Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK scientist to USA

UK scientist to USA

Old May 29th 2015, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

SouthernDandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile UK scientist to USA

Hi all, just thought I would introduce myself. A 24 year old Environmental/Agricultural Scientist currently finishing up my Masters with plans to hopefully head to the USA for work or a paid relevant intern ship if I can find any.

Anyway thanks for this great forum!

Will probably be asking for questions soon when this Masters Degree is finished but any advise is good

Cheers - Danny
Old May 29th 2015, 12:22 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK scientist to USA

Welcome Danny.
No experience of Environmental/Agricultural Science. I'm in the Nuclear Magnetic Resonance field. But have you considered working towards your Phd here in the States?
With a masters it could be something to investigate and get your foot in the door so to speak.
In my research facility we have many non US researchers working towards their Phds.
Old May 29th 2015, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks excpomea

Yeah I've considered my pHD in the US particularly with Cornell (Msc supervisor was a Post doc there) but the costs in the US seem is quite%

Last edited by SouthernDandy; May 29th 2015 at 12:35 pm.
Old May 29th 2015, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

chuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud of

If you study higher education in USA that will give you a path to temporary work experience in USA (via J visa) which may lead to an US employer sponsoring you for an H visa; also USA higher education is preferential in the H visa lottery over those with non-USA education. Once you have an H visa you can apply for a Green Card. That's the situation currently.
Old May 29th 2015, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info chuckles
Old May 29th 2015, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Get to know people - network, be involved in seminars (not just listen: interact with others), find out who key people are in organisations, etc. And start now! Good luck.
Old May 29th 2015, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Certainly will do Cheers guys!
Old May 29th 2015, 3:06 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

I agree it must be expensive. But how do all these Indian, Chinese and Korean manage it?
They seem to be as poor as dirt, but there all here working on their Phds
Old May 29th 2015, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

Excpomea, I'll check maybe there is some form of international funding, thanks for the tips, I'll be doing some research
Old May 29th 2015, 3:50 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SouthernDandy
Thanks excpomea

Yeah I've considered my pHD in the US particularly with Cornell (Msc supervisor was a Post doc there) but the costs in the US seem is quite%
Depending on what you choose to study, the *uni* might pay *you*.
Old May 29th 2015, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Danny,

Undertook my undergraduate degree (Sciences) in the UK and worked there before moving over to the states, once I got here I worked for a bit and then decided to return to university for an MBA in the USA, which I am at the tail end of finishing. And yes there is a big difference between studying in the UK vs USA.

Welcome to the forum.
Old May 29th 2015, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on the GMAT exam or not taking it. Ph.D's students get sponsored plus some of the people from Asia are very close and support each other, such as sharing most of what they have etc.

Originally Posted by excpomea
I agree it must be expensive. But how do all these Indian, Chinese and Korean manage it?
Old May 29th 2015, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

SouthernDandy: Even if you are interested in a PhD, I suggest you go ahead with an internship anyway. It will give you a taste of living here, without the overheads of finding/getting accepted into a program, and likely help you network to find people/a group where you're really interested in further study. Also, experience in a real workplace will only help you in the long run.

Originally Posted by excpomea
But how do all these Indian, Chinese and Korean manage it?
Same way most Americans do it: get teaching/graduate assistantships and work your way through. Although, foreigners are often willing to live in places Americans are not - like Starkville, MS. Unfortunately, this can be because they are unaware of how bad the middle of the country can get, especially for not-white people
Old May 29th 2015, 8:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Further study would be the way to go...seems quite a few uni's that do that kind of field in the Boston area, but else where in the north east too.

Another consideration is one of the tech councils. The Brit Consulate, in Boston at least, often has trade delegations and brings people over for stinks to the local companies and colleges as some exchange program. I don't really know the details, but they keep chucking invites via their LinkedIn page.
Old May 30th 2015, 12:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veryfunny
.... some of the people from Asia are very close and support each other, such as sharing most of what they have etc.
Agreed. It is not uncommon for a "family consortium" in Asian countries to each chip-in to fund a foreign student, presumably on the understanding that in future, when the sponsored person gets a lucrative job, they send money back to their sponsors.

Some of this came to light a few years ago when a Chinese student, in Iowa IIRC, who had been sponsored by her family, was murdered. It left her parents not only mourning their daughter but also anticapting poverty in their old age. If you're future income depends on one person you really should take out some life insurance on them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.