Reload this Page >

UK state pension and USA social security

UK state pension and USA social security

Old Mar 10th 2015, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

UK2US1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by Peter124
FWIW I tend to agree with jb82. I think there's a certain amount of wishful thinking going on about the UK pension not being subject to WEP.

Until someone has gone through the process and shown that nun's argument is valid, I remain very skeptical.

I will say that it's a very clever argument, though!
SSA have taken the position that all WORK RELATED pension is subject to WEP. "earnings related" or not. So far no one seems to have challenged the SSA position on this nor has any one sought the opinion of the court.

I agree it would be difficult to convince the SSA that the entire basic Pension should be exempt from WEP. Pre 1975 portion may be where one might argue that it does not fall under the provisions of WEP.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 7:32 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK2US1979
SSA have taken the position that all WORK RELATED pension is subject to WEP. "earnings related" or not. So far no one seems to have challenged the SSA position on this nor has any one sought the opinion of the court.

I agree it would be difficult to convince the SSA that the entire basic Pension should be exempt from WEP. Pre 1975 portion may be where one might argue that it does not fall under the provisions of WEP.
Could you provide a link that supports this statement?

In prior rounds of this never-ending discussion, various knowledgeable people have pointed towards specific wording from US SS Web pages, or the WEP modeller. At least then it's possible to discuss factual information rather than being unsure whether a statement of fact is just someone's perception or opinion of the current situation.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jb82
I was thinking that a uk state pension based on class 2 national insurance might have a better chance of being non wep-able.

It is based on a flat amount of contribution that can be paid whether the person has earnings or not. If you work in the uk you also pay a separate class 4 ni contribution that is based on your earnings which is similar to class 1 contributions (but that doesn't entitle you to the pension).

There is still the point of contention that you have to pay the class 2 contributions if you earn over a certain amount and so get qualifying years via earning a certain amount.

What do you guys think? Also anyone actually had any experience of a class 2 contribution pension being weped
No experience, but in my case I will have 17 years of voluntary NI contributions paid for while living and working in the USA, and the job I worked in the USA also paid into SS so I would argue that 17 years worth of the pension was not related to any non-SS earnings. (I could have chosen to fund an annuity with those contributions and that annuity would definitely not count towards WEP)

Purely academic in my case as I also have private UK pensions.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

jb82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durham_lad
No experience, but in my case I will have 17 years of voluntary NI contributions paid for while living and working in the USA, and the job I worked in the USA also paid into SS so I would argue that 17 years worth of the pension was not related to any non-SS earnings. (I could have chosen to fund an annuity with those contributions and that annuity would definitely not count towards WEP)

Purely academic in my case as I also have private UK pensions.

voluntary contributions are specifically excluded fron wep since they are by nature not related to work or earnings or whatever. The SSA has this listed as not wepable specfically as an example in their operations manual.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Whichever it is, it seems ludicrous that it should take so long to solve what should be a relatively straightforward question. It's not as if the UK state pension system is shrouded in secrecy.

I think this highlights the problem. We can continue trying to point score about what the "right answer" is or whether someone "shot themselves in the foot" in this grand debating contest, but that doesn't answer the question of what some bureaucratic numpty at US SS will decide is the answer - regardless of whether they are "right" or "wrong".

So far, TheOAP is the only person I know of who has recounted their experience with how this works in practice. I think currently, most people on the BE forum are at least a handful of years from claiming US SS pension so it will be a while before we get some sense of what to expect.
I mentioned this guy a few weeks ago and eventually found the right thread for his post. Check out posts 216 and subsequent. I see that he says "UK pension". I guess it's conceivable (although unlikely imo) that he is referring to something other than the UK state pension:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/rover...830451/page15/
Old Mar 13th 2015, 12:04 am
R50
Just Joined

R50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kodokan
We're following an early retirement strategy, and are working on being done and dusted in our early 50s. We'll therefore have 12-15 years of being able to shuffle money about whilst still paying little or no tax, as we'll be living pretty frugally on income derived from our taxable accounts. For some of those years, we'll be drawing down (not closing in one lump) the UK pensions (about $150k total); for others, we'll be doing Roth IRA rollovers; we'll be using Obamacare and balancing income agsinst the subsidies based on 2-4 people in the policy as the kids age out... lots to play with.

