Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Police Officer wanting a US life....Possible?

UK Police Officer wanting a US life....Possible?

Old Sep 3rd 2012, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

kristo32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Police Officer wanting a US life....Possible?

Hello all,

I just joined this forum having read a couple of similar threads that are ageing slightly so I thought Id ask a fresh question....

The title gives it away slightly but I am looking seriously into the possibility of moving to the USA to become a Police Officer. I currently work as a response officer in the UK and have done so for 7 years.

The Obvious question is......

1. Is this possible without going through hell and high water to do so?
2. I have family in the US who are citizens and have been so for many years, I understand there may be a sponsorship opportunity???
3. I have been told by a friend of a friend etc :-/ that a few areas such as Chicago were taking the lead on taking external people into the force as a 'trial' witht he possibilty of America looking at this as an immigrant option?

naturally I have a lot more to say but the above points pretty much cover it and I would be very grateful for anyone who has knowledge to give me a definative answer!

thanks for your time.

Kris
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 9:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Police Officer wanting a US life....Possible?

Originally Posted by kristo32
1. Is this possible without going through hell and high water to do so?
Not likely if you base it on trying to pursue being a Police Officer in the USA. I doubt you can find an employer to sponsor you for a work visa. Most law enforcement agencies require one to be a USC before they will hire you. Even if you find one that does not have that requirement, there are plenty of out-of-work US police officers they can hire before looking abroad for one.

2. I have family in the US who are citizens and have been so for many years, I understand there may be a sponsorship opportunity??
If one of your USC family happens to be your spouse, parent, child or sibling, yes. Anything else, no.

3. I have been told by a friend of a friend etc :-/ that a few areas such as Chicago were taking the lead on taking external people into the force as a 'trial' witht he possibilty of America looking at this as an immigrant option?
You should get in touch with the friend of the friend and see what he can do for you, if anything.

Rene
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Short version is very very unlikely.

Option 2 would be the most likely, are they Parents or a Spouse?
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

kristo32 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks so much for the quick reply.

the family member i have is an Uncle so I I guess its a no go there!

I do hope things change as I have a lot to offer and seriously want to give that to the US but for now Ill leave it then and look to OZ or Canada where I know it is a possibility.

many thanks, kris
Old Sep 4th 2012, 1:44 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Basically turn the situation around. How would a US cop come to work in the UK? What local police department in the UK is currently hiring foreigners to do the job that UK citizens could be doing? Which police department would go to the immigration and say "we simply cannot find enough qualified UK citizens that we are willing to pay all the visa fees and hire someone from Canada to do this job". Yea, it's a bit like that, with the added hassle of state licensing rules in many states that *require* US citizenship to be a police officer. Oh, and add to that the large pool of potential police who are coming off active service of patrol duty in Iraq and Afghanistan. It's a really tough road.

One option (yes, there are options) are to develop a niche in your law enforcement / security skills. Become say an expert in cybersecurity (uni-degree needed), or join a large multi-national company in the UK as part of their executive security / safety team. Look for a transfer within the company to the US offices at a later date.

The other option is to come to the US for study. It costs quite a bit, but after you get a degree here you can apply for "practical work training" and make the case that an employer should hire you (though I'd get out of law enforcement).

It's a rough one--maybe the easier option is to goto Oz, but if you are willing to make some changes in your credentials and career it might still work out somewhere down the road.

Good luck.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

It always makes me question motives whean I see someone asking about coming to the States, realizing it may be impossible and then saying "Well, maybe I can get into Oz or Canada"!

1. What are the reasons for wanting to get out of Blighty?
2. What makes you think that things are better in the USA/Canada/Oz?
3. Can you REALLY have done your homework when you make statements like this?
4. You DO realize that the grass is not always greener, don't you?
Old Sep 4th 2012, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
It always makes me question motives whean I see someone asking about coming to the States, realizing it may be impossible and then saying "Well, maybe I can get into Oz or Canada"!

What's wrong with having an adventure in your life?
Old Sep 4th 2012, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Good points and what on earth would be the attraction of police work here?
Old Sep 4th 2012, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I suppose only Kristo knows for sure.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 4:07 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Guns.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
What's wrong with having an adventure in your life?
Absolutely nothing. My point is that people think everything's better here because they've been to DisneyWorld or spent a couple of weeks visiting relatives. We all know this is true.

If someone really wants to come here, do so by all means, but do so with your eyes open!

Actually, Sally, this one I can see. Procedures are different here to back home and I can appreciate the professional curiosity.

What I don't understand is the willingness to give up everything you know to walk off a cliff into something that is literally totally alien, just on the off-chance it's better than what you have!
Old Sep 4th 2012, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Absolutely nothing. My point is that people think everything's better here because they've been to DisneyWorld or spent a couple of weeks visiting relatives. We all know this is true.

If someone really wants to come here, do so by all means, but do so with your eyes open!

Actually, Sally, this one I can see. Procedures are different here to back home and I can appreciate the professional curiosity.

What I don't understand is the willingness to give up everything you know to walk off a cliff into something that is literally totally alien, just on the off-chance it's better than what you have!
But this is my point. He says he has read some older threads concerning his questions.. He doesn't seem like the typical "I've been to Disneyworld and all things US must be fantastic" immigrant, but then again, I don't know. He doesn't say he's looking for a better life, maybe he is.... However, he may be a single person who wants to see a bit of the world, experience life outside the UK. In which case I say good luck to him!
Old Sep 4th 2012, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Me too. My comment was more generic than specific!
Old Sep 4th 2012, 5:18 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt very many UK police officers could do the job here. They would need to trained from scratch and need a huge mindset adjustment. Having served 30 years in the UK, and being actively involved in the hiring process for our city PD one thing I have learned is US cops police by force, UK cops police by consent. That is a massive difference, and it takes a lot of time to understand the differences in the way the job is done, and the way the public react to you.

I go on ride alongs with our guys, and when I first did them it was a real eye opener.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I doubt very many UK police officers could do the job here. They would need to trained from scratch and need a huge mindset adjustment. Having served 30 years in the UK, and being actively involved in the hiring process for our city PD one thing I have learned is US cops police by force, UK cops police by consent. That is a massive difference, and it takes a lot of time to understand the differences in the way the job is done, and the way the public react to you.

I go on ride alongs with our guys, and when I first did them it was a real eye opener.
It seems that way.

My neighbour was telling me she went on a ride along with her cousin who is police officer, the gun was out every 5 minutes apparently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.