Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK state pension and USA social security

UK state pension and USA social security

Old Jun 15th 2014, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Pity the poor soul of modest income who can't understand all the nuances and can't afford to employ tax accountants.
Originally Posted by nun
Yes that is a perennial issue, but by doing some fairly simple things you can keep your taxes manageable.

Like what?
Old Jun 15th 2014, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

If you give up your US citizenship can you continue to get SSA retirement income? Assuming you also get UK pension, will you then be exempt from being WEP'd?
Old Jun 15th 2014, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

flbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really nice

It's as clear as mud to me,l'm none the wiser, but l appreciate u taking the time to answer. Thanks

Originally Posted by durham_lad
The new UK pension after 2016 is, I think, a straight line computation over 35 years instead of over 30. The full pension will be about £149/week so you currently have 26/35ths of that and would need to contribute another 9 years to get the full amount.

Pensions Bill | The new flat-rate State Pension and what it means in practice

Below is a link to a calculator you can use to estimate how much your SS will be reduced due to WEP.

Calculators: Online Calculator (WEP Version)

Retirement Planner: How the Windfall Elimination Provision Can Affect Your Social Security Benefit
Old Jun 15th 2014, 5:46 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flbrit59
It's as clear as mud to me,l'm none the wiser, but l appreciate u taking the time to answer. Thanks
As a rough guide your WEP deduction will be 30% with 24 years of SS payments.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
If you give up your US citizenship can you continue to get SSA retirement income? Assuming you also get UK pension, will you then be exempt from being WEP'd?
Your SS is dependent on your contributions not your citizenship so giving up citizenship does not mean giving up SS. Likewise, WEP is dependent on the amount of pensions you earned from jobs where you didn't pay into SS, not on citizenship.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flbrit59
For myself, using the tables in the last link I posted I expect the max WEP deduction of approx $500/month. Good enough for budgeting purposes.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Your SS is dependent on your contributions not your citizenship so giving up citizenship does not mean giving up SS. Likewise, WEP is dependent on the amount of pensions you earned from jobs where you didn't pay into SS, not on citizenship.
OK, thanks. But it didn't answer my question. If you give up your USC and continue to claim SS benefits, since you don't have to file US taxes anymore, does that mean your benefits are now WEP exempt?
Old Jun 15th 2014, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

OK, thanks. But it didn't answer my question. If you give up your USC and continue to claim SS benefits, since you don't have to file US taxes anymore, does that mean your benefits are now WEP exempt?
What does WEP have to do with US taxes? As far as I know, the two are not linked in any way.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Likewise, WEP is dependent on the amount of pensions you earned from jobs where you didn't pay into SS, not on citizenship.
SS is not exempt as I understand it even though you don't file US taxes. When you apply for SS you have to declare other pensions that were earned in jobs that did not pay SS taxes. The folks that pay SS and the IRS are two different government bodies. Not having to file US taxes means you will never be taxed on your SS income. (As a USC, and with the income I have, I expect to be taxed on 85% of my SS income).
Old Jun 17th 2014, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

SS is not exempt as I understand it even though you don't file US taxes. When you apply for SS you have to declare other pensions that were earned in jobs that did not pay SS taxes. The folks that pay SS and the IRS are two different government bodies. Not having to file US taxes means you will never be taxed on your SS income. (As a USC, and with the income I have, I expect to be taxed on 85% of my SS income).
So does that mean your SS income will be WEP'd or not?
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

So does that mean your SS income will be WEP'd or not?
When you apply for SS you have to declare other pensions that were earned in jobs that did not pay SS taxes. The folks that pay SS and the IRS are two different government bodies. Not having to file US taxes means you will never be taxed on your SS income but has nothing whatsoever to do with WEP.

Yes, you will be WEP'ed on your SS whether or not you are a US citizen.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

OK, thanks.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

flbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really nice

ok thanks very much,that's good to know. just needed some very approx figures,so that'll do nicely

Originally Posted by lansbury
As a rough guide your WEP deduction will be 30% with 24 years of SS payments.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

Great..thanks again

For myself, using the tables in the last link I posted I expect the max WEP deduction of approx $500/month. Good enough for budgeting purposes.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Lin_NJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have just joined the board. I will likely be taking a WEP hit, so this has been an invaluable discussion. Interestingly, there was a federal district court case very recently, Rabanal v. Colvin, Oct. 18, 2013, in the federal district court in Colorado where the judge ordered the SSA to undo the WEP on a Spanish senior (who was representing himself). The court construed the regulations to disallow application of WEP where the foreign pension included both earnings related and voluntary contributions. The Judge said, "the regulation expressly excludes from the WEP any pension from a social insurance system [here the Spanish one at issue] that is based on residence or citizenship, regardless of whether it is also based on earnings." The Regulation he is referring to is 20 C.F.R. 404.213(a)(3).

This Order has not been appealed by the SSA and it is out of time to do so. I wonder whether it is worth further challenges based on that reading for those of us with voluntary as well as earnings related contributions, such as I made in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.