Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK PS3 in US

UK PS3 in US

Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

thistle4171 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK PS3 in US

Due to move to Austin in 2 months and wondering if my UK Playstation 3 and games will work in US without any major investments?

Anybody got any experience of this?

Thank
Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all
Default Re: UK PS3 in US

Not sure on PS3, however I bought my XBOX here - works fine on US TV's via HDMI. Had to buy a 110v PSU on ebay as the UK supplied one was 220v only (check on your PSU to see if its dual voltage. Can't buy US games as they are region locked so have to either order them online from the play.com UK site, or pick them up when I make a trips back to London.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

washsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nice

My UK PS3 works just fine (just used a travel adapter) and plays games and Blu Rays no problem on my Samsung HD TV. Only thing it does not play is non-BluRay DVDs but looking at forums this seems to be a common problem associated with Samsung TVs
Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:37 am
Just Joined

thistle4171 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. Good news..the kids will be happy
Old Aug 30th 2010, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

NickRE2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

The PS3's power supply is auto switching (mine is anyway, its one of the old 'fat' ones, 60gb) you'll just need a US kettle type power lead.

US games will work fine, but it wont play US Blu-Rays or US DVD's.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 3:37 pm
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by thistle4171
Due to move to Austin in 2 months and wondering if my UK Playstation 3 and games will work in US without any major investments?

Anybody got any experience of this?

Thank
Dont forget to get a multi region free DVD player here too so you can watch all your old UK DVDs !

(thank goodness for technology)
in the old days you couldnt bring your tapes etc as it was so expensive to turn them into NTSC from Pal

now u can do it on your home PC !!
ps: no need to miss any brit TV shows anymore either- Just download the torrents to your PC-buy a slingcatcher from best buy and watch them on your new Big screen TV !
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by callowman
Dont forget to get a multi region free DVD player here too so you can watch all your old UK DVDs !

in the old days you couldnt bring your tapes etc as it was so expensive to turn them into NTSC from Pal

ps: no need to miss any brit TV shows anymore either- Just download the torrents to your PC-buy a slingcatcher from best buy and watch them on your new Big screen TV !
I use Vuse, when the programme's downloaded you just drag and drop it into the PS3 option in Devices and Robert's your mother's brother.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Tonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really nice

I bought a PS3 from america in 2006 and took back to UK, the PS3 has an internal voltage adaptor, you can plug it into 110v or 240v and it will work fine with a normal kettle type cord, dont know if the new ps3 slims have this feature though
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:26 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callowman

Just buy a cheap DVD player and get a hack code to unlock it or buy something from http://www.220-electronics.com/dvd/dvdorig.htm

For the torrent tv shows they play fine through a PS3 or XBOX 360.