Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK social security pension claims

UK social security pension claims

Old Jan 30th 2011, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Summerscalesa is just really niceSummerscalesa is just really niceSummerscalesa is just really niceSummerscalesa is just really niceSummerscalesa is just really niceSummerscalesa is just really niceSummerscalesa is just really niceSummerscalesa is just really nice
Default UK social security pension claims

Prior to moving to the USA in 1984 I worked for 16 years in the UK paying social security into the system. An expat has suggested I would have a UK pension when I retire. However I recently heard the UK has had a major shake up regarding pensions and I wondered as a result whether the pension for expats has been effected. Anyone have any knowledge on this one?
Old Jan 31st 2011, 9:41 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK social security pension claims

Originally Posted by Summerscalesa View Post
Prior to moving to the USA in 1984 I worked for 16 years in the UK paying social security into the system. An expat has suggested I would have a UK pension when I retire. However I recently heard the UK has had a major shake up regarding pensions and I wondered as a result whether the pension for expats has been effected. Anyone have any knowledge on this one?
So far, you are still OK (i.e., not affected by any major changes in legislation yet). For a full pension you would need 30 yrs of NI (it's not called SS in the UK) contributions, so you would currently be eligible for 16/30 of a full pension. Couple of caveats:

Recent changes mean that the retirement age is gradually being increased (for state pension, I mean, you can retire any time you want!)

For people also receiving US Soc Sec-based pension, your UK state pension is subject to the Windfall Elimination Provision - if you run a Search on the US and MBTTUK forums it will pull up several posts on the topic.

On a separate off-topic note, I was out walking with a small group of retirees on Saturday, all from public sector, on final salary pensions, all of whom bought nice houses early in life when it was still possible, and all of whom recently started receiving state pension.

The main financial grumble from them was how hard they find it to spend all the money that keeps coming in - one just bouoght a 38k camper van (red leather upholstery, full works), another says he is buying iPods, TVs, Blu-Ray, is looking at getting another new car (his 4th - and he only just bought a brand new SUV!). I don't think they realise they are the last of a truly lucky/privileged generation.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

This will give you all you need to know.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensions...on/DG_10026714

I have been recieving the UK pension since 1995 here in Canada. Unfortunately unlike expats in the US we in Canada do not get an indexed pension.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 9:11 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith View Post

I have been recieving the UK pension since 1995 here in Canada. Unfortunately unlike expats in the US we in Canada do not get an indexed pension.
I have NEVER understood the logic in that - why index-link for people living in an ex-colony that kicked us out, but penalize people who live in countries that still swear allegiance to the Queen? (Well, they play the national anthem now and then, anyway).
Old Jan 31st 2011, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

Summerscalesa is just really niceSummerscalesa is just really niceSummerscalesa is just really niceSummerscalesa is just really niceSummerscalesa is just really niceSummerscalesa is just really niceSummerscalesa is just really niceSummerscalesa is just really nice

Originally Posted by Keith View Post

Thanks this was very helpful.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 1:30 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving View Post
For people also receiving US Soc Sec-based pension, your UK state pension is subject to the Windfall Elimination Provision
If someone moved to the USA in 1984 and has been working since, they should normally have 26 years of contributions (if every employment was liable to SS). It would make sense to clock up another 4 years at least, as I understand it, if you have 30 years US Social Security then the windfall elimination does not apply to you.