have it paid by direct credit. Don't talk about the US, just claim you UK pension as normal.

The same in the US, don't say anything about your UK pension.

Keep both separate, if you don't you will create a minefield for yourself.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 1:34 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nigelcg
Keep both separate. Claim your UK pension using a UK address, and have it paid by direct credit. Don't talk about the US, just claim you UK pension as normal.

The same in the US, don't say anything about your UK pension.

Keep both separate, if you don't you will create a minefield for yourself.
Not good advice at all!

Claim your UK pension using the form you received. Use your NI number and enter your US SS# when asked. If your UK state pension is from voluntary contributions there will be no WEP, but you might want to talk to SSA about the change in your circumstances.

You will have no UK tax liability if you are a US resident, but you should enter the UK state pension on line 16 of your 1040 and work out the US taxable basis if you made the voluntary NI payments with already taxed US income.

Last edited by nun; Apr 21st 2015 at 1:43 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.