Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to SD,CA..... oh S***

UK to SD,CA..... oh S***

Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

unrelated is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to SD,CA..... oh S***

Well, a few months ago i was asked to by my company if i would like to relocate to the US for 6 months. Really looking back i knew this would not been 6 months but i was just putting it off....

My wife is the one who is really intrested in going to the US, which is why i said yes instantly.

Last week i was asked to move there for 1 yr, this is where things start to become a little complicated.

We have a house we own in the UK and was planning on keeping for 6 months, now we are going to need to rent it for the year.

Well we have said yes and we are going to go for a year, the only thing is... can we really afford to.

So ive been looking into the cost of living in the Uk and in San Diego but im strugling to find the information we require..

Next week ill be having discussions about the visa's and things.

So many things i need to know, so many things which will be unknowen etc.

We have spend 3 weeks in SD (thanks work ) and we do like the place, the only thing is... its just not home and im not sure if i am really wanting to spend a whole year there... theres nothing stopping me just fear lol

cheers
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:32 pm
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to SD,CA..... oh S***

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Go for it, and if you still don't like it after a few momths, go back home.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Im not sure the option to come back after a few months is really there to be honest.

The way the company is working it sugests that this is not really going to be a workable option.

thanks
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unrelated
Im not sure the option to come back after a few months is really there to be honest.

The way the company is working it sugests that this is not really going to be a workable option.

thanks
You need to make sure that you have written into your contract that you can return to the UK if you choose, and that they will pay for full repatriation.

Perfectly normal if they're moving you abroad, so it should be part of your relocation package anyway, but best to check!

Good luck.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, ill check on that.

Ive kinda had this dropped on me and im not sure what i should be asking etc.

Ive been reading this website a lot and hopefully ill have a lot mroe information by the time everything is in writing.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Some local rags...

www.signonsandiego.com
www.nctimes.com
www.sdreader.com

Some local activities...

www.sandiegozoo.org
www.sandiegozoo.org/wap (wild animal park)
www.midway.org
www.balboapark.org
www.sandiegowineries.org
www.sandiego.org/nav/Visitors

Local public radio...
www.kpbs.org

Seems like it's time for a SoCal meet-up
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the info.

I should of mentioned this before really... We spent a few weeks there together, first week was ace but due to the wife being made redundant while we where away the last two weeks where more difficult.

Typical company, tell the person they have been made redundant while they are away from the country.

Any who.. i digress.

I have been there for a few weeks on my own and think the place is ok, still not sure if i could really live there, only time will tell.

I found that it was quiet expensive and have been looking into the living costs but are unable to find the information i want without having to pay.

Ill check out those website's thank you
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Won't your company be giving you a cost of living allowance? Surely your salary will have to reflect the cost to you and family for the area you live?
Old Jul 19th 2009, 6:04 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Well, a few months ago i was asked to by my company if i would like to relocate to the US for 6 months. Really looking back i knew this would not been 6 months but i was just putting it off....

My wife is the one who is really intrested in going to the US, which is why i said yes instantly.

Last week i was asked to move there for 1 yr, this is where things start to become a little complicated.

We have a house we own in the UK and was planning on keeping for 6 months, now we are going to need to rent it for the year.

Well we have said yes and we are going to go for a year, the only thing is... can we really afford to.

So ive been looking into the cost of living in the Uk and in San Diego but im strugling to find the information we require..

Next week ill be having discussions about the visa's and things.

So many things i need to know, so many things which will be unknowen etc.

We have spend 3 weeks in SD (thanks work ) and we do like the place, the only thing is... its just not home and im not sure if i am really wanting to spend a whole year there... theres nothing stopping me just fear lol

cheers
Well, its hardly bumhair Indiana is it? San Diego and environs is a fantastic part of the US, great weather, beaches, laid back CA culture, hell they even have some good Indian restaurants there. You can mooch up to LA, Malibu, Santa Barbara, across to Joshua Tree or Vegas, down into Mexico. Easy flights to San Francisco or even Hawaii.

One year will go by in the blink of an eye and you'll be hoping you can extend your visa.

For apartments, cars, cheap furniture and anything else you can think of, try
the San Diego craigslist http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ - it will be your best friend. There's bound to be an Ikea of something kicking around.

Car insurance will be more expensive (prob around $200 - $250 pcm), you need to get the company to provide 100% medical (no contributions from you), looks like somewhere in the $1500 - $2000 will get you a 2 bed apartment (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/apa/) I still find eating out, clothes etc somewhat cheaper in the US. Taxes in California will be broadly similar to the UK.

Renting out the UK pad - as well as the P85 you will also need to complete an NRL1. Get agents to do full management (10-15% + vat) and to price the place to let, better having a lower rent for the 12 months than slightly higher one for 9. Let you mortgage lender and insurer know. Agent should manage the corgi gas test etc. Store anything of value or sentimental value if you are letting furnished.

The real question is can you afford NOT to take the opportunity.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Won't your company be giving you a cost of living allowance? Surely your salary will have to reflect the cost to you and family for the area you live?
This is something im discussing next week, all being well. Hence the researching.

apartments: Some of the guys already a cross in the US have been using a estate agent however the latest person has used craigslist with good success.

Car insurance is a interesting one, im wondering about getting a second hand car, i was wondering if i need to get a US driving licence or if i can drive on a UK?

Whats a P85 and NRL1 ?

As far as i know, all medical stuff will be sorted and there's a basic package they put together.

We have been thinking about renting the Uk pad and its a must, as for the stuff in it... well... think its time for a sort out any way. he he ebay / giveaway might be on the cards and the bits left will be as part of a part furnished rental we think.

I would like to thank you all for your help, not just now but for the nex 300 threads lol

cheers
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

it would be useful if we had a ballpark range for what they are offering in terms of salary while you're out there.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of work do you do, how much cash are they offering (ball park figure at least), which visa. If H1B, is wifey happy not working?

Get your wife on here too - she needs us just as much as you do

Exciting times ahead!
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:40 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

There is a messageboard you might look at. It will be San Diego specific and will answer questions about neighborhoods, apartments, etc.

http://city-data.com/forum/
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

This is something im discussing next week, all being well. Hence the researching.

apartments: Some of the guys already a cross in the US have been using a estate agent however the latest person has used craigslist with good success.

Car insurance is a interesting one, im wondering about getting a second hand car, i was wondering if i need to get a US driving licence or if i can drive on a UK?

Whats a P85 and NRL1 ?

As far as i know, all medical stuff will be sorted and there's a basic package they put together.

We have been thinking about renting the Uk pad and its a must, as for the stuff in it... well... think its time for a sort out any way. he he ebay / giveaway might be on the cards and the bits left will be as part of a part furnished rental we think.

I would like to thank you all for your help, not just now but for the nex 300 threads lol

cheers
Try the advanced search engine...located in the pink bar at the top of this page. Search the US forums for previous relocation threads....there are several good informative threads. They will give you an idea on the sort of questions you should be asking your employer ie vacation days, repatriation, death or serious illness of a close relative in the UK, healthcare etc.

Give me a shout if you require help finding the threads.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Try the advanced search engine...located in the pink bar at the top of this page. Search the US forums for previous relocation threads....there are several good informative threads. They will give you an idea on the sort of questions you should be asking your employer ie vacation days, repatriation, death or serious illness of a close relative in the UK, healthcare etc.

Give me a shout if you require help finding the threads.
Sambapink should be able to give some good info on what to ask an employer for.

For one year I'd do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.