Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK passport renewal in the USA

UK passport renewal in the USA

Old May 6th 2011, 12:24 am
Just Joined

hiyaneil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK passport renewal in the USA

I'm British, living in the USA and my UK passport has expired. I would like to renew it. I've been on http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...w-to-apply/usa in a failed attempt to figure out what to do. The website tells me what it costs, where to send it and how to pay, but my question is; What do i actually mail to them? Do i need to send my old passport/ birth certificate/ photos? I don't wanna call the $4 per minute 'helpline'. Any help is appreciated.

Neil
Old May 6th 2011, 12:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK passport renewal in the USA

There's a long running thread that's down the hall on this very subject...check it out...it answers all your questions...

But there are no trick questions to the instructions on a passport renewal.
Old May 6th 2011, 2:01 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hiyaneil View Post
I'm British, living in the USA and my UK passport has expired. I would like to renew it. I've been on http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...w-to-apply/usa in a failed attempt to figure out what to do. The website tells me what it costs, where to send it and how to pay, but my question is; What do i actually mail to them? Do i need to send my old passport/ birth certificate/ photos? I don't wanna call the $4 per minute 'helpline'. Any help is appreciated.

Neil
If you go back to the web site and download the application form and instructions, they tell you all you need to know.
Old May 6th 2011, 2:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury View Post
If you go back to the web site and download the application form and instructions, they tell you all you need to know.
Some of the instructions are misleading.

It would be recommended to read:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/UK_Passport_In_The_US
Old Jun 12th 2011, 6:46 am
Cymru Am Byth!!!

Shaolin_Dragon is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone noticed that any link to passport help on ukinusa now 404's? I was wanting to find out forms, costs and procedures etc.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shaolin_Dragon View Post
Has anyone noticed that any link to passport help on ukinusa now 404's? I was wanting to find out forms, costs and procedures etc.
Looks like they are changing the whole thing and have decided to conveniently stop half way:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...ad/passports1/

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-.../how-to-apply/

Then you scroll down to U and click on USA, ahhh!

Just watched the video and as far as I know, it sounds like cut backs have screwed over the whole thing. In 2008 I got a renewal done in Washington in 2 week over the Xmas holidays.

Ah I see, got to the end of the video and it seems the FCO are too busy dealing with drunk tourists causing trouble to do passports anymore.

Last edited by sir_eccles; Jun 12th 2011 at 5:08 pm. Reason: Got to the end of the video and needed snarky comment
Old Jun 12th 2011, 7:59 pm
Cymru Am Byth!!!

Originally Posted by sir_eccles View Post
Looks like they are changing the whole thing and have decided to conveniently stop half way:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...ad/passports1/

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-.../how-to-apply/

Then you scroll down to U and click on USA, ahhh!

Just watched the video and as far as I know, it sounds like cut backs have screwed over the whole thing. In 2008 I got a renewal done in Washington in 2 week over the Xmas holidays.

Ah I see, got to the end of the video and it seems the FCO are too busy dealing with drunk tourists causing trouble to do passports anymore.
Even when you scroll down to the U, or click the U shortcut, and click on USA, it still 404's. Someone really needs to pull their finger out and get this stuff back up online! Or...maybe..just maybe...its a big conspiracy to not let Brits back into the country?! Woah! Scary!!
Old Jun 13th 2011, 5:14 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Shaolin_Dragon View Post
Even when you scroll down to the U, or click the U shortcut, and click on USA, it still 404's. Someone really needs to pull their finger out and get this stuff back up online! Or...maybe..just maybe...its a big conspiracy to not let Brits back into the country?! Woah! Scary!!
Hey I thought of that the other day...the only flaw that my wife came up with is a conspiracy requires 2 or more people to talk about the same thing. Now her point was.... has the British govt got 2 or more people capable of that?? perhaps the end of the world is coming so thats why they have not bothered to finish the website....My meory has just kicked back in (must be the coffee).... change your name to Zola Budd(?) tell them you can run and can you have a passport please... I seem to remember that worked!!
Old Jun 13th 2011, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to disappoint the conspiracy theorists, clicking on US now leads to:

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...w-to-apply/usa

Which seems to work (for now) but doesn't explain why it costs twice as much.

Last edited by sir_eccles; Jun 13th 2011 at 5:36 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 5:45 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sir_eccles View Post
Sorry to disappoint the conspiracy theorists, clicking on US now leads to:

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...w-to-apply/usa

Which seems to work (for now) but doesn't explain why it costs twice as much.
guess Careline forgot to tell them to change the price... now 72pence+vat per minute... not as shown on the website ... the conspiriscists live on

Last edited by lyonsden1193; Jun 13th 2011 at 5:46 pm. Reason: spellin..must get glasses!!
Old Jun 13th 2011, 7:02 pm
Cymru Am Byth!!!

Oh bugger!! I had just finished creating my awesome tin foil hat...now I have to put it away Thanks Sir_Eccles, for ruining a perfectly good hat!
Old Jun 13th 2011, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Nil Carborundum Illigitimus!
Old Jun 13th 2011, 10:47 pm
Cymru Am Byth!!!

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress View Post
Nil Carborundum Illigitimus!
WINDGARDIUM LEVIOSA!!! *Swish And Flick*

Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:05 am
Just Joined

Smee862 is an unknown quantity at this point