Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK police certificate validity and travel to the US whilst K process is underway.

UK police certificate validity and travel to the US whilst K process is underway.

Old Mar 29th 2001, 3:52 pm
British in Wisconsin

Jememennie is an unknown quantity at this point

I just thought I'd share this correspondence from the UK Embassy:

I'd heard online that if you leave the country once your police certificate has been issued, then the certificate becomes invalid and you need to apply for a new one. However I wrote the following letter to the Embassy on March 16th:

"Dear Sir/Madam,

My application for a K-1 fiancée visa is underway; my fiancé and I have received our Notice of Action from the Nebraska Service Centre. I have applied for and received my police certificate in preparation for my interview. I am travelling to the U.S.A. on vacation later this month. Please can you inform me if this vacation will invalidate my police certificate? I have heard several conflicting opinions on this issue, in particular that I will have to apply for a new police certificate if I leave the country. I would appreciate the Embassy’s official word on the matter.

Thank you for putting my mind at rest. I enclose a SAE."

20th of March I received this reply:

"With the compliments of the American Embassy.

Travel to the United States will not invalidate your U.K police certificate.

If you travel to the United States, you should be prepared to answer immigration officers' questions regarding your travel. Specifically, you should be able to show that you still have strong ties to the U.K. such as employment, and that you intend to return after a short visit.

I note that you have submitted all required forms for processing your visa. When the Embassy receives your approved petition file from the Immigration and Naturalization Service, you will be scheduled for an interview.

I hope this information is responsive to your inquiry."

Also thought I'd add my experience of getting through immigration - I was armed with proof of my ties to the UK -letter from my university tutor (I'll put the wording of this up on our website when I have more time) and a bunch of documents showing financial ties - tuition bills and student loan details and accomodation fees. But I didn't need to use them. The officer just asked business or pleasure, how long I inteded to stay and what I do it in the UK to which I just answered 'student'.

It's interesting to see how NSC has speeded up. There are people approved whose Notice of Action is dated after us and so we'll have to be checking the phone line.

take care - Jennie
Old Mar 30th 2001, 1:52 am
billypilgrim

This is good news, and thanks for posting it. Shawn and I were wondering about this.
God willing, he'll be flying over here soon for a last visit before we start K-1
proceedings. We'll be dealing with Vermont, which is fast. It is conceivable that
getting a second police certificate would have taken longer than Vermont's processing
of the I-129F, since UK police certificates currently take 6 weeks to process.

Thanks for the info, Beth

----------
the following letter to
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >