Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Old Apr 13th 2011, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

My husband's passport arrived today, sent Feb 25th, credit card charged Mar 26th.

Old Apr 13th 2011, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

Oh well, I'm boned.

My photo's were trimmed. Does that mean that I've lost the $200+ application fee?
Old Apr 13th 2011, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pTeronaut
Oh well, I'm boned.

My photo's were trimmed. Does that mean that I've lost the $200+ application fee?
I think the trimming is OK. It's not clear why the other poster's photos were rejected.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

The photos from WalGreens came on 4*6 sheet, It would have been difficult for the cosigner to stay within one of the photos otherwise.

I guess the other thing that p'd me off with WalGreens is that they took a perfectly good picture taken by my Canon 50D DSLR, and upped the brightness & contrast of it making appear washed out.

Last edited by pTeronaut; Apr 13th 2011 at 10:34 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

UKng is just really niceUKng is just really niceUKng is just really niceUKng is just really niceUKng is just really niceUKng is just really niceUKng is just really niceUKng is just really nice

Originally Posted by pTeronaut
The photos from WalGreens came on 4*6 sheet, It would have been difficult for the cosigner to stay within one of the photos otherwise.

I guess the other thing that p'd me off with WalGreens is that they took a perfectly good picture taken by my Canon 50D DSLR, and upped the brightness & contrast of it making appear washed out.
I told the wife the photo's were rejected , she says the photo place trimmed them to the size we asked for, omfg. It seems all this regulation is so the photo's are suitable for face recognition software, guess as the photo id card got scrapped back home, the system is still being applied but via passport photo's. Big brother will be watching you!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
My husband's passport arrived today, sent Feb 25th, credit card charged Mar 26th.

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/pa...smiley-020.gif
That's good to hear. My husband's can't be too far off then....
Old Apr 14th 2011, 1:29 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mama4mia
Update for my son's passport. After contacting the careline for the 2nd time on Monday, I was told that they would be looking into its whereabouts and would be contacted within 72 hours. Well what do you know...the passport showed up this morning!!! It was shipped yesterday! I don't know if it was my constant hassling that did it but it does seem to be a bit of a coincidence that it showed up within the 72 hours when supposedly it still was not in the "system".
Anyway I felt like throwing a big party!! It took nearly 8 weeks from the mailing date (feb 16th) and over 4 weeks from the payment date (mar 10th).
Good luck to all those still waiting.
Originally Posted by Sally Redux

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/pa...smiley-020.gif
Congrats to you both
Old Apr 14th 2011, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by UKng
I told the wife the photo's were rejected , she says the photo place trimmed them to the size we asked for, omfg. It seems all this regulation is so the photo's are suitable for face recognition software, guess as the photo id card got scrapped back home, the system is still being applied but via passport photo's. Big brother will be watching you!
I'm not worried about photo ID's, I carry four in my wallet, UK DL (photo card expired), US DL, GC, & company RFID badge. In this age of ID theft, people should be clamouring for an officially recognized form of ID, not screaming for its removal.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Eilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really nice

I sent off my passport, birth cert & marriage cert via UPS, as I wanted to change my last name due to my marriage.

It was recieved at Washington DC British Embassy on Feb 28th & the payment was taken from the credit card on March 24th but I still have not recieved my new passport nor the documents I sent along with the passport that needed tha name changed.

I need them all back so I can get on with applying for Canadian Residency.

As of today, wed 13th I still haven't had anything back
Old Apr 14th 2011, 4:15 am
Just Joined

kellyg41378 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
I have noticed that some people commented on receiving a "green card" after submission to confirm receipt. I sent in my UK PP renewal and per UPS it arrived at the consulate on March 13. I have not received anything back stating it was received, nor has my CC been charged. Did you all get confirmation from the embassy that it was received?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 10:59 am
Just Joined

UKng is just really niceUKng is just really niceUKng is just really niceUKng is just really niceUKng is just really niceUKng is just really niceUKng is just really niceUKng is just really nice

Originally Posted by kellyg41378
Hi All,
I have noticed that some people commented on receiving a "green card" after submission to confirm receipt. I sent in my UK PP renewal and per UPS it arrived at the consulate on March 13. I have not received anything back stating it was received, nor has my CC been charged. Did you all get confirmation from the embassy that it was received?
The "Green Card" is a USPS return receipt. If you sent by UPS you wont hear anything, and your CC will probably be charged after 4 weeks judging by posters experience, your passports processed 2-4 weeks after that.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Ergonome is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in the same boat. Posted mine on 22 Feb and they debited the visa on 21 March. Nothing yet and that helpline number if just a waste of $!

They told me a week ago that it could be two weeks. I am less optimistic after reading other people's woes......
Old Apr 14th 2011, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

steevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nice

Originally Posted by kellyg41378
Hi All,
Correct, U-P-S will not send anything in the mail to you. U-S-P-S will, if requested.

My passport application was received on March 17 and - per Careline - processing began on April 7. I sent in a money order, but i assume if I had used a credit card then that would also have been the charge date. Hopefully there's no email about US passport photos and the wait time isn't too long.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Patriot75 is an unknown quantity at this point

My passport was just delivered by UPS this morning

Quick re-cap of the timeline associated to my renewal application:
  • March 4, 2011 - Application sent registered mail via USPS
  • March 7, 2011 - Application received and signed for at the Embassy in Washington (as shown on USPS tracking site)
  • March 21, 2011 - Green USPS receipt delivered back to my address, interestingly with a received date stamp of March 17, 2011 (10 days after it was signed for at the Embassy)
  • March 25, 2011 - Renewal process started by the Passport Service and money order banked (I discovered this as part of my first conversation with Careline... see below)
  • April 5, 2011 - First call to Careline to check the status of my application (4 weeks, 2 days after it was signed for on March 7th). I was to call back at the beginning of the following week if I hadn't seen the passport
  • April 11, 2011 - Second call to Careline. This time my case was escalated and an email was sent to the passport processing centre with my travel details. I was told that I'd be contacted within 3 days
  • April 14, 2011 - Passport delivered
Total time to process from the date I mailed the application to the date I received the passport - 41 Days. I also noticed that the passport was actually issued/printed yesterday (April 13th).

I can now look ahead to traveling back to the UK as planned next week and I hope that those of you still waiting get your passports soon!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Ergonome is an unknown quantity at this point

Well it sounds as if they might be getting their act together at long last. I can't say that this is before time. Pleased that you got your passport back. There's hope for the rest of us. Fingers crossed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.