Reload this Page >

UK Salary v US Salary

UK Salary v US Salary

Old Oct 10th 2010, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

WilliamAS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Salary v US Salary

Hello,
I have just been offered to move in my current UK-job to the USA. This is great news, but I am trying to work out what salary I should expect.
I am currently making around GBP 67k + 10% bonus+ 7k car allowance + medical + pension. How much should I expect to earn in New Jersey?

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks
William
Old Oct 10th 2010, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Untitled 3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Salary v US Salary

What field are you in? It can vary by industry.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Also, where are you in the UK and what kind of lifestyle do you want to have in the US?

A GBP 67k salary + 10% bonus gets you a lot more in Leeds than it does in London.

New Jersey can be a fairly expensive place to live but even there a lot depends on exactly where you are in NJ and what your expectations are.

All that having been said, if I had to pull a number out of the air, I would guess that you should be looking for something in the $140k - $150k range.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

As the others have said, it's not a straightforward calculation. For example, in my position in the UK (software technical authority) I can't expect much more than 5-10% extra in the US at the current exchange rate, whereas my wife (CCU nurse) could expect at least double her current salary - plus get signing on bonuses in certain areas. Take off insurance and other things you don't pay in the UK and I might get the same salary in the US.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Untitled 3
What field are you in? It can vary by industry.
Thanks for your input. I am in the Telecom industry moving from London to a pretty nice area approx 1 hr from the City.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WilliamAS
Thanks for your input. I am in the Telecom industry moving from London to a pretty nice area approx 1 hr from the City.
Have they put a figure on the table?
Old Oct 11th 2010, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

chrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to all

http://www.glassdoor.com/index.htm

Very rough though, people under/overestate their salaries for various reasons.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

That's still a pretty broad industry - and an equally broad description of where, both of which still vary the (even subjective) figures considerably!
Old Oct 11th 2010, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Have they put a figure on the table?
They offered to match my UK base pay in USD, but all benefits will be removed. I.e. I will lose my 7k GBP car allowance.

Does anyone know whether in the UK a car allowance is considered part of base pay or whether it is normally considered a special benefit.

I remember that in Holland it was considered part of Salary, but I am not sure of the UK-rules

Thanks,
William
Old Oct 11th 2010, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

They offered to match my UK base pay in USD, but all benefits will be removed. I.e. I will lose my 7k GBP car allowance.

Does anyone know whether in the UK a car allowance is considered part of base pay or whether it is normally considered a special benefit.

I remember that in Holland it was considered part of Salary, but I am not sure of the UK-rules

Thanks,
William
It sounds like you would be worse off with that deal. You will need to be sure you will have a good medical plan before moving here. If they are going to just pay you at today's exchange rate that's about $107,000. It's a good wage, but as others have mentioned, depending on where you live it may not go that far. Of course it depends what your other options are and your motivations for moving.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 5:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
I have just been offered to move in my current UK-job to the USA. This is great news, but I am trying to work out what salary I should expect.
I am currently making around GBP 67k + 10% bonus+ 7k car allowance + medical + pension. How much should I expect to earn in New Jersey?

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks
William
Is it a permanent move...are you actually leaving the UK firm and joining the US firm? If so NJ is a fire at will state...so you can lose your job and receive little or no compensation. Also check holiday entitlement...the normal is 5 to 10 days...so you may want to look into being compensated for the extra days you are working each year. Check the pension scheme available...how long will you have to work before you're vested in the scheme?
Old Oct 11th 2010, 5:51 pm
Account Closed

Retseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really nice

I tripled my salary when I moved over, and was able to make more choices about where to spend it/save it (paid less tax, more healthcare options, more retirement investment options etc).

Just remember though that it's not all about the money, vacation is EXTREMELY important - I came from 6 weeks of holidays in the UK to just 2 weeks over here. So I had all this money, and no time to enjoy it. Of course it means that after 9 years I now have several hundred thousand $ sitting in investment accounts and no real idea what to do with it all, but I miss those vacations that I didn't get to have.

Remember to negotiate time off just as vigorously as the cash deal.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Is it a permanent move...are you actually leaving the UK firm and joining the US firm? If so NJ is a fire at will state...so you can lose your job and receive little or no compensation. Also check holiday entitlement...the normal is 5 to 10 days...so you may want to look into being compensated for the extra days you are working each year. Check the pension scheme available...how long will you have to work before you're vested in the scheme?
Thanks. I am actually staying with the same company after over 10 years of service so the vacation will not be decreased significantly.

Thanks for all your help. If anyone know of some 'official' document or formula to use please let me know
Old Oct 11th 2010, 6:59 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I am actually staying with the same company after over 10 years of service so the vacation will not be decreased significantly.

Thanks for all your help. If anyone know of some 'official' document or formula to use please let me know
Make sure you have your vacation entitlement in writing. I was in the same boat and assumed that the 32 days I had accrued would be matched. Not so...
Old Oct 11th 2010, 7:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

What I meant was...when you move here will your contract of employment be with the UK company or the US company? Terms and conditions of employment could be very different in terms of severance pay, holiday entitlement etc. What visa will you have...make sure you get it in writing that the company will apply for a Green Card asap if applicable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.