Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Self assessment/tax software

UK Self assessment/tax software

Old Sep 2nd 2020, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

phish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Self assessment/tax software

Second year in US and first with no prior tax year obligations for the UK.

I need to file a self assessment as have rental property in the UK. However, noticing that I can't do that online via the HMRC site as I'm an overseas non-resident.

Noticed that there is a list of approved self-assessment software suppliers on the HMRC site that I could use. This would be vastly preferred to completing and returning a physical paper copy.

Does anybody have any experience of any of these software suppliers and would recommend one over another?
Old Sep 3rd 2020, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Self assessment/tax software

Originally Posted by phish
Does anybody have any experience of any of these software suppliers and would recommend one over another?

I've used ABC assessment since we moved here six years ago with no issues.

Steve
Old Sep 3rd 2020, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

TaxCalc is usually excellent and widely used.
Old Sep 3rd 2020, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cook_County
TaxCalc is usually excellent and widely used.
This is what I use, although I am a UK resident so can't comment on using it as a US resident.
Old Sep 4th 2020, 12:14 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the suggestions, will dive into one of them over the weekend
Old Sep 10th 2020, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

please report back if you find something that works for you. I too am interested in this. I pay an accountant in the UK to do my taxes for me, but frankly they are pretty simple and should be easily filed online.
Old Sep 11th 2020, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelman
please report back if you find something that works for you. I too am interested in this. I pay an accountant in the UK to do my taxes for me, but frankly they are pretty simple and should be easily filed online.
Doing it online yourself is probably very doable. I help my wife's sister do her taxes online each year. She had never had to do self assessments until after her husband died. Her FA told her she needed to file since their joint accounts were now in her name and the equity dividends and capital gains were more than her tax free personal allowance. (The tax free allowance for dividends these days is only £2k whereas when her husband was alive and they each had a tax free allowance is was something like £5k allowance each person). The first year we did her taxes she also had a house sale as she didn't want to continue to look after a 2nd home. Ongoing she also has some capital gains from her brokerage to report.

Even with our foreign pensions and other income I could easily see to doing our self assessments online but I continue to pay ~£30 for Taxcalc because it is very easy to run multiple scenarios through the tax year as we have some flexibility in selling shares and withdrawing from taxable retirement accounts.
Old Sep 12th 2020, 12:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by angelman
Ended up using Taxcalc. No complaints for £25 - took me about an hour or so to complete the return and it's showing as received on the HMRC portal with no tax due as I was under the personal allowance. Expect I'll do the same next year.