British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK Qualifications Transfer to US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-qualifications-transfer-us-858535/)

nun May 20th 2015 11:49 pm

Re: UK Qualifications Transfer to US

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11652008)
See #7, above. He has a thread re a K-1 in the Marriage and fiancé visas subforum. :nod:

Ahh, OK.

Technical and professional qualifications basically don't transfer. College and university degrees and previous job experience are generally accepted by employers just like the US equivalents.

excpomea May 21st 2015 1:16 am

I have a mate in Tampa that was ex EOD and he's now a Tampa cop.
Pretty sure he went back to collage and got a degree of some sort.

As mentioned, you may need to be a US citizen to become a cop.

With the HGV you could use the experience to become a truck driver over here.
I have another friend ex Welsh Guards who does this and loves it.

Know too many ex forces over here, mostly Falklands vets.

AndyEODV8 May 22nd 2015 1:30 am

Thanks again for the info guys.

I have a lot of work experience including several operational tours of Iraq and Afghanistan, also soldier exchange with the U.S. Army EOD in fort hood. Jungle exercises in Belize and various operational exercise in Germany Cyprus.

Just going threw the process of interviewing and cv techniques

But ideally even if I was to stay in the UK always wanted to be in law enforcement after my military career.

Does anyone know on how long it would take to acquire a degree is I require one for police work or California highway patrol?

As for the visa part my fiancé is applying for the K1 visa application at the moment.

Thanks again guys.

MidAtlantic May 22nd 2015 1:41 am

Originally Posted by AndyEODV8 (Post 11653448)
Thanks again for the info guys.

I have a lot of work experience including several operational tours of Iraq and Afghanistan, also soldier exchange with the U.S. Army EOD in fort hood. Jungle exercises in Belize and various operational exercise in Germany Cyprus.

Just going threw the process of interviewing and cv techniques

But ideally even if I was to stay in the UK always wanted to be in law enforcement after my military career.

Does anyone know on how long it would take to acquire a degree is I require one for police work or California highway patrol?

As for the visa part my fiancé is applying for the K1 visa application at the moment.

Thanks again guys.

For California Highway Patrol you have to be a citizen.

https://www.chp.ca.gov/CHPCareersSit...in06042014.pdf

Guindalf May 22nd 2015 1:46 am

A degree may or may not be required. It depends on the police department, and there are hundreds in the US, each with its own requirements! As to how long it takes totally depends on your ability to learn, but typically, it can take up to four years or more.

Possibly more important than the degree would be your citizenship, which as I stated earlier, is REQUIRED by most police departments. If you're entering into a K-1 process, it will most likely be at least four years before you can file and obtain naturalization, so you have plenty of time to got THROUGH the process!

excpomea May 22nd 2015 2:17 am

Could be driving a HGV whilst working on it. :)

scrubbedexpat099 May 22nd 2015 4:42 am

You would seem to be a good fit for Chicago, plenty of relevant experience.

I met someone who was a dispatcher, could do that on a GC.

Pulaski May 22nd 2015 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11653660)
You would seem to be a good fit for Chicago, plenty of relevant experience.

I met someone who was a dispatcher, could do that on a GC.

The police employ lots of "civilians", too. Basic crime reporting is often handled, round here at least, by a call center. :blink:

A few years ago when my truck was broken into, I had to report it over the phone. My call was handled by a young woman who sounded east European .... and when I reported what was stolen (thankfully only one memorable tangible item), she asked what a "Maglite" was? WTF! :rolleyes:

scrubbedexpat099 May 22nd 2015 4:59 am

That may be a gender issue.

Pulaski May 22nd 2015 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11653670)
That may be a gender issue.

I think it was more of an "I don't know anything about policing in the US" issue. :lol:

excpomea May 22nd 2015 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11653677)
I think it was more of an "I don't know anything about policing in the US" issue. :lol:

Her name was 'Tiffany' but with a slight New Deli accent no doubt.

AndyEODV8 May 23rd 2015 5:40 am

How do people not know what a Maglite is????

Been speaking to my fiancé and think going to look in to U.S. military I think as I'm not really ready to give up on military life yet.

So seeing the recruiter in October after speaking to the recruitment office is Fresno as they might be an exemption for me joining as I have worked a long side the U.S. Military and having prior military experience, but would have to do basic training again as I would need to learn the U.S. Army way of drill rank structure

Guess all I can do is wait and see at the moment

Pulaski May 23rd 2015 7:02 am

Originally Posted by AndyEODV8 (Post 11654557)
..... would have to do basic training again as I would need to learn the U.S. Army way of drill rank structure. ......

And learning to sing while you run. :rolleyes:

AndyEODV8 May 23rd 2015 8:51 am

Yeah was weird doing that when I was at fort hood