Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Pension from US

UK Pension from US

Old Nov 16th 2017, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

branmin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Pension from US

Think I saw this mentioned before by a poster, perhaps 3 months ago now and just clarifying it before I take further action.

Dual Citizen and already receiving SS here in the US. Qualify also for a pension from the UK. I may have got this wrong, but I seem to recall someone on this board speaking to the pension people over the phone answering all the questions as opposed to filling in the forms and said it went well and fairly straightforward and started to receive their UK pension soon after. Mind you, they could have being doing this from the UK as opposed to the US, I don't recall.

I did a few months ago call direct to the Pension office in the UK and someone there seemed to imply that this was indeed possible and I simply had to arrange a phone appointment..

Any comments appreciated.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Floridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Pension from US

I would also be very interested to know if there's a specific department number to call who can answer my similar question. I wrote a letter, probably close on 3 months ago to a pension office in Wolverhampton and as yet no reply. I've also tried and failed with their website. I'm now almost in my mid 60s and hopefully qualify for a small pension from both countries.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Here are the contact details. They are generally very helpful in handling questions.

https://www.gov.uk/international-pension-centre
Old Nov 16th 2017, 2:28 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by branmin View Post
Think I saw this mentioned before by a poster, perhaps 3 months ago now and just clarifying it before I take further action.

Dual Citizen and already receiving SS here in the US. Qualify also for a pension from the UK. I may have got this wrong, but I seem to recall someone on this board speaking to the pension people over the phone answering all the questions as opposed to filling in the forms and said it went well and fairly straightforward and started to receive their UK pension soon after. Mind you, they could have being doing this from the UK as opposed to the US, I don't recall.

I did a few months ago call direct to the Pension office in the UK and someone there seemed to imply that this was indeed possible and I simply had to arrange a phone appointment..

Any comments appreciated.
You are going to have to complete the forms anyway, so why not just fill in the paperwork, submit it, and then they will let you know how much of a pension you are eligible for; after that they can initiate it for you promptly. They may not respond to letters, but in my experience they do respond to their official forms. Unlike you, I didn't know if I would be eligible, but I followed the course outlined above and soon started receiving a minimal pension.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 5:16 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic View Post
Here are the contact details. They are generally very helpful in handling questions.

https://www.gov.uk/international-pension-centre
Thanks for that link. I am trying it.

My experience with filling in their forms and sending them off is that you may as well just shred them and save yourself the postage. Let’s hope they are as helpful as you describe.