Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Uk passport renewal times in the USA

Uk passport renewal times in the USA

Old Jul 10th 2014, 7:03 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk passport renewal times in the USA

Originally Posted by bertkloss9

Anyone else experienced this "wrong sized paper" problem?
No, I sent mine on Letter.

The only thing you have to be careful about is that your printer doesn't "scale to fit". If it does, the black corner markers don't print in the right place.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

bertkloss9 is an unknown quantity at this point

....ahhh that might be it. Thanks for the info.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

sarahusuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Coming up on 8 weeks since Durham received our paperwork and even my husband's renewal hasn't been processed yet.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Kitty70 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello guys.

Can anyone tell me the total renewal cost for a 32 page passport? I've searched and searched for the info, unfortunately cannot find it, and, if possible, include the courier/postal fee back, thanks so much. I have to send the application direct to the UK right? Cheers

Last edited by Kitty70; Jul 14th 2014 at 7:38 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 7:41 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kitty70
Hello guys.

Can anyone tell me the total renewal cost for a 32 page passport? I've searched and searched for the info, unfortunately cannot find it, and, if possible, include the courier/postal fee back, thanks so much. I have to send the application direct to the UK right? Cheers
From the US? £102.86 for an 32 page adult renewal. Make sure you're using the official site to make your application.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Jul 14th 2014, 7:57 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kitty70
Thank you. I hope I've filled in the correct form then, there's only one C1 form isn't there? Gosh I used to send my renewal applications to the British Embassy in Washington DC! Didn't know until today you have to send them back to the UK.
Form C1 is long gone. You'll need to complete your application online now.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Kitty70 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Form C1 is long gone. You'll need to complete your application online now.
Thank you so much. Found that out. Cheers
Old Jul 14th 2014, 10:15 pm
IRJ
Forum Regular

IRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really nice

I believe the new system of online passport renewal application system with a follow up couriered signed 2 pager and photos will actually improve the turn around time...eventually.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

ebryjam is an unknown quantity at this point

FYI - I sent my renewal in on 30th June (this is when they received it); as a basic Red passport regular renewal (no special forms, single adult passport) - using the online system. It was around 8 months expired. Deceleration form was printed on US letter with "fit to page" option.

Just looked at the status now and it's Dispatched (July 17th); so likely this was around 2 1/2 weeks processing. Not as bad as the news was suggesting of up to 6 weeks!

James.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 3:26 pm
IRJ
Forum Regular

IRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really nice

A4 letter size works for me.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

bertkloss9 is an unknown quantity at this point

IRJ - A4 is not the same as letter

Width Length
A4 8.26 11.69
Letter 8.50 11.00

Interesting that ebryjam's form was printer on letter with "fit to page". I used the same option and the declaration page was rejected (they sent me an A4 version to sign) as being "not scan-able" I'm wondering now if there was something else wrong. Guess I'll never know.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 6:38 pm
IRJ
Forum Regular

The most accepted standard for "letters" worldwide is A4, whether it's called a "letter" or not. While a slightly larger size is also commonly used in the USA we are dealing with inflexible UK civil servants here, so best to use A4 period with all communications with them. In the US I have always used A4 size for all my correspondence and nobody has ever complained

What's probably happening is the few pages one sends to the Passport Office (especially the signature page) are fed into a machine which is aligned and set up for A4 so that digital copies can be made and filed on servers. And a digital copy of the signature (and later photos) can be swapped into a physical passport. As soon as they realize A4 documents have been received they are returned as either the machine cannot accept other sizes, or the staff can't be bothered to re-align.

Last edited by IRJ; Jul 17th 2014 at 7:52 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 8:20 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

So, about to be happily legally divorced and returning my last name to its former state (the other name had been tacked onto mine with a hyphen). I have to renew my recently expired British passport - had been waiting for the name change thing so as not to have to do it again at vast expense - so now I'm wondering if this will no longer be a simple renewal, and what sort of document I have to supply proving my name - one of the divorce documents? And is this going to add a lot of time to the processing?
Old Jul 25th 2014, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

icecreamqueen is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Uk passport renewal times in the USA

Why does the Passport service require ALL ORIGINALs be sent to them? Do they not verify that what is sent to them is not fraudulent - like your citizenship certificate? I am afraid that they will loose them. Also why do they need my parents birth and marriage records from 60 plus years back when I am a Naturalized Certified British Citizen.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Uk passport renewal times in the USA

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Please don't send your US passports next time!

1. The British government has no right to ask for them (regardless of their request);

2. They are not yours to send to the UK Passport Agency. They are the property of the state that issued them. (Yes, I know about sending in a passport to a foreign country for a visa issuance, but that is entirely different);

3. If you do wish to conform to the British's Orwellian request simply send in a photocopy of the bio page.
Fair points. You'll be interested to know that Her Majesty's Passport Office has updated its rules for dual nationals:

"Dual nationals

You must send a colour photocopy of your non-British passport (every page including blank pages) as part of your application.

You may be asked to show your non-British passport at a later date"

Further information is available from https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Dean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.