Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK phone with US Sim? Moving to NYC

UK phone with US Sim? Moving to NYC

Old Jun 16th 2013, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Jonpolo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK phone with US Sim? Moving to NYC

We are moving to NY in July and whilst I've resigned myself to paying the remaining £36 per month to O2 for 10 months I wondered if I would be able to take the phone, a Samsung Galaxy SIII, with me to use in NY with either a local pay-as-you-go Sim or sim-only contract.

Does anyone have experience with this phone in doing that or even getting a sim-only contract as it seems silly to see the phone go to waste.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 16th 2013, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK phone with US Sim? Moving to NYC

Originally Posted by Jonpolo
We are moving to NY in July and whilst I've resigned myself to paying the remaining £36 per month to O2 for 10 months I wondered if I would be able to take the phone, a Samsung Galaxy SIII, with me to use in NY with either a local pay-as-you-go Sim or sim-only contract.

Does anyone have experience with this phone in doing that or even getting a sim-only contract as it seems silly to see the phone go to waste.

Thanks in advance!
Get the thing "unlocked", either by a special website code, or by asking O2, then look at buying a card from the folks I used "Gored pocket".
Old Jun 16th 2013, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

g.g.j is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure you cancel bolt on's first like data.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold

There's a similar thread about this here (http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799904)

but the key points are:

1. Call O2 and ask them to unlock your phone (they'll ask for your IMEI number which can be found in the settings menu). It usually takes less than a week.
2. Take out the SIM, when you move to the U.S. you can go to T-Mobile or AT&T, which both offer SIM only monthly, annual and pay as you go plans, you can see the details on their website.

And the third point, which is less tangible, but I did this and found no cost savings at all by supplying my own phone. You'd save a ton of money by unlocking your SIII, selling it on ebay and then joining Sprint or Virgin Mobile when you move here, which are cheaper carriers. If your heart's set on keeping your phone though, T-Mobile is usually cheaper than AT&T.

Also, first get a pay as you go SIM, make sure you get good data speeds and reception where you are, then sign up for either a monthly or annual contract, it'll cost an extra $10-20 but save a lot of hassle in the long run.

EDIT: And also, have you spoken to O2? The fact that you're moving to a place with no reception should allow you to get out of your contract, I think. I know when I moved abroad I cancelled my land line contract and didn't have to pay the remainder of the contract.

Last edited by agentred; Jun 17th 2013 at 1:17 am.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

Jonpolo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies I don't think I can blag that I am moving our of an area with reception but if anyone has something else I can use to exit the contract then please let me know! I'll likely unlock and sell like you said.

Thanks
Old Jun 18th 2013, 3:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonpolo
Thanks for the replies I don't think I can blag that I am moving our of an area with reception but if anyone has something else I can use to exit the contract then please let me know! I'll likely unlock and sell like you said.

Thanks
You are though aren't you. So got nothing to lose by trying it.