British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK post to USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-post-usa-301072/)

tony126 May 5th 2005 8:27 pm

UK post to USA

Can I have your comments on the average posage time you have experienced of receiving and sending mail to the UK. My experience is 5/6 days but if I was to post on a Monday it probably would not get there until the following Monday. Received my General Election Postal Vote today, 5th May :D ,and according to the postage stamp from the Borough Council post room it was stamped 25th April (Monday) so has taken 10 days. Postage cost looks to be correct.

snorkmaiden May 5th 2005 8:46 pm

Re: UK post to USA

It usually takes post from Liverpool about 4/5 days to get here to me in Dallas.

I got my ballot paper (from Bristol) on the 27th and hopefully it will have arrived back there on time as I posted it back the same day.

NC Penguin May 5th 2005 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by tony126
Can I have your comments on the average posage time you have experienced of receiving and sending mail to the UK. My experience is 5/6 days but if I was to post on a Monday it probably would not get there until the following Monday. Received my General Election Postal Vote today, 5th May :D ,and according to the postage stamp from the Borough Council post room it was stamped 25th April (Monday) so has taken 10 days. Postage cost looks to be correct.

Five business days is the norm for me, usually between NC and London, UK.

Packages can sometimes take longer. Had a package take nearly a month by air service (at least that was paid for by the sender in the UK).

NC Penguin

BritGuyTN May 5th 2005 9:04 pm

My royal mail redir3ection can take as long as three weeks - incompetent fools

normal airmail about 5-6 days

Elvira May 5th 2005 9:25 pm

Ranges from 2 days to 3+ weeks. Completely unpredictable.

Median I'd say is ~ 4-6 days.

But it always takes longer when it's urgent :(

britvic May 5th 2005 9:38 pm

I find that my mail from U.K gets here 4 to 5 days, from here back 7 to 8 days.

Bob May 5th 2005 9:40 pm

Letters normally 3-5 days, did get one in 2 days though....light parcels like magazines and stuff about 4-10 days, anything heavier, depends on how it was sent.

Wonder how many postal ballots made it on time to be counted...

mandpete May 5th 2005 9:41 pm

Manchester area to NJ usually takes 4-5 days. One letter did arrive in 2 days but there again I am still waiting to receive one from London that was sent in October 2004. :mad:

AdobePinon May 5th 2005 9:44 pm

I get about three to five days on letters. Anything in a box in anyone's guess.

(If often takes longer to send something to somewhere else in NM. :confused:)

scrubbedexpat099 May 5th 2005 10:26 pm

Nearer 5 days for me.

But 2 weeks for the Sunday Times to appear in the local Bookstore.

rincewind May 5th 2005 11:15 pm

Always been five days. If my mother posts to me on Monday, I'll get it by Saturday and vice versa.

Don't forget, the UK has Bank Holidays that differ to the US which could play a part in strange delays but 10 days does sound like a long time to me.

Pulaski May 7th 2005 2:23 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Five business days is the norm for me, usually between NC and London, UK. ....

Ditto for me, 100 miles west of London to NC.

My voting paper arrived Friday 29th, I splurged on FedExing it back (I know it arrived in time, on Wednesday May 4th), and my vote contributed to a swing-win. :)

Maz May 7th 2005 2:59 am

Usually around 4 to 5 days. Anything important though, naturally takes longer LOL. Postcards from my daughter to her grandparents take around 2 weeks. :eek: