Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK state pension and USA social security

UK state pension and USA social security

Old Mar 15th 2015, 8:29 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by nun
Cashing out would not avoid WEP. You should tell SSA the lump sum or the DC accumulation and they will calculate an equivalent pension amount to apply to WEP. This is what happens with state employees that have DC accumulations.
I didn't know this. I always assumed that cashing out prior to taking SS would avoid WEP. How is the WEP amount affected by taking weppable income earlier rather than later? For instance - say I take a British final salary pension at age 60, so it pays 100 pounds a month. If I'd waited till age 65 it would have paid significantly more. Then I take SS at age 66. Do they somehow take the WEP-free income I took between age 60 and age 66 into account when WEP is calculated?
Old Mar 15th 2015, 5:09 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
What do they have DC accumulations in, nun; is it 401ks or a more traditional pension wrapper?

I am very much mentally equating the new UK pension environment with a 401k - contributions based on a designated percentage of salary, contributions from both employee and employer, tax-deferred, contribution limits, money can be entirely withdrawn or bit by bit upon reaching a certain age subject to paying the tax, etc. Do state workers get WEP'd based on their accumulated 401k pot, and if not, why would taking all the money out of a new-style UK pension, perhaps 10-15 years previously, trigger a need for it?
If a state worker has an old fashioned final salary pension plan then it's just their monthly pension amount that is used to calculate WEP....simple. However, some US state workers have compulsory 401a DC pension accounts so the SSA needs to calculate an equivalent monthly income. This is a simple actuarial calculation. When the state employee stops working for the state a statement of the 401a balance is given to SSA and is used to calculate WEP when the employee applies for SS.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0300605364

I imagine that if someone had a foreign DC pension, took a lump sum and then filed for SS later then the SSA would want to know the amount of the lump sum so it can do the same WEP calculation.

Last edited by nun; Mar 15th 2015 at 5:22 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2015, 5:18 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I didn't know this. I always assumed that cashing out prior to taking SS would avoid WEP. How is the WEP amount affected by taking weppable income earlier rather than later? For instance - say I take a British final salary pension at age 60, so it pays 100 pounds a month. If I'd waited till age 65 it would have paid significantly more. Then I take SS at age 66. Do they somehow take the WEP-free income I took between age 60 and age 66 into account when WEP is calculated?
I believe that SSA will just look at you monthly income when you apply for SS. If you took a lump sum from a DC account a number of years before you apply for SS then SSA would want to know that lump sum and exactly when you took it and would just apply standard actuarial tables to work out the monthly income for WEP purposes.
Old Mar 15th 2015, 5:24 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jb82
Would that be the case if say you cash it out at 55 long before you take your social security? Since the foreign retirement account wouldn't exist any more?
Yes. You are required to tell the SSA about any non-SS pensions. Even if you cashed out at 55 you should tell SSA and they will calculate a pension amount based on the lump sum amount, when you took it and standard actuarial tables.

Last edited by nun; Mar 15th 2015 at 5:27 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2015, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
If a state worker has an old fashioned final salary pension plan then it's just their monthly pension amount that is used to calculate WEP....simple. However, some US state workers have compulsory 401a DC pension accounts so the SSA needs to calculate an equivalent monthly income. This is a simple actuarial calculation. When the state employee stops working for the state a statement of the 401a balance is given to SSA and is used to calculate WEP when the employee applies for SS.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0300605364

I imagine that if someone had a foreign DC pension, took a lump sum and then filed for SS later then the SSA would want to know the amount of the lump sum so it can do the same WEP calculation.
Thanks for the explanation and link nun - I'll go back to just assuming full WEP will be applied, and be pleasantly surprised should the deduction be lower!
Old Mar 15th 2015, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

jb82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nun
Yes. You are required to tell the SSA about any non-SS pensions. Even if you cashed out at 55 you should tell SSA and they will calculate a pension amount based on the lump sum amount, when you took it and standard actuarial tables.
Okay thanks for the explanation. I can agree with you on this one

Last edited by jb82; Mar 15th 2015 at 8:27 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2015, 10:24 pm
R50
Just Joined

R50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jb82
Okay thanks for the explanation. I can agree with you on this one
Based upon above continued discussion, I will be 66 yrs next year at full retirement age. My wife also have UK State Pension and will be 62 in 2018. If she claimed her US SS will her UK State Pension will be liable to WPED before she entitle to UK State Pension at Full Retirement age of 66 in 2022?. None of us have 30 yrs of full US SS contribution.
Old Mar 15th 2015, 11:09 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R50
Based upon above continued discussion, I will be 66 yrs next year at full retirement age. My wife also have UK State Pension and will be 62 in 2018. If she claimed her US SS will her UK State Pension will be liable to WPED before she entitle to UK State Pension at Full Retirement age of 66 in 2022?. None of us have 30 yrs of full US SS contribution.
UK pension is not subject to WEP, US SS is. If she takes US SS before she takes her UK pension, she must then notify the SSA when she takes her UK pension. Then her US SS will be recalculated to allow for the WEP.

If she takes the UK pension before US SS, her SS will be calculated from the start to allow for WEP.

Last edited by lansbury; Mar 15th 2015 at 11:13 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

UK2US1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
Could you provide a link that supports this statement?

In prior rounds of this never-ending discussion, various knowledgeable people have pointed towards specific wording from US SS Web pages, or the WEP modeller. At least then it's possible to discuss factual information rather than being unsure whether a statement of fact is just someone's perception or opinion of the current situation.
Sorry for the delayed response. I was talking in the context of UK basic state pension, not all pensions. This has been debated here in detail (with agreements and disagreements) and the position SSA seems to have taken on this issue, i.e The contributions are/were paid out of the salary. Although, there were other ways one could make contributions and or earn credits.

I dont necessarily agree with the SSA position here. nun has also opined on this in various posts.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Alansmith is an unknown quantity at this point

An agreement between the United States and the United Kingdom (U.K.) improves Social Security protection for people who work or have worked in both countries. It helps many people who, without the agreement, would not be eligible for monthly retirement, disa
Old Mar 16th 2015, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Westham is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alansmith
An agreement between the United States and the United Kingdom (U.K.) improves Social Security protection for people who work or have worked in both countries. It helps many people who, without the agreement, would not be eligible for monthly retirement, disa
I'm not sure there is an improvement for many caught up with the Wep issue.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Westham
I'm not sure there is an improvement for many caught up with the Wep issue.
Yep, when I heard WEP my response was WTF.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 4:03 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alansmith
A link to that agreement might be useful.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 5:39 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
A link to that agreement might be useful.
International Programs - Totalization Agreement with the United Kingdom
Old Mar 16th 2015, 7:55 pm

Yes I know about that one, but where is the agreement that improves my social security protection. About the only thing this agreement does for the average Brit pensioner is protect the COL increases if you live in the US.

One thing I did reread in that agreement and I knew I had read somewhere and mentioned it earlier in this thread. You can claim a UK State pension at a social security office.

You can apply for U.K. benefits at any U.S. Social Security office by completing application form SSA-2490.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.