Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Pharmacists working in US.

UK Pharmacists working in US.

Old Feb 10th 2012, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

mace1uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Pharmacists working in US.

Hi - Looking for any UK registered pharmacists who have take FPGEC to work in USA. Wondering around the specifics of completing the FPGEC forms and what documentation you need to submit. Do you need transcripts of A-Levels?
Do you need anything from the GPhC?

Thanks
Mark
Old Feb 11th 2012, 12:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Pharmacists working in US.

No idea, but look up what the state requirements are at a guess because it'll probably be different depending on the state.

Welcome to BE btw and nice intro
Old Feb 11th 2012, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mace1uk View Post
Looking for any UK registered pharmacists who have take FPGEC to work in USA.
You'll likely need a PharmD before you can be licened in the US.

Ian
Old Feb 15th 2012, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

My wife was a pharmacist in the UK and re-qualified here. It does depend on what state you are trying to register but in general you need to pass the FPGEE equivalency exam FPGEE - http://www.nabp.net/programs/examination/fpgee/

prove you can speak and read English http://www.ets.org/toefl

and then you will need to do intern hours and pass state boards etc.

My wife was able to work as a pharmacy tech while she did all this on the basis of her UK pharmacy credentials.

As far as proving credentials are concerned, yes she did need to supply transcripts and information from GphC - but the FPGEC will tell you how they want those submitted to them - the wanted the credentials provided sealed envelopes from the issuing body for example.

Please feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Last edited by cpe111; Feb 15th 2012 at 11:10 am.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

mace1uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks CPE 111.
Did your wife also need to submit proof of A levels, or just pharmacy degree and proof of registration?

Mark
Old Feb 18th 2012, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mace1uk View Post
Thanks CPE 111.
Did your wife also need to submit proof of A levels, or just pharmacy degree and proof of registration?

Mark

Just university transcript, degree certificate and proof of registration - you also need a statement of good conduct from the PSoc. We think that was all.

The university also had to state that my wife had been accepted onto the course as a result of her A level studies. The A levels actually counted as one year towards the x # of years required in the qualifying degree program.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Mithin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cpe111 View Post
My wife was a pharmacist in the UK and re-qualified here. It does depend on what state you are trying to register but in general you need to pass the FPGEE equivalency exam FPGEE - http://www.nabp.net/programs/examination/fpgee/

prove you can speak and read English http://www.ets.org/toefl

and then you will need to do intern hours and pass state boards etc.

My wife was able to work as a pharmacy tech while she did all this on the basis of her UK pharmacy credentials.

As far as proving credentials are concerned, yes she did need to supply transcripts and information from GphC - but the FPGEC will tell you how they want those submitted to them - the wanted the credentials provided sealed envelopes from the issuing body for example.

Please feel free to PM if you have any questions.
Thanks for the information. I am also trying to apply to USA. Being a newly qualified pharmacist, I am still doubtful whether our 4 years degree would be accepted in U.S.A. Also do you know any recommended books or other sources to prepare for FPGEE?
Old Sep 25th 2012, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

It might get accepted but only in the sense that it can be used as a basis for requalifications. You pretty much cannot work as a doctor, nurse or pharmacist in the US without getting the local certifications.

Also, if you don't already have the right to work and live in the US, I'd expect you to run into visa problems due to the lack of accepted qualifications.