British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK Pension tax help needed (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-pension-tax-help-needed-923981/)

Katyonice Apr 8th 2019 10:07 pm

UK Pension tax help needed

Hi folks .. I'm the USC and my husband is UKC with green card. This will our first US tax filing year with his getting his UK State Pension. We used TurboTax Deluxe to do our taxes and can figure out how to get his pension income in using a substitute 1099r (form 4852) but it insists on a Federal ID number for the source. Is this a TurboTax issue or is there something I am missing. When I look at the Form 4852 it has a block for it but says "if known"
how does everyone else do this? Help please!

Hotscot Apr 8th 2019 10:23 pm

Re: UK Pension tax help needed

Originally Posted by Katyonice (Post 12667793)
Hi folks .. I'm the USC and my husband is UKC with green card. This will our first US tax filing year with his getting his UK State Pension. We used TurboTax Deluxe to do our taxes and can figure out how to get his pension income in using a substitute 1099r (form 4852) but it insists on a Federal ID number for the source. Is this a TurboTax issue or is there something I am missing. When I look at the Form 4852 it has a block for it but says "if known"

Katy..you seem to have the right approach and/or make sure that line 16 on the 1040 gets populated. But you're saying that T.T. won't let you move on without the ID number? It's possible you can override that in Forms Mode.
As long as it gets reported somewhere as income I'm sure it's ok. I've put things in the wrong places tons of times.

Nutmegger Apr 8th 2019 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Katyonice (Post 12667793)

I recall it going on line 21, “other income,” with the description “UK pension.” No need to mess around with a substitute 1099.

Hotscot Apr 8th 2019 11:01 pm

Good point. Nutmegger. That can work too.

celticgrid Apr 9th 2019 12:12 am

I same across this. If you use the Turbotax help search....I think you can just put a string of 1s in for the reference.

Or 9s.

Or one of those pesky digits.

Use the Turbotax help. Lots of people asking the same question.

I did it that way. Return happily accepted by the powers-that-be!

Katyonice Apr 9th 2019 12:16 am

Tried the 9s, the 1s, and 0s, couldn't get it to work with any of them.

celticgrid Apr 9th 2019 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Katyonice (Post 12667834)
Tried the 9s, the 1s, and 0s, couldn't get it to work with any of them.

All I can tell you is that I used TT Deluxe too and hit the same problem and went online and it said...11-1111111

Just checked on the copy I keep in my records...that was it. Field 6 on 4852.

Definitely.

Hotscot Apr 9th 2019 12:19 am

Have you tried Form Mode yet?
Or Line 21?

celticgrid Apr 9th 2019 12:26 am

Here you go...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/42...stitute-1099-r

Explains about the 11-1111111 but also explains you can just do line 21 and tells you how to do it in TT.

Katyonice Apr 9th 2019 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12667804)

I recall it going on line 21, “other income,” with the description “UK pension.” No need to mess around with a substitute 1099.

I will look again .. is that putting it in manually or will TT offer that line for me to put it in on?

Nutmegger Apr 9th 2019 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Katyonice (Post 12667867)

I will look again .. is that putting it in manually or will TT offer that line for me to put it in on?

It is a part of the form — other income, line 21. You can then type in what the “other “ is.

Katyonice Apr 9th 2019 2:27 am

Originally Posted by celticgrid (Post 12667838)
Here you go...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/42...stitute-1099-r

Explains about the 11-1111111 but also explains you can just do line 21 and tells you how to do it in TT.

is the info in the link still valid for 2018 tax forms as it was a tear ago?
I'm getting a stress headache and I HATE TAXES!😖

Hotscot Apr 9th 2019 2:28 am

Try Form Mode....

lansbury Apr 9th 2019 5:33 am

I use the method in post #3, seems my return has been accepted OK.

Peter124 Apr 9th 2019 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12667904)
I use the method in post #3, seems my return has been accepted OK.

Me too. You need to switch to forms mode.