Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK pension transfer to USA

UK pension transfer to USA

Old Oct 30th 2018, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK pension transfer to USA

Originally Posted by nearpost1

This is important to me as I am holding a large amount of sterling at Transferwise. At the time I opened the
account I recall learning that my money is not safeguarded quite as safely as an fdic insured U.S. bank acct or it’s u.k equivalent. However I decided I can sleep soundly because the systems/insurances etc. that do safeguard my money are almost as secure.

would anyone care to handicap the safety of money in Transferwise for me.
Fdic 100% safe
u.k. High st bank 100% safe
Transferwise. 95%? 85%?

thanks

Should add that I understand that nothing is guaranteed in our world, I’m just looking for a sense of how secure folks on here feel about Transferwise.

You're suggesting that it may only be 95% or 85% safe yet you're thinking of keeping a large amount of money there long-term? Doesn't sound wise.

I have no idea what the actual risk is.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

nearpost1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vespucci
You're suggesting that it may only be 95% or 85% safe yet you're thinking of keeping a large amount of money there long-term? Doesn't sound wise.

I have no idea what the actual risk is.
I put those numbers out there as a sort of guide for folks to express their confidence or lack thereof in Transferwise. Myself, I think I’m around 99% confident in them. When Mid Atlantic suggested I look further into their T and C’s I grew concerned.

I have been googling about this evening, and feel even more confident about them than I did before. FCA etc.

Just looking to learn is all.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 5:47 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
If Transferwise went bust and they had no assets, unless they have clients money in a “client account” my belief is you would lose all your money. Without searching their web site for the info my recollection is they don’t put the money in a client account.

How financially secure they are I have no idea.

Apologies Lansbury, can you reword that for me as I don’t understand

Thanks
Solicitors, and I know some of the currency brokers, place their clients money in a Client Account. That is a separate account from their business account and the money in such an account doesn't belong to the company. So in the event the company went bankrupt the Client Account is not an asset of the company, and the funds in it belong to the clients and can be returned to them.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
Solicitors, and I know some of the currency brokers, place their clients money in a Client Account. That is a separate account from their business account and the money in such an account doesn't belong to the company. So in the event the company went bankrupt the Client Account is not an asset of the company, and the funds in it belong to the clients and can be returned to them.
well I have a borderless account. With that information can you render an opinion on how you feel about TWise?

thanks
Old Oct 30th 2018, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Where is the boarderless account held?

There are different 'Terms and Conditions' for the US arm of Transferwise to those of the U.K. arm. Google Transferwise USA and Transferwise UK. Both have different financial regulations governed by their respective authorities.

Funds in a U.K. account , administered by the U.K. arm and under U.K. Financial Regulations (the funds are held in a Barclays account?) may require both FATCA and FBAR reporting if the account holder is a US Person.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theOAP
Where is the borderless account held?

There are different 'Terms and Conditions' for the US arm of Transferwise to those of the U.K. arm. Google Transferwise USA and Transferwise UK. Both have different financial regulations governed by their respective authorities.

Funds in a U.K. account , administered by the U.K. arm and under U.K. Financial Regulations (the funds are held in a Barclays account?) may require both FATCA and FBAR reporting if the account holder is a US Person.
I agree. This is exactly the point. Until you know where the funds are held it is impossible to determine what protection may be in place. It is concerning that it seems difficult to find the answers.

For the UK it looks like funds are held in a "client account" at Barclays: https://transferwise.com/help/articl...erless-account

For the US I have been unable to find an answer.

Last edited by MidAtlantic; Oct 30th 2018 at 1:03 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hi again. Well I live in the USA and opened my acct on line with Transferwise because I was anticipating receiving an inheritance from my Fathers solicitor back in London, where Dad lived. The money was transferred last month from Lloyd’s of London (solicitors bank acct) to Transferwise in Shoreditch London (I gave the solicitor a sort code and my borderless bank acct number with the Transferwise Shoreditch address. The funds are in U.K. pounds. I had another google yesterday about Transferwise, and it appears they are governed by FCA.

I did not realize that my money is actually in a Barclays Bank acct. Be that as it may, do you folks feel I should be confident in having funds there? FCA seems to indicate that Transferwise Shoreditch are bound to refund me if my loot gets pinched.

thanks again
Old Oct 30th 2018, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again. Well I live in the USA and opened my acct on line with Transferwise because I was anticipating receiving an inheritance from my Fathers solicitor back in London, where Dad lived. The money was transferred last month from Lloyd’s of London (solicitors bank acct) to Transferwise in Shoreditch London (I gave the solicitor a sort code and my borderless bank acct number with the Transferwise Shoreditch address. The funds are in U.K. pounds. I had another google yesterday about Transferwise, and it appears they are governed by FCA.