The goal is to hit normal retirement age with no UK defined contribution money remaining in the UK or in a pension wrapper, and as much as possible Roth'd over here, then decide when best to pull the trigger in the various small UK company and UK/ US/ Swiss state pensions we'll have coming in from age 65-70. I have a fabulous lifetime spreadsheet running over the next 60 years.
I am at the age to retire here in US. Unemployed since few yrs. I have UK company Pension Sec 32 and recent changed in UK law motivating me to cash out my pension for living expenses before I apply for US SS. I have calculated my US Tax situation and will be at or below 15%. Will appreciate your comments and suggestions WEP situation
Old Mar 13th 2015, 1:37 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Considering the new UK pension laws, it may be an incentive for those with a UK pension to cash it out rather than take a pension from it, in order to avoid WEP ... ??

ETA: I guess not, as people with a small UK pension will likely have been out of the UK a while, and will have enough US SS contribution years to avoid WEP, and those with just a few years in the US will have a bigger UK pension, and so won't want to take the tax hit on the lump sum withdrawal - but you never know.

Last edited by dunroving; Mar 13th 2015 at 1:55 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2015, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by R50
I am at the age to retire here in US. Unemployed since few yrs. I have UK company Pension Sec 32 and recent changed in UK law motivating me to cash out my pension for living expenses before I apply for US SS. I have calculated my US Tax situation and will be at or below 15%. Will appreciate your comments and suggestions WEP situation
How many work years do you have in the USA?
Old Mar 13th 2015, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Considering the new UK pension laws, it may be an incentive for those with a UK pension to cash it out rather than take a pension from it, in order to avoid WEP ... ??

ETA: I guess not, as people with a small UK pension will likely have been out of the UK a while, and will have enough US SS contribution years to avoid WEP, and those with just a few years in the US will have a bigger UK pension, and so won't want to take the tax hit on the lump sum withdrawal - but you never know.
I imagine most people with UK personal pensions would also qualify for a state uk pension and are likely to be subject to WEP even if they cash out the personal pensions so avoiding WEP doesn't have much to do with the decision to cash out or not.
Or as you say many with small pensions have worked 30 years in the USA and are not subject to WEP anyway.
Old Mar 13th 2015, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine most people with UK personal pensions would also qualify for a state uk pension and are likely to be subject to WEP even if they cash out the personal pensions so avoiding WEP doesn't have much to do with the decision to cash out or not.
Or as you say many with small pensions have worked 30 years in the USA and are not subject to WEP anyway.
Not necessarily. We came via Switzerland for some years, so although we only have small UK pensions, we also won't be working here long enough to hit 30 years for being non-WEPd.

We're planning to cash out a number of UK personal pensions when the time comes, but not all at once. We'll just take annual living expenses out over 3-5 years, instead of taking it from the 401k; the tax hit will be the same either way.

Sigh... Switzerland was so simple. 'Oh, you're leaving, and going to a non-EU country? Have your entire pension pot, both employer and employee contributions, to do with as you want, in exchange for a tiny tax take of less than 5%!'
Old Mar 14th 2015, 3:03 pm
R50
Just Joined

Originally Posted by R50
Thanks to all for comments and Quick reply.
My Company Pension transfer in the early 1990 to a Ins company as Sec 32 policy. In that small portion of company and personal contribution. Major part of it is SERP . I think that it why it was classified as Sec 32 Policy. This fund value is not relatively big but big enough to WEPed and obviously will provide 1 and 1/2 yrs of family living by that time I will be at Full Retirement Age.
My only concern is WEPed later when I applied to US SS.
Old Mar 14th 2015, 3:08 pm
R50
Just Joined

I am not trying to avoid WEPed for State Basic Pension. I do not have 30 yrs of US SS earning contributions. It is just make use of the available fund before I reached to Full Retirement Age. I do understand we will be loosing out survivors benefit by cashing out.
Old Mar 14th 2015, 6:56 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Cashing out would not avoid WEP. You should tell SSA the lump sum or the DC accumulation and they will calculate an equivalent pension amount to apply to WEP. This is what happens with state employees that have DC accumulations.
Old Mar 14th 2015, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nun
Cashing out would not avoid WEP. You should tell SSA the lump sum or the DC accumulation and they will calculate an equivalent pension amount to apply to WEP. This is what happens with state employees that have DC accumulations.
Would that be the case if say you cash it out at 55 long before you take your social security? Since the foreign retirement account wouldn't exist any more?
Old Mar 14th 2015, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
What do they have DC accumulations in, nun; is it 401ks or a more traditional pension wrapper?

I am very much mentally equating the new UK pension environment with a 401k - contributions based on a designated percentage of salary, contributions from both employee and employer, tax-deferred, contribution limits, money can be entirely withdrawn or bit by bit upon reaching a certain age subject to paying the tax, etc. Do state workers get WEP'd based on their accumulated 401k pot, and if not, why would taking all the money out of a new-style UK pension, perhaps 10-15 years previously, trigger a need for it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.