Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Old Mar 22nd 2011, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

yalecurator is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Ianmstm - yes, unfortunately it has expired. I delayed because a family member who is very sick was having major surgery which kept being postponed and I did not want to be passport-less if there were an emergency. (The surgery went fine,but I am now passport-less). I did not do my research and had not realized that I could have renewed it in the UK. Careless, I know, but last time I renewed it in the US it only took two weeks and I was unprepared for the new time-frame.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 4:56 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Still waiting here, they charged our CC about a week ago so I have it's on it's way back to us. So far they've had the application nearly 6 weeks.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

yalecurator is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, and good luck!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

drcharliegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't believe what has happened - I applied for my passport 7 weeks ahead of travel, and my application was received and signed for on February 11th 2011.

When I called the Careline to ask what was going on, they told me that they had only started to PROCESS the application on March 8th and it would take 6 weeks from there. I did ask how I was supposed to predict that my application was going to kick around the mail room in Washington for a month when applying, and the Careline just said "we're very busy". I did suggest they ought to quote 10 weeks if they're *that* busy, but hey... I was being charged a premium rate phone number for that argument.

I have to be a bridesmaid at the beginning of April. My flight is on the 1st (that's just 9 days away!) - and I'm stressing out!

Does anyone have any experience with getting emergency papers? I also need to renew my US visa whilst back in the UK, and the office in Washington have the originals of my birth certificate etc... I'm a doctor here in the US and will need to get back at the end of April to take call etc.

AARGH! Help! Thanks...

Charlie

PS I can't 'personal message' the British Consul - is there another way to get hold of him?
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:31 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drcharliegirl

PS I can't 'personal message' the British Consul - is there another way to get hold of him?
The Consulate's phone numbers and other contact information are all available on the web. Have you tried contacting your own Consulate? (the one that serves your residence)
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Yes - but if you call the consulate all you get is an option to apply for emergency documents *right now*, or to make an appointment. It's just a recorded line with a friendly sounding voice!
Even then, they requested I reply to their standard email to make sure I *really* did want to talk to a human being about it!

I'm not sure what the Boston consulate can do about the folks in Washington anyway, though...

Thanks,
Charlie
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 8:18 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Why would the Florida Consul be any different then.

Your PMs should work now.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your helpful reply.
I wasn't aware that British Consul was solely based in Florida - I just saw that he had been helpful to others.
Apologies for wasting your time.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 7:05 pm
Happy with my lot For now

anne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to all

Sent mine for renewal on March 4th, no activity yet on the CC. I am keeping my fingers as I got news today that my sister in law is not doing good, and that she may pass at anytime she has COPD in the final stages and they really can not give a approx timeline. I thought I was doing the right thing renewing early rather than leaving it closer too the expiration date the end of May.... but life has a way of throwing things at ya when you least expect it
Old Mar 27th 2011, 9:16 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Dh's arrived on Friday (25th) they got it on Feb 11th and had charged my CC just over a week before we got the passport.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 2:21 am
Just Joined

Adamn1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, long ime lurker new poster.

I've never had the need to post as I always found the answer i needed I am scheduled to go to England on the 6th and they charged my credit card on the 25th... fingers crossed... they got the packet on the 4th so turn around has been pretty swift.

I'm getting a little nervous now, is the hotline a waste of time? I dont want to have to bug the british consul guy on here yet - plus I cant send PMs
Old Mar 29th 2011, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adamn1
Hi everyone, long ime lurker new poster.

I've never had the need to post as I always found the answer i needed I am scheduled to go to England on the 6th and they charged my credit card on the 25th... fingers crossed... they got the packet on the 4th so turn around has been pretty swift.

I'm getting a little nervous now, is the hotline a waste of time? I dont want to have to bug the british consul guy on here yet - plus I cant send PMs
That is pretty swift. I sent my husband's off on the 4th and they received it on the 9th and to date nothing has been charged on the credit card. But in your case, you're pretty lucky. I don't think I would have waited till a month before I was going to travel to send off for a passport.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Adamn1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah the timing isn't ideal but one of my close friends is getting married with little notice.... What do you do? The website said upto 4 weeks. When I sent it in I would be flying in about 5. Fingers crossed...
Old Mar 29th 2011, 6:42 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I just sent my husbands on the 23rd. It ws received on the 25th. I'm guess we won't get his back for about a month.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

I recently renewed my UK passport and it took them about 5 weeks. They charged my credit card about a week before I received the passport in the mail.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.