UK phones in US

Wikiposts

UK phones in US

Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Mainy1129 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK phones in US

Originally Posted by LinkTen
If you're actually with EE (and not Orange or T-Mobile)

EE offer 'roaming' for £5 extra per month. Switching to or adding roaming to your plan allows unlimited calls and texts in the US to other US numbers, UK and all of Europe. You can remove items from your account so the £5 is covered, resulting in the roaming costing you nothing (i.e. dropping from 8gb data to 5gb).

Plan details are here.

If you're with Orange or T-Mobile (who just use the EE logo)

You're SOL.
So do you think we could keep the phones then and just pay the extra roaming until the contracts expire?? seems cheaper than US Contracts, or am I being niave.

I would need to keep a UK bank account to pay this though wouldnt I, is this allowed once you move over to US?

Thanks

C
Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mainy1129
So do you think we could keep the phones then and just pay the extra roaming until the contracts expire?? seems cheaper than US Contracts, or am I being niave.

I would need to keep a UK bank account to pay this though wouldnt I, is this allowed once you move over to US?

Thanks

C
Keep at least one UK bank and credit card. They are very useful for trips back to the UK, if you move back to the UK etc. It is almost impossible to open a UK bank account when you are not a UK resident. I have lived here for 17 years and still have by UK bank account and CC.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

LinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mainy1129

Thanks

C
Did you actually take the contract out with EE, and not Orange/T-Mobile? If so, you'll only be a few months into your contract. I'd personally sell the devices and pay off the contracts.

If you want to just add roaming, they seems like a good plan as well, particularly if you'll be calling England a lot (or in the EU). The only downside to this is you won't have a US number, and therefore it may cost others in the US more to call/text you.

You can pay your mobile online at the EE website with any debit/credit card.

Last edited by LinkTen; Jan 30th 2013 at 3:00 am.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 6:50 am
Just Joined

Butterlilly is an unknown quantity at this point

Great information, thanks for posting!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:59 am
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice

I'm still in contract on t mobile! Any idea if I can keep paying off my uk contract and just get a pay as you go tmobile sim once in the us. Would that work?
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

LinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really nice

Originally Posted by Zez
I'm still in contract on t mobile! Any idea if I can keep paying off my uk contract and just get a pay as you go tmobile sim once in the us. Would that work?
I'd pay to get your phone unlocked just to ensure that you can use a US sim card in the phone. Maybe give Vodafone a call and ask whether you can use a US Vodafone sim in your UK Vodafone phone.