I did not realize that my money is actually in a Barclays Bank acct. Be that as it may, do you folks feel I should be confident in having funds there? FCA seems to indicate that Transferwise Shoreditch are bound to refund me if my loot gets pinched.

thanks again
The FCA will compensate up to £85,000 per account so if you are happy that Transferwise Shoreditch is covered by the FCA scheme then you should feel pretty confident about it.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/prud...nsation-scheme

Amounts of compensation: deposits

Deposits held in banks, building societies and credit unions (including in Northern Ireland) that are authorised by the PRA are protected up to £85,000. This includes, for example, eligible deposits in current accounts, savings accounts, cash ISAs (held with a deposit taker) or savings bonds.

The deposit protection limit applies to the total eligible deposits of each person, per PRA-authorised firm. So for deposits in a joint account, this means that each account holder is protected up to the deposit protection limit, i.e. the total protection adds up to two times £85,000.

A PRA-authorised firm may own several banking and building society brands. This means that anyone who has deposits in more than one account under a single brand, or multiple accounts under different brands owned by a single firm, is only protected up to a total of £85,000 across all these accounts.

There will be temporary deposit protection for up to 6 months above the £85,000 limit for certain types of deposits classified as temporary high balances, such as the proceeds from private property sales. Protection will be up to £1million in most cases.

People with eligible deposits that add up to more than the deposit protection limit may wish to take steps to keep their deposits fully protected (e.g. by splitting their deposits across different PRA-authorised firms).

Note - PRA
The Bank of England prudentially regulates and supervises financial services firms through the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA).

Last edited by durham_lad; Oct 30th 2018 at 4:51 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure it probably is not held in an individual account. If you are lucky the account may be covered up to £85k , but if that money belongs to 100,000 people, you will not get much back. I know this happened in 2008 when money market accounts held by insurance companies went under.

This article has a pretty comprehensive review of Transferwise. https://www.neverendingvoyage.com/tr...erless-review/

"However, Transferwise isn’t as secure as a normal bank because your money is not guaranteed by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). If the bank where Transferwise stores your money (i.e. Barclays in the UK) were to become insolvent then you aren’t guaranteed the return of your funds (usually you’d get up to £85,000 back)."
Old Oct 30th 2018, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

So I found this, text is at the bottom. It makes clearer to me what Lansbury said earlier. If Barclays went bust I’m out of luck. May I infer from this though that if Transferwise went bust I’m insured up to £85,000? That last part isn’t exactly spelled out.

FWIW I’m happy to live with the possibility that Barclays might become insolvent.

As I type this I realize I’ve drifted away from my real concern, which is what happens if the account is hacked and my funds are stolen?

Is my money covered by a financial protection scheme?

TransferWise is an authorised Electronic Money Institution regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) in the UK.

We're required by law to protect your money by storing it in a low-risk financial institution (in Europe this is in our UK Barclays bank accounts).

That means that, in the unlikely event that TransferWise became insolvent, your money would be unaffected and should be refunded to you in full.

If our official Banking Institution (in Europe this would mean Barclays), became insolvent, your return of funds would not be guaranteed as the account is not guaranteed by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS).

We take the safety and security of your money very seriously. We fulfil rigorous regulatory standards in UK, Europe, US, and every country we operate in. As such, millions of customers trust TransferWise with their money, we currently move over £1 billion around the world every single month.”
Old Oct 30th 2018, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Having listened to MoneyBox recently, you funds are not necessarily protected against fraud under current UK banking regulations. There have been many stories where people have lost their life savings and not been protected. To be fair, there is only so much you can do to protect your money.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrken30
Having listened to MoneyBox recently, you funds are not necessarily protected against fraud under current UK banking regulations. There have been many stories where people have lost their life savings and not been protected. To be fair, there is only so much you can do to protect your money.

okay mrken. Just to put what you have written in perspective, does Moneybox draw any distinction between the fraud occurring at Transferwise (Barclays), and the fraud occurring at a High St bank. That High St. bank could be Barclays again, or Lloyd’s etc.

Old Oct 30th 2018, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

okay mrken. Just to put what you have written in perspective, does Moneybox draw any distinction between the fraud occurring at Transferwise (Barclays), and the fraud occurring at a High St bank. That High St. bank could be Barclays again, or Lloyd’s etc.

From memory the banks were Santander and TSB, I could be wrong. But the story involved High Street banks not online banks. Thought the fraud was committed online.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrken30
From memory the banks were Santander and TSB, I could be wrong. But the story involved High Street banks not online banks. Thought the fraud was committed online.
thanks, so no difference between online fraud at Transferwise and online fraud at TSB or Santander.

i just got off the phone with TWise, agent needs to research and get back to me. She stated they will make me whole in the event of a hack/fraud, but could not explain how TWise would achieve that as they are not insured against such an event.

I will update on here when I get something in writing from TWise.

The reason I am letting the funds sit there at TWise is that I was hoping the GBP might improve between now and April next year, before converting to usd.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 6:32 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic

For the UK it looks like funds are held in a "client account" at Barclays: https://transferwise.com/help/articl...erless-account
Last time I looked, which was just after they started the borderless account, that page wasn't there. It reads as if the money is in a Client Account but this bit " (in Europe this is in our UK Barclays bank accounts)" makes me wonder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.