Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK state pension and USA social security

UK state pension and USA social security

Old Mar 16th 2015, 9:44 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by lansbury
Yes I know about that one, but where is the agreement that improves my social security protection. About the only thing this agreement does for the average Brit pensioner is protect the COL increases if you live in the US.

One thing I did reread in that agreement and I knew I had read somewhere and mentioned it earlier in this thread. You can claim a UK State pension at a social security office.

You can apply for U.K. benefits at any U.S. Social Security office by completing application form SSA-2490.
As my old mum used to say "beggars can't be choosers."
Old Mar 17th 2015, 1:15 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I know about that one, but where is the agreement that improves my social security protection.
Oh...not sure where that one's hiding.

One thing I did reread in that agreement and I knew I had read somewhere and mentioned it earlier in this thread. You can claim a UK State pension at a social security office.

You can apply for U.K. benefits at any U.S. Social Security office by completing application form SSA-2490.
Interesting! Our local office is pretty tiny, and they've already expressed some annoyance when we've tried to get an appointment to discuss SS questions that couldn't be answered over the general Helpline.

I wonder if anyone here has applied for their State Pension through the local SS Office?
Old Mar 17th 2015, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Interesting! Our local office is pretty tiny, and they've already expressed some annoyance when we've tried to get an appointment to discuss SS questions that couldn't be answered over the general Helpline.

I wonder if anyone here has applied for their State Pension through the local SS Office?
Given that you can now apply for the UK pension online, it's not a route I would take. When the US-UK agreement was originally made, it was presumably a much more useful feature.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 4:34 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I know about that one, but where is the agreement that improves my social security protection. About the only thing this agreement does for the average Brit pensioner is protect the COL increases if you live in the US.

It looks like you would only do this is you were using US SS credits to qualify for a UK pension. If you don't need the Totalization Agreement then you'd just apply for the UK pension using the International Claim form

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...br1-dec-13.pdf

Can you claim online if you are not a UK resident?
Old Mar 17th 2015, 3:09 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
It looks like you would only do this is you were using US SS credits to qualify for a UK pension. If you don't need the Totalization Agreement then you'd just apply for the UK pension using the International Claim form

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...br1-dec-13.pdf

Can you claim online if you are not a UK resident?
Looking at the gov.uk overseas pensions still require completion of the paper claim form. Someone posting about their problems sending documents by courier to the correct UK address. If you can use a SS office it might save the need to send documents if they could be checked at the SS office.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

UK2US1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking at the gov.uk overseas pensions still require completion of the paper claim form. Someone posting about their problems sending documents by courier to the correct UK address. If you can use a SS office it might save the need to send documents if they could be checked at the SS office.
I thought the likes of DHL would do a good job of delivering at the correct address. I wonder if there are other reliable options such as US Postal service to send the package to the UK Pension office.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK2US1979
I thought the likes of DHL would do a good job of delivering at the correct address. I wonder if there are other reliable options such as US Postal service to send the package to the UK Pension office.
From what I recall of the discussion you need to send your letter or package not requiring a signature, because the only addresses provided are PO Boxes and there won't be a person prepared to sign for a package.

If you want to be sure it arrives, use proof of delivery so you can see that it was delivered.

Last edited by durham_lad; Mar 17th 2015 at 7:49 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 7:42 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK2US1979
Apparently the address given to send a claim to is a mailbox, which itself is in a different city to the actual office. Couriers cannot deliver to a mailbox, they need a physical street address. USPS can be used, but they cannot track a package to a mailbox.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Westham is an unknown quantity at this point

I applied for my UK pension direct to the UK Dept. of Work & Pensions via the good old mail man. It took a few months to get everything sorted but ended up ok, I did try and fax some details but that got lost in someone's office, but that was the only hic-up. I did also telephone a couple of times and everyone was very helpful the only delay is the time it takes for the GB postal service to get the replay back to the USA as everything had a post mark "Malta" I have no idea why.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 1:39 pm
R50
Just Joined

R50 is an unknown quantity at this point

I will be applying US SS while looking for deferred UK Basic State Pension and Sec 32 Pension. Will US SS accept statement for both pensions and WEPed accordingly immediately or wail until I claimed both UK deferred pension s and then apply WEPed to my US SS Benefits?
Anyone who has knowledge and experience will appreciate comments.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Sailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently the address given to send a claim to is a mailbox, which itself is in a different city to the actual office. Couriers cannot deliver to a mailbox, they need a physical street address. USPS can be used, but they cannot track a package to a mailbox.
The thread about the UK postal code issue was me - Sailortobe - see separate thread My FedEx package did finally make it to it's destination, and I received a call from DWP confirming receipt. Not being able to track a package containing original documents is, to my mind, totally unsatisfactory. I have yet to receive those documents back here in the US.
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 11:44 pm

Looking at the SS form Modified Benefit Formula Questionnaire - Foreign Pension.

Question 8: If you received a lump sum payment instead of a periodic pension, enter the amount of the payment and, if known, the specific time for which the payment would be due. (Bold emphasis mine)

Taking Ian and Mr F's advice on how to answer questions. My pension is a periodic payment, and a lump sum. The periodic payment isn't instead of the lump sum, it was reduced by taking the lump sum, therefore it shouldn't be included.

I am inclined to put down the lump sum, mainly because it will make no difference to the final WEP amount if I do or not. But in view of the wording of the question what is the general opinion on how it should be answered?
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting question, lansbury. It's all going to be a mess come the new UK pension regime, isn't it? Then, it's highly likely that people won't have neither periodic payment nor 'a' lump sum - they'll have a fund of money, from which they can draw varying amounts at whatever point in time they choose. The questions will make even less sense then!
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

jb82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kodokan
Interesting question, lansbury. It's all going to be a mess come the new UK pension regime, isn't it? Then, it's highly likely that people won't have neither periodic payment nor 'a' lump sum - they'll have a fund of money, from which they can draw varying amounts at whatever point in time they choose. The questions will make even less sense then!
SSA are assuming any pension pot withdrawal is a lump sum or a periodic payment. Basically they want everything taxed so I highly doubt we'll get away with not declaring.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

UK2US1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking at the SS form Modified Benefit Formula Questionnaire - Foreign Pension.

Question 8: If you received a lump sum payment instead of a periodic pension, enter the amount of the payment and, if known, the specific time for which the payment would be due. (Bold emphasis mine)

Taking Ian and Mr F's advice on how to answer questions. My pension is a periodic payment, and a lump sum. The periodic payment isn't instead of the lump sum, it was reduced by taking the lump sum, therefore it shouldn't be included.

I am inclined to put down the lump sum, mainly because it will make no difference to the final WEP amount if I do or not. But in view of the wording of the question what is the general opinion on how it should be answered?
Your periodic pension going forward would have been higher if you had not taken the lump sum also. I believe it is on this "higher" amount that the SSA would calculate the WEP. The form does ask for the Lump sum information and the period it relates to.

My situation is a bit different as mentioned previously. I shall be opting for a lump sum in lieu of the past 3 years accumulated basic Pension (since turning 65) as I am filing the pension claim only now. I could, instead, take an "extra Pension" added to my basic if I so choose. It would be interesting to see how that is treated for WEP purposes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.