Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Old May 15th 2011, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Originally Posted by jenmar100
I sent my daughter's passport renewal application on April 22nd and it was received on April 24th (per UPS website). I sent a certified bankers cheque. (I still have not received the green certified mail receipt).
We are travelling to the UK on 5th July 2011 for my husbands grandmothers 90th birthday party. I am concerned by reports on here that passports are taking way longer than the 4-6 weeks processing time quoted on the British Embassy website!
Should I be worried? And does anyone have any advice?
I'd definitely be worried. We're still waiting and we're going into our 10th week since we originally submitted (and it was received) my husband's renewal application. Our cc was charged April 1st.

I have no idea what advice to give. This week we are going to start calling Careline and see how that goes. You might want to call Careline and tell them you have a trip booked the beginning of July. We have a trip booked mid-August, we thought we were giving them ample time to complete a passport renewal.
Old May 15th 2011, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
4 weeks since credit card was charged. Still nothing.
Going into the 6th week here. We're going to call Careline this week.
Old May 15th 2011, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Harmerma
My wait has been 11 weeks.
Since payment taken or application was sent off?
Old May 17th 2011, 2:39 am
Just Joined

kellyg41378 is an unknown quantity at this point

So I wanted to share an update with you all. Today marked 2 months since the consulate received the renewal application I sent in. Payment has NOT been taken from my cc so I don't know what to think. Everyone on here seems to have had payment taken within 3 weeks to a month after the package was received. I called the care line today for the third time and I was told that they know nothing as this is all handled in Washington. I was told that there is no need to call again and I should just wait it out. I asked how long I should wait and the answer was indefinite. I do not recommend that anyone call the care line as it's truly a waste of money.
Old May 17th 2011, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Peony is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the same boat as you all it seems, sent my daughter's application on 21st March, had my CC debited on 18th April. Still no passport, called Careline today and they said it could be another couple of weeks. We're supposed to be travelling next week. Arghhhh, what can I do?!
Old May 17th 2011, 3:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peony
I'm in the same boat as you all it seems, sent my daughter's application on 21st March, had my CC debited on 18th April. Still no passport, called Careline today and they said it could be another couple of weeks. We're supposed to be travelling next week. Arghhhh, what can I do?!
Emergency passport? Have you read the stickied thread at the top of this forum...the one that says 'Read Me' in red? Dean...British Consult has posted details on how to obtain an Emergency PP.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 17th 2011 at 3:34 pm.
Old May 17th 2011, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

nsdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nice

Ok after 6 weeks they have finally billed my credit card woohoo now for the wait for the actual passport. Might just be luck (if thats what you can call it) but it was billed pretty much the day after they received a formal letter of complain to them where i pretty much asked if they delayed so much to make people call their premium rate (or international rate) numbers. We will see how long it takes from now.

Just FYI i did include all my previous passport details in the complaint letter. To help them along :P

So if you aren't in a desperate hurry i'd recommend the letter option.
Old May 17th 2011, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

magsworld is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you access that thread, I don't see it at the top of the page but would like more information. Thanks.
Old May 17th 2011, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

magsworld is an unknown quantity at this point

I am 6 weeks in since my son's renewal application was received in Washington. My cc has not been charged yet. I am going through the motions of trying to make the wheels turn a bit faster but there don't seem to be many wheels to turn! I called careline this morning and the operator tried to help me but of course had nothing to go on. He said it could be another week before they charge my card and then possibly 4 weeks after that until I get the passport back. We have a trip booked June 12, our once yearly trip to visit my parents and for them to see their grandchildren. I thought 9 weeks would be ample time for a renewal given that there was no caveat on the website at the time. This service has never taken more than 3 weeks in the past. Utterly disappointing that we have no way of tracking the process of our application.
Old May 17th 2011, 4:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magsworld
How do you access that thread, I don't see it at the top of the page but would like more information. Thanks.
What, this one - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=708050 ?

The one that's at the top of the USA forum, where you found this thread?
Old May 18th 2011, 12:41 am
Happy with my lot For now

anne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Going into the 6th week here. We're going to call Careline this week.
I cant believe you have not received it yet, there really is no excuse you and I were around the same time frame and I have had mine for weeks now.
Old May 18th 2011, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anne55
I cant believe you have not received it yet, there really is no excuse you and I were around the same time frame and I have had mine for weeks now.
Yes that's bad, it was about the same time as my husband's.

Why do they call it the 'Careline'?
Old May 18th 2011, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

Because "We Don't Careline" didn't sound right.
Old May 18th 2011, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by anne55
Yep....wondering if we didn't call or complain just how long it would really take. I don't think I can wait another month.....
Old May 18th 2011, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Coldscooter is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been waiting over 9 weeks since that signed for my application (23rf Of March).

I am in Canada and had to send my passport renewal application to Washington DC. They charged my CC on the 15th of April which is over 4 weeks to now.

I am waiting to extend my work permit in Canada. It expires on the 29th of May. Without my passport i cannot extend my work permit and will lose my status as a worker, and thus, will lose my job, and will lose all the work i have put in to getting my work permit approved (which took months of paperwork and assistance from my employers). I am utterly desperate at this point and feel so helpless.

I have called the careline 3 times (nearly 10 pounds for each call). The last time was 3 days ago and they told me they were escalating my case. This is the 3rd day and still no call or email from them.

If it doesn't arrive in the next 7 or so days, I will lose so much. for the passport arriving soon!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.