Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK pension benefits .. initial take

UK pension benefits .. initial take

Old Jan 9th 2023, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Captain Haddock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK pension benefits .. initial take

I am a British Citizen and have been resident in the USA since 1992.

From the age of 16 to 32 I worked and paid taxes in the UK (with a stint off at University).

Am I entitled to any partial UK pension for the time I was contributing National Insurance? .. and if so, where can I find out more information?
Old Jan 9th 2023, 3:17 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK pension benefits .. initial take

Originally Posted by Captain Haddock
I am a British Citizen and have been resident in the USA since 1992.

From the age of 16 to 32 I worked and paid taxes in the UK (with a stint off at University).

Am I entitled to any partial UK pension for the time I was contributing National Insurance? .. and if so, where can I find out more information?
login to the www.gov.uk site and it will tell you what Pension you have accrued.
Old Jan 9th 2023, 3:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

And to add to the above, have a look at making voluntary contributions as well - a great return on investment (lots of info across various threads on the forum if you do a search). https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions

HTH and welcome to BE.
Old Jan 9th 2023, 3:42 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

You will receive a partial pension so long as you have at least 10 years of NI contributions which you should have from what you have said. As stated look into paying voluntary NI contributions to increase this amount. An excellent return on investment as each year will add about £5.29 per week to your pension for the rest of your life for a one time a cost of about £163.18 if you qualify for Class 2, and £824.20 if you only qualify for Class 3. Many of us qualify for Class 2 but even at Class 3 rates the return on investment if very good so long as you collect for about 3 years or more.

Everyone can back fill the prior 6 years and contribute going forward up until they reach the state pension age.

Up until 5 April 2023 if you are a man born after 5 April 1951 or a woman born after 5 April 1953 then you have the ability to back fill the 10 years years 2006/7 to 2015/16, however it is probably too late to start that ball rolling and get the process complete before the deadline as DWP are notoriously slow at processing anything right now. But it might be worth a try if you are interested. If your are I would call them pronto and see what they can do for you..
Old Jan 9th 2023, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

USADragon is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just completed this process today! For a total cost of 2,625 GBP each, ($3,224), we have increased our weekly pension by about 80 GBP each per week! They do have long wait times when you call, but both the pension service and HMRC have been extremely helpful. It took a total of 6 months from when we first mailed the form CF83. A big thank you to everyone who posted about this! There's nowhere else you can buy a lifetime annuity of $5K for a one off payment of $3K.
Old Jan 9th 2023, 4:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
.... Up until 5 April 2023 if you are a man born after 5 April 1951 or a woman born after 5 April 1953 then you have the ability to back fill the 10 years years 2006/7 to 2015/16, however it is probably too late to start that ball rolling and get the process complete before the deadline as DWP are notoriously slow at processing anything right now. But it might be worth a try if you are interested. If your are I would call them pronto and see what they can do for you..
Or at very least, per your advice to me yesterday, mail them a cheque(s) with instructions to apply it to years 2006/07-2015/16, as the worst that could happen is that the payment is returned to you. If you aim for an over-payment the balance will be returned.