Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK passports for 3 kids - questions about courier fees

UK passports for 3 kids - questions about courier fees

Old Jul 29th 2013, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Susan H is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK passports for 3 kids - questions about courier fees

Hi - I am a dual citizen (UK/USA) who has lived in the USA for 20+ years and finally getting around to obtaining UK passports for my 3 kids. I will be in DC next week and wonder if anyone has ever tried to drop the application off at the Embassy versus sending it by courier/USPS? Also, since I am applying for all 3 kids at the same time, can I just pay the $33 courier fee once or do I need to pay it x3 (the fee for return of documents)? Just wondering - I can do the whole thing by USPS but thought I would try to save a few dollars at both ends (delivery to embassy and return to me). Thanks, Susan
Old Jul 31st 2013, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK passports for 3 kids - questions about courier fees

I have two kids' passports to send off and am now wondering the same thing about the courier fees.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

It used to say that if you were applying for multiple the fee would cover them all. Now it specifically states it's per application so 3 applications would be $99 in courier fees alone. That was a big reason why I did my stuff in the UK and avoided the embassy route. I doubt you could drop it off, they seem to be doing next to no public interaction now.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like you just authorize them to take the money off you credit card as required, now that I'm looking at it more carefully.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

Susan H is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your responses. I have another question. My UK passport has expired (I travel on my USA passport). Can I still use it for the C2 form, which asks for a copy of the UK parent's passport as part of the supporting documentation. I don't want to renew my UK passport because it's $244 and I never use it. I know I sound like a penny-pincher but this is adding up to a lot of money for the 3 passports, plus mine.
Susan
Old Jul 31st 2013, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Susan H
Thanks for your responses. I have another question. My UK passport has expired (I travel on my USA passport). Can I still use it for the C2 form, which asks for a copy of the UK parent's passport as part of the supporting documentation. I don't want to renew my UK passport because it's $244 and I never use it. I know I sound like a penny-pincher but this is adding up to a lot of money for the 3 passports, plus mine.
Susan
I know! But I would worry a bit about letting it lapse.

Looking at the form, it only seems to ask about date of issue for the parent's passport, not whether it's expired. That's just my reading of it though.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

they seem to be doing next to no public interaction now.
you can say that again.
I
posted a new thread about them not willing to answer 2 simple questions about C2 but spending more time explaining about the phone and online chat charges if I needed information!!!
Old Aug 4th 2013, 12:38 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure they've closed the counter service a while ago. The office itself will be closing for good in a few months. The FCO has been gradually washing its hands of the business of passport issuing for a number of years now.

As for your expired passport, yes, you can use its details for your child's application. They'll want the details of the last British passport you held, valid or not.