Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Passport timeline

UK Passport timeline

Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:29 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Passport timeline

Originally Posted by The Undertaker
Sent renewal application: 01st April
Received UK Embassy-DC: 02nd April
Fees taken from bank : 10th April
Passport shipped from UK: 22nd April
Passport received NYC : 23rd April

*I did not receive any email advising me of it's shipment.
*The UKPA did not return my old (expired 11/2012) passport that was submitted.
*Although it was obviously me in my new passport photo's, I've added a couple of pounds weight in 11 years, so I took the precaution of having my photograph endorsed by someone. I think this is wise, especially if your application is time-sensitive. I used another EU expat who is an academic, so they couldn't use any excuse to delay the issue.

Thanks to everyone who has posted here, I found it very helpful. Good luck to all those currently applying.
Your old passport will be returned to you shortly.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

undertaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Your old passport will be returned to you shortly.
Thanks. Coincidentally, one hour after the new passport was signed for I received a DHL notification informing me of a shipment from the British Embassy in DC. The old passport was indeed returned to me today.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

jennamo is an unknown quantity at this point

I wanted to add a recent addition to the timeline since this thread was useful to me when waiting for my son's passport.

Type: 1st child's passport
Paperwork received at DC embassy: 15th May
Notified that bank had denied payment transaction: 20th May
After call to bank and e mail to embassy, payment was pending from account: 21st May
Supporting docs received: 4th June
Passport received: 5th June
I didn't receive any notification from DHL before I received the stuff.

I hope this is useful for someone!
Old Jun 7th 2013, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody has just started another thread TODAY ("weeding out...) to which one commenter said that the Washington Consulate was closing this autumn! Anybody on this present thread know if that's true?
Old Jun 7th 2013, 1:09 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Somebody has just started another thread TODAY ("weeding out...) to which one commenter said that the Washington Consulate was closing this autumn! Anybody on this present thread know if that's true?
I should clarify; the Consulate will remain, the Regional Passport Processing Centre will close. All passport applications from British residents of the Americas will be made directly to the UK from then on.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 5:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I should clarify; the Consulate will remain, the Regional Passport Processing Centre will close. All passport applications from British residents of the Americas will be made directly to the UK from then on.
I thought that was already happening?
Old Jun 7th 2013, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully that means you will be able to pay in Sterling again.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
I thought that was already happening?
Not yet; later this year.

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Hopefully that means you will be able to pay in Sterling again.
Only in Sterling; all £147.86 of it.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

I want to get my son who is 7 his passport.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passport...applying/child

On the above link, it says 'You may have to attend an interview.' What are the chances of that happening with a child? We are in Canada and I guess the interview is in Washington?
Old Jun 27th 2013, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by babsi
I want to get my son who is 7 his passport.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passport...applying/child

On the above link, it says 'You may have to attend an interview.' What are the chances of that happening with a child? We are in Canada and I guess the interview is in Washington?
Very slim to be honest for a straightforward application. It's more of a disclaimer. Interviews are rare and are usually done over the phone.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

Very slim to be honest for a straightforward application. It's more of a disclaimer. Interviews are rare and are usually done over the phone.
Great, it's a straightforward application.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Tmuggz is an unknown quantity at this point

I leave for England on the 15th of July. My passport was just stolen and I am freaking out. I have been trying to call the embassy all day but I can't get any answers. Does anyone have any ideas on my course of action. I don't live to far from Washington so I can drive there. I need to figure this out right away and I do no not know what to do. I could fill out the normal replacement passport form but fear I won't get it in time.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Tmuggz
I leave for England on the 15th of July. My passport was just stolen and I am freaking out. I have been trying to call the embassy all day but I can't get any answers. Does anyone have any ideas on my course of action. I don't live to far from Washington so I can drive there. I need to figure this out right away and I do no not know what to do. I could fill out the normal replacement passport form but fear I won't get it in time.
No way you'll get a replacement by the 15th. You'll need to make an appointment at your nearest Consulate to be issued with an Emergency Travel Document (ETD). These can be issued same day.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Tmuggz
I just recently had my car broken into and my passport was stolen. I leave for England on july 15th. I do not know what to do and can not find anyone to talk to about advice. Should i just reapply for a normal passport or try and get emergency travel documents. I do not even know who to call. I have 4 weeks to get my new passport.
https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document

I presume you mean four days if you're flying out on 15th July. If your nearest British consulate is Washington, then head there to make your application. Trying to get opening hours from the new gov.uk website just puts you into a loop. Best to call them and let them know you're coming. If that's not possible, then you can always try just turning up at 9am.

+1 202 588 6500
[email protected]
Old Jul 11th 2013, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute

Sent renewal application: 18 June
Received UK Embassy-DC: 19 June
Fees taken from bank : 24 June
Old Passport and docs shipped from DC: 3 July
Passport shipped from UK: 4 July
Both packages received in NYC : 8 July

I got a DHL tracking email from the Embassy in DC, but nothing from the UK so it was a surprise to get two different DHL envelopes!

Very impressed with the speed and it's a shame to hear that the facility in DC is going to be closed down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.