Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK speeding ticket - need help

Wikiposts

UK speeding ticket - need help

Old Jan 31st 2006, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK speeding ticket - need help

Originally Posted by Big D
Really - i never noticed a difference but i will check next time
Me Fink I am also missing something, when in UK I always use my US license, US credit card & US address. Not sure why anyone would want to rent using UK license.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 5:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Me Fink I am also missing something, when in UK I always use my US license, US credit card & US address. Not sure why anyone would want to rent using UK license.
Cheaper car rental insurance on a UK license....some places it might not make a difference, in others, it does.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 6:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Cheaper car rental insurance on a UK license....some places it might not make a difference, in others, it does.
You can not have a US address on a UK license.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

It must only be on the smaller firms - can't see Hertz et al doing this as it would hurt their international image - and i have never seen a difference in quotes i have had.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
In the past I have always paid with my USA credit card & declined the insurance. In-fact my relatives in the UK, are always impressed at the price we paid. I will look into it some more.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 3:11 am
Account Closed

It must only be on the smaller firms - can't see Hertz et al doing this as it would hurt their international image - and i have never seen a difference in quotes i have had.
They can do whatever they want to do, and there must be a different risk factor, but like you I have never heard of it being priced that way.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 3:13 am
Account Closed

In the past I have always paid with my USA credit card & declined the insurance. In-fact my relatives in the UK, are always impressed at the price we paid. I will look into it some more.
Reg. Frank R.
The Insurance you declined in the UK would be the optional extras.

The norm in the UK is to have the core insuranc with the rental as you own policy would nopt cover hired vehicles.

Other way around in the US.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
The Insurance you declined in the UK would be the optional extras.

The norm in the UK is to have the core insuranc with the rental as you own policy would nopt cover hired vehicles.

Other way around in the US.

By law the rental companies in the UK include third party cover but you can exclude all the others (fully comp) and they are covered by certain credit card companies. If you use a UK licence and card you wont be able to do this so in effect it will cost you more!!

Just booked for March and got $250 deal for 9 days in a Vectra which seems good - bloody Vauxhall mind you!!
Old Feb 1st 2006, 3:54 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Just booked for March and got $250 deal for 9 days in a Vectra which seems good - bloody Vauxhall mind you!!
Nice. Is this a special deal and do you book it through a uk or us site ??
Old Feb 1st 2006, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Nice. Is this a special deal and do you book it through a uk or us site ??

Avis.com direct. I was using the BA website as i got a good deal there last time but that was 550!

A Laguna is even cheaper and pretty much the same size.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

They can do whatever they want to do, and there must be a different risk factor, but like you I have never heard of it being priced that way.

No doubt they can - just leaving themselves open to racism/discrimination claims. While there is a different risk profile with wrong side of road and standard of driving i very much doubt that this plays a part as they will have a blanket policy that they make a fortune out of anyway.

Would be interesting to know though.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:18 am
Account Closed

No doubt they can - just leaving themselves open to racism/discrimination claims. While there is a different risk profile with wrong side of road and standard of driving i very much doubt that this plays a part as they will have a blanket policy that they make a fortune out of anyway.

Would be interesting to know though.
Discrimination?!

Err No

Try getting a individual quote for Motor Insurance using just a US license in the UK.

Or any other non UK license.

They make money out of the optional add ons. As the 'basic' insurance is built into the cost, then this is a competitive factor. US of course it is all add ons.

I do not know how the big companies like Avis structure their Motor insurance, logic suggests that they would only but catastophe liability.

There is certainly logic in charging varying rates depending on individual hirer risk profile, but not I would have thought practical.

Companies in the UK often will hire without Insurance using their own fleet policy, but that is by prior arrangement and of course they obtain beneficial rates anyway.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:34 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Reg. Frank R.
For the CDW insurance, decline it and use a US Amex card. Gives you the collision waiver in most countries automatically.

Coverage is worldwide, except for vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica and New Zealand.)
https://www.ufac-claims.com/amexcm/aspx/aebenefits.aspx

Presume Visa/MC have something similar.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You can not have a US address on a UK license.
So...you still have your UK license with an old address though don't ya...unless you hand it in, but lets face it, how many of us have ever bothered doing that?
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
So...you still have your UK license with an old address though don't ya...unless you hand it in, but lets face it, how many of us have ever bothered doing that?
Actually my Brothers address...

I find it handy as ID when I get asked for it unreasonably in the US, pull out the UK license and what them go blank

Although I have not actually tried this, could also be useful when driving in the US out of state if the state has point sharing with your state.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.