Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK state pension and USA social security

UK state pension and USA social security

Old Jan 30th 2015, 3:40 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'm right on to that! Heroically volunteering as a guinea pig.

I did a bog standard online application for my SS about four weeks ago. There are a couple of questions (just yes/no boxes) about pensions from non-SS employment. In the free text field at the end of the application, I made a simple statement that I was expecting a private, final salary pension from UK to commence August 2015 and I was expecting my British state pension to commence at some date in the future, TBD.

I checked back on the website a few days later, and they needed me to bring in my Naturalization Certificate to the local office, which I did. While at the interview (well, photocopy session) I asked the lady about WEP, she simply said I should inform them of the actual amounts and starting dates of the pensions closer to the time they commence.

I checked back on the website a couple of days ago, and it stated that a decision had been made and I would be informed by letter in the post, which I'm awaiting.

When I applied online, I requested a start date of April 2015, when I will be 64 and 8 months. I think that is when you get 90% of full SS, or a tad above, can't remember (there's a table online that shows percentage for each month between age 62 and age 70, age 66 being 100%.). When you apply online, you are offered a start date of the next month or a couple of months forward, so in Jan you are offered a start date of Feb, Mar, Apr, I think it was...
Originally Posted by durham_lad
Thanks Robin, it's good of you to give us a step by step description of your application. My wife will be applying for hers in 3 years but I currently am not planning to apply for another 10 years.

Interesting that you had to go into the office with your Naturalization Certificate. We've never needed ours as we got US passports on the same day we became USC's (in 1998) and the passports have always worked as proof of citizenship.
Not sure I understand why citizenship is relevant to applying for SS pension ... Is it to do with liability for US income tax withholding at source?
Old Jan 30th 2015, 3:53 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Not sure I understand why citizenship is relevant to applying for SS pension ... Is it to do with liability for US income tax withholding at source?
I agree, shouldn't make a difference to calculation of benefit or eligibility. I suspect it is to do with withholding rules, and tax liability, in case I go to live abroad at some time in the future. Or, they just need citizenship status for statistics.... or in case of possible future changes in the law?
Old Jan 30th 2015, 4:12 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

There's no automatic withholding on SS.

Last edited by nun; Jan 30th 2015 at 4:47 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 4:18 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
There's no withholding on SS.
Maybe I am using the wrong terminology ... so SS is paid free of tax and then the recipient pays via the tax return?

I know that TIAA-CREF were saying they'd withhold tax on any payments from my 401a (except I'll submit the form W8-BEN or whatever it is and hope the useless numpties can figure it out). So I assumed the same would apply to US SS pension payments ... but I planned to apply to receive exempt of US tax anyway.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 4:21 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Hope this isn't too nosy, but when you are so close to being able to receive the pension at 100%, is it not feasible for you to hold on for the extra few months?
Well, there's the break even point, and (like most people) I don't know how long I'll live. We lived for two years in retirement with little to no income, according to plan; our short term savings are now spent down. So the plan was always to start, one at a time, to turn on various pensions/annuities/regular distributions, commencing this spring. I'd rather leave various tax advantaged retirement savings in place for a while, partly because I can't stand working with the wallies employed by those companies as "financial advisors." I'll have to eventually bite the bullet though!!

Last edited by robin1234; Jan 30th 2015 at 4:23 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 4:40 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Well, there's the break even point, and (like most people) I don't know how long I'll live. We lived for two years in retirement with little to no income, according to plan; our short term savings are now spent down. So the plan was always to start, one at a time, to turn on various pensions/annuities/regular distributions, commencing this spring. I'd rather leave various tax advantaged retirement savings in place for a while, partly because I can't stand working with the wallies employed by those companies as "financial advisors." I'll have to eventually bite the bullet though!!
Thank you. Didn't mean to be rude; just interested in how everyone is handling this big decision. Now if we only had a crystal ball . . . !
Old Jan 30th 2015, 4:45 pm
Ping-ponger

I figured the break-even point for me if I take US SS from age 62 was 81 years of age. If I hold off on UK pensions until 66 thereby avoiding WEP for 4 years, even later.

As most males in my family don't reach 60, never mind 70, it's probably a safe bet.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 4:47 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I am using the wrong terminology ... so SS is paid free of tax and then the recipient pays via the tax return?

