Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK state pension and USA social security

UK state pension and USA social security

Old Mar 13th 2014, 8:42 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by RogieWillum
Hmmm... so living in the Florida Keys, that may make a nice excuse for a trip to Washington from time to time!

We will keep disentangling the worms from their can...

Thanks!
They have a Consulate in Miami. 1395 Brickell Avenue, Miami Fl 33131. Might be worth asking them about claiming your French pension.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

norfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to behold

I just got back from the Social Security office. First of all you have to pass through security, just like at the airport but even worse. They are a lot more thorough. Luckily I had an appointment and was waved to the front of the line otherwise I would probably still be there.

I don't know how much use this information will be to anyone. It looks like I will be getting a widow's pension which is in excess of my pension if I retire at the age of 65. If I retire at the age of 70, my pension will be more. However, I will be receiving a pension from Germany when I'm about 66 or 67 (not quite sure which). The WEP does not apply if you are receiving the pension from somebody else (i.e. widow). It would apply to my pension, so obviously I would be better off keeping the widow's pension and not take mine. Mine would be reduced significantly by the WEP if I chose to take it. Plus you can get married again after the age of 60 and your widow's pension would not be affected.

I asked if I moved to another country, would I still receive the pension. The reply was that since I am a US citizen it would be paid (except in the case of a couple of countries (like North Korea). I did not ask what would happen if I weren't a US citizen.

So, as I said, I really don't know how much help the above is. The only thing I know is make an appointment
Old Apr 7th 2014, 6:18 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, useful information especially the part about the widow or widowers pension not being subject to WEP.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Thanks, useful information especially the part about the widow or widowers pension not being subject to WEP.
+1
Old Apr 7th 2014, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

RogieWillum has a reputation beyond reputeRogieWillum has a reputation beyond reputeRogieWillum has a reputation beyond reputeRogieWillum has a reputation beyond reputeRogieWillum has a reputation beyond reputeRogieWillum has a reputation beyond reputeRogieWillum has a reputation beyond reputeRogieWillum has a reputation beyond reputeRogieWillum has a reputation beyond reputeRogieWillum has a reputation beyond reputeRogieWillum has a reputation beyond repute

My Brit pension is in the works, but my French pension seems to be on hold until I draw SS here in the States. The French insist I go through the SS in Baltimore - but that only happens if I've triggered my US SS. They can't cope with separate streams. Grrr. So I get to wait another few years. I believe one gets "back pay" when it starts, which is some comfort.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

norfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to behold

Something I forgot. Apparently I can claim my German pension through SS here, however, it could take up to and over a year before it's processed. I do have the alternative of filing direct with Germany. The VERY nice lady at SS told me they file with their international division then it depends on the other country's policies as to how long it takes.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norfolkbroad
The WEP does not apply if you are receiving the pension from somebody else (i.e. widow).
And, for the record, I believe that's also the case if part or all of your UK State Pension benefits are based upon the UK earnings/eligibility of an ex (wife or husband) - no WEP deduction will be made by US social security.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
This is most interesting in light of the questions that we (I) raised in post 182 of this thread.

Most of us believed a spouse pension (50%) resulting from the full pension of a husband or wife would not be subject to WEP, but we ran into an issue on one page from the SSA instructions. This post from norfolkbroad seems to confirm our original thinking (it's not WEPed) provided the information is not related solely to the widow(ers) pension and applies to all spouse pensions derived from a husband/wife's pension.

It's good news, but it really leaves one doubting anything they read in SSA publications.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

As I said before, the rep at SS was extremely good and seemed to know what she was doing. I asked the same question in different ways to be absolutely sure that the information was correct.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by RogieWillum
My Brit pension is in the works, but my French pension seems to be on hold until I draw SS here in the States. The French insist I go through the SS in Baltimore - but that only happens if I've triggered my US SS. They can't cope with separate streams. Grrr. So I get to wait another few years. I believe one gets "back pay" when it starts, which is some comfort.
Good old CNAV.

I can't help you regards the back pay question, but when applying for CNAV from the UK, it's the same situation. The French will not move until the appropriate paperwork is sent from the UK Pension Service, and it appears the UK do not move until the UK State Pension is applied for.

Too bad the UK can't apply for you.

Last edited by theOAP; Apr 7th 2014 at 7:30 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theOAP
This is most interesting in light of the questions that we (I) raised in post 182 of this thread.
Most of us believed a spouse pension (50%) resulting from the full pension of a husband or wife would not be subject to WEP, but we ran into an issue on one page from the SSA instructions. This post from norfolkbroad seems to confirm our original thinking (it's not WEPed) provided the information is not related solely to the widow(ers) pension and applies to all spouse pensions derived from a husband/wife's pension.
It's good news, but it really leaves one doubting anything they read in SSA publications.
OAP - disregard if I've misunderstood (will admit I just saw your post after sending my own - and haven't read thru this entire string) - but nevertheless, - might the confusion possibly arise from fact that I believe Lansbury is referring to UK Government Pensions - whereas you and I are referencing non-govt. benefits....
Old Apr 7th 2014, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MMcD
OAP - disregard if I've misunderstood (will admit I just saw your post after sending my own - and haven't read thru this entire string) - but nevertheless, - might the confusion possibly arise from fact that I believe Lansbury is referring to UK Government Pensions - whereas you and I are referencing non-govt. benefits....
No, I'm referring to any pension the spouse may have in their name. I still think if they qualify for 50% of a husband/wife's full SSA pension, WEP should not apply to the resulting pension based on the husband/wife's full pension, only on a SSA pension they receive based solely on their own (the spouse's) individual record.

But in all honesty, although (most) everything points to that being true, I would still prefer to see agreeing statements from SSA confirming that, and not contradictory statements.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

For clarification regarding norfolkbroad's situation:

If this is a widow's pension, the amount of the pension should be (IMHO) equal to the full amount (not 50% of) the husband's original SSA pension.

If the husband had been WEPed on their original pension, then (again IMHO) the resulting widow's pension would still be equal to the full amount (pre-WEP) of the husband's pension.

That's how I read the SSA literature. I could be wrong.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

I should have asked but I'm pretty certain that I will be receiving 100% of his pension. He died when he was 48 so it's not like he paid in a huge amount and the amount I'll be receiving (hopefully, once it's processed) is considerably more that I thought. I also thought that I would only be receiving a portion. In fact, I told the the rep that I wanted to hug and kiss her
Old Apr 7th 2014, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

My head hurts:
I get to the point where I actually think I understand it
Don't think about it again for months
Read about it again, here, some time later
Find my prior understanding has totally unraveled
And I'm back again at square 1 - or beyond

WEP can either make me weep and tear my hair out or decide WTF: forget about it. And that's what I'll do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.