British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK Passport renewal from the USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-passport-renewal-usa-870083/)

californiachick Jan 5th 2016 12:52 am

UK Passport renewal from the USA

Hi, I am green card holder residing in the USA and need to renew my passport, i would also like to change my last name to my married name. Can i just complete the renewal part on gov.uk and send in my marriage certificate?

i also need to renew my sons, his appearance has changed considerably as his last passport was issued when he was 3 x months old and is now five, so do i need to get his pictures countersigned?

I am also curious if anybody has gone through this process recently and what the time frames were?

Thanks in advance

BritInParis Jan 5th 2016 6:56 am

Re: UK Passport renewal from the USA

Originally Posted by californiachick (Post 11828234)
Hi, I am green card holder residing in the USA and need to renew my passport, i would also like to change my last name to my married name. Can i just complete the renewal part on gov.uk and send in my marriage certificate?

See Table C.

i also need to renew my sons, his appearance has changed considerably as his last passport was issued when he was 3 x months old and is now five, so do i need to get his pictures countersigned?
Yes. Any child applicant under 11 years old will need to have their photographs countersigned.

I am also curious if anybody has gone through this process recently and what the time frames were?

Thanks in advance
Reports are generally very favourably at the moment, plan on two to four weeks turnaround time.

Pulaski Jan 6th 2016 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11828383)
..... Yes. Any child applicant under 11 years old will need to have their photographs countersigned. ....

Aren't children's passports only valid for five years anyway? :unsure:

BerkshireBugsy Jan 6th 2016 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11829549)

Yes you are correct.

More infomation can be found here:

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

Jerseygirl Jan 6th 2016 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by californiachick (Post 11828234)

Thanks in advance

I had mine renewed last month...took 6 days from overnighting it from Canada to receiving the new PP...received the old PP the following day.

Bob Jan 6th 2016 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11828383)

Yes. Any child applicant under 11 years old will need to have their photographs countersigned.

Previously though, they didn't need to have been done by a UK citizen like the forms suggest. Is that still the case?

BritInParis Jan 6th 2016 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11829549)

Yes. Why 'anyway'?

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11829797)
Previously though, they didn't need to have been done by a UK citizen like the forms suggest. Is that still the case?

They don't need to countersigned by a British citizen. It's a British or Irish passport holder if you are applying from within the UK.

If you're applying from outside the UK then it's a British or Irish passport holder for preference outside the UK but a US, Commonwealth, or non-British or non-Irish EU passport holder is also acceptable providing they include a colour photocopy of their passport.