I know that TIAA-CREF were saying they'd withhold tax on any payments from my 401a (except I'll submit the form W8-BEN or whatever it is and hope the useless numpties can figure it out). So I assumed the same would apply to US SS pension payments ... but I planned to apply to receive exempt of US tax anyway.
You can request that SSA withhold tax by filing a W-4V, but it's entirely voluntary, even if you live outside the USA. Some people have tax withheld so the don't owe tax at the end of the year.

TIAA-CREF will get things right as long as you file the W8-BEN. So with SS you have to opt in to pay tax and with the 401a you have to opt out of paying US tax.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 4:52 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theOAP
I believe we've been down this road before regards the link to that particular SSA page and the question it raises. I don't believe we were able to come to a conclusive opinion regards an interpretation of the SSA information given on that page, or other pages referenced.
I recall we have but had a feeling that someone had said the Government Pension Offset was not the same thing as WEP.

There is a post on page 20 of this thread (post #291) which gives an experience of a spousal pension application. It is not the same exact circumstances as yours since the spouse was an NRA and in the UK and not the US. It is not conclusive.
Guess I read more into that post than perhaps I should have. Also I thought there were other posts here that stated that WEP didn't apply to the spouse. Read so much on this subject it is becoming a blur and I am getting more confused than I was.

Unless someone cares to give other experiences, it appears the only way you will have an answer to the question will be when you apply for the spousal pension in the US.
If someone can give a definite experience that would be good. My Wife is 65 in July and we were trying to decide if she should claim SS this year or wait one more year to get the fully amount. I had calculated it assuming I would get 50% of her pension, went online to check if she claimed at 65 I would still get 50% and found the information which triggered my question in post #561.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 4:54 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Yeah a lot comes down to cash flow. Right now I'm living off my back account. I'll probably take a small pension at 55 and keep doing IRA to ROTH rollovers up to the top of the 15% tax bracket
Old Jan 30th 2015, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Westham is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Having read and re read these recent posts on this thread I am wondering at the SS interview would the question be asked about UK pensions if in fact 30 years of US social security had been recorded? I have been receiving my UK state pension (21 years total vested 14 working years and 7 voluntary catch up years) since April of 2014 when I became 65 years old. I will have 30 vested in SS by this coming April when I am 66, it is my understanding that having 30 years vested in SS I will not be wep'd (hopefully I am still correct in thinking this) so I am curious if in fact I will be asked at all? Depending on how my health and other circumstances are I may even extend taking my US SS until I reach the age of 68 years and 6 months, not sure if they will change the rules on this wep situation by then.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Westham
Hi,
Having read and re read these recent posts on this thread I am wondering at the SS interview would the question be asked about UK pensions if in fact 30 years of US social security had been recorded? I have been receiving my UK state pension (21 years total vested 14 working years and 7 voluntary catch up years) since April of 2014 when I became 65 years old. I will have 30 vested in SS by this coming April when I am 66, it is my understanding that having 30 years vested in SS I will not be wep'd (hopefully I am still correct in thinking this) so I am curious if in fact I will be asked at all? Depending on how my health and other circumstances are I may even extend taking my US SS until I reach the age of 68 years and 6 months, not sure if they will change the rules on this wep situation by then.
One thing that is very clear in all this WEP stuff is that it doesn't apply if you have 30+ years of SS contributions. So I don't think whether they ask you or not is important. In another two months I will have 30 years myself, so I know WEP won't apply to me.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 5:22 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
One thing that is very clear in all this WEP stuff is that it doesn't apply if you have 30+ years of SS contributions. So I don't think whether they ask you or not is important. In another two months I will have 30 years myself, so I know WEP won't apply to me.
Just one proviso, they have to be years of significant contributions. There's a table online of the threshold for definition of significant for each year going back. Unfortunately, I have two or three years that are less than the minimum...
Old Jan 30th 2015, 5:23 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theOAP

Unless someone cares to give other experiences, it appears the only way you will have an answer to the question will be when you apply for the spousal pension in the US.
After talking it over we have decided Mrs L will apply for her SS when she applies for Medicare. She is eligible for Medicare from July 1 so should apply in April. I'll report back if I get a SS pension or not.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Just one proviso, they have to be years of significant contributions. There's a table online of the threshold for definition of significant for each year going back. Unfortunately, I have two or three years that are less than the minimum...
Yeh, I know... fortunately nearly every year I have is at or near the SS max for contributions. And thinking about this more I suspect I now have 30 years given last year was the 30th I've been working in the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.