British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK perspectve 2005 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-perspectve-2005-a-315353/)

BritGuyTN Jul 21st 2005 11:42 pm

UK perspectve 2005

i'm over in the Uk for a few weeks on business right now and in the two years since i left society has changed

violece seems to be the norm, where i used to life in st albans, herts, now has armoured police vans patrolling on fri/sat nights nights \with surveilance cameras looking out for trouble, and duting the day the high street is full of scum looking for aggro.

i live in a 'transitional' neighbourhood in nashville which i am sure has much higher crime and more offences against the individual, but going back to my home town had been an eye-opener

i'm feeling very intolerant right now, after a friend of mine was shot dead in a motiveless killing recently in the us, another friend in the uk beaten up in a 'grown-up' happy slapping attack, separation from my wife, and now this second bomb attack by fundo muslims, i'm extremely pissed off

suffice to say, anyone on my flight my flight wearing a towel on their head carrying a ruck-sack may be liable to a chav-style 'happy-slapping'

sibsie Jul 21st 2005 11:52 pm

Re: UK perspectve 2005

So are you looking forward to coming back to the US?

I went back for my first trip in three years at Easter. The only difference I saw was that everyone was talking like they'd walked off the set of Easties and this was in nicey nice Cobham and Weybridge. :confused:

garfro Jul 21st 2005 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
i'm over in the Uk for a few weeks on business right now and in the two years since i left society has changed

violece seems to be the norm, where i used to life in st albans, herts, now has armoured police vans patrolling on fri/sat nights nights \with surveilance cameras looking out for trouble, and duting the day the high street is full of scum looking for aggro.

i live in a 'transitional' neighbourhood in nashville which i am sure has much higher crime and more offences against the individual, but going back to my home town had been an eye-opener

i'm feeling very intolerant right now, after a friend of mine was shot dead in a motiveless killing recently in the us, another friend in the uk beaten up in a 'grown-up' happy slapping attack, separation from my wife, and now this second bomb attack by fundo muslims, i'm extremely pissed off

suffice to say, anyone on my flight my flight wearing a towel on their head carrying a ruck-sack may be liable to a chav-style 'happy-slapping'

I know what you mean.......im not easily rattled, i have lived in NY and hollywood and spent many a late night in large US cities,but....... when i was home last october i parked in the local high st (camberley,surrey) and thought i would get some cash from the ATM and have 1 beer, the roving gangs of little foul mouthed drunken yobos set off some kind of alert in me and told me to get back in my car,,,,so i did!! in my home town of all places.
that being said i drove around the block to a parallel street and went into a lovely pub that felt the same as i left it 20 years ago..Funny huh!!
I am working on moving to Northern ireland and most people think that Im crazy but having made several trips over to recce the place I can tell ya the people are lovely.....plus i have family there.
G

garfro Jul 21st 2005 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by sibsie
So are you looking forward to coming back to the US?

I went back for my first trip in three years at Easter. The only difference I saw was that everyone was talking like they'd walked off the set of Easties and this was in nicey nice Cobham and Weybridge. :confused:

Not too far from camberley, my brother lives right near that Tescos at Brooklands

Wintersong Jul 22nd 2005 12:02 am

... another friend in the uk beaten up in a 'grown-up' happy slapping attack...

...suffice to say, anyone on my flight my flight wearing a towel on their head carrying a ruck-sack may be liable to a chav-style 'happy-slapping'...

I see.

AmeriBrit Jul 22nd 2005 12:08 am

Jesus, how ignorant are you? You do realize that the people that you just so beautifully described are Sikh's and not Muslim, right? It's stupid tw*ts like you that cause more trouble than you prevent. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem!

garfro Jul 22nd 2005 12:13 am

Please go easy on him......looks like he is having some personal issues
he seems like a good guy we all have bad days

ImHere Jul 22nd 2005 12:27 am

What do we expect when we here news that a teenage boy has won his case to appeal curfew orders. Apparently judges ruled its not legal for police to impose curfew orders on anti-social yobs anymore so the little dears can now roam the streets at will.

Happy slaps? If some little twat fancied his chances 'happy slapping' me I wouldnt be calling the police.

Lion in Winter Jul 22nd 2005 12:52 am

This isn't going to turn into yet another Daily Telegraph, port, country's going to the dogs thread is it?

A thought though, for anyone who's been away a while. Your perspective is changed forever. You are not the same person who left.

AmerLisa Jul 22nd 2005 12:57 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter

A thought though, for anyone who's been away a while. Your perspective is changed forever. You are not the same person who left.

Amen to that! ;)

Lion in Winter Jul 22nd 2005 1:00 am

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Amen to that! ;)

Yup. You can't go back, only forward. You may go back to that country, but that's not the same thing.

ImHere Jul 22nd 2005 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Yup. You can't go back, only forward. You may go back to that country, but that's not the same thing.

And tonights second award for "Stating the bleeding obvious" goes too...

Lion in Winter Jul 22nd 2005 1:05 am

Originally Posted by ImHere
And tonights second award for "Stating the bleeding obvious" goes too...

Shut up and start reading a decent newspaper. :D

sibsie Jul 22nd 2005 1:12 am

Originally Posted by garfro
Not too far from camberley, my brother lives right near that Tescos at Brooklands

I tried to go there for the M&S but I'd forgotton that everything shuts at Easter.

My parents used to live in Hampton, as did I, but they're now behind bars in St George's Hill.

Isn't there some sort of Military place round Camberly? I seem to remember that there was a fair bit of trouble in the evenings.

gruffbrown Jul 22nd 2005 1:16 am

Originally Posted by sibsie
I tried to go there for the M&S but I'd forgotton that everything shuts at Easter.

My parents used to live in Hampton, as did I, but they're now behind bars in St George's Hill.

Isn't there some sort of Military place round Camberly? I seem to remember that there was a fair bit of trouble in the evenings.

The Staff College