Reload this Page >

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Old May 11th 2011, 2:03 am
Just Joined

kellyg41378 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Hi all,
I'm really at a loss on what I should do here. My renewal application was received on March 16 (per UPS website). There had not been any charge on my credit card so I called the care line approx 5 weeks later. The response was that my application was not in the system and I would get a call back in 3 working days. I waited 6 before placing a second call after not hearing back. Still nothing showing up in their system. I was told I would hear back again and this time I received an email asking for the UPS tracking number and details on applicants name, etc. I responded and waited a week. I then sent a follow email because I received no response from my original email. Still nothing. I think that close to 8 weeks is much longer than what others have been seeing especially since my credit card has never been charged. The documents I sent included my original birth certificate plus my expired passport. I am hesitant to call the care line again as I've already spent $25 to get nowhere. My fear is that the package is lost at the consulate.

Does anyone have any suggestion?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 11th 2011, 4:02 am
Just Joined

DCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really nice

I never ever got a call back from the Careline people, even when they promised to call back within a certain amount of time.

It took them a month to charge my card after receiving my package, but your stuff seems to be taking super long. I wonder if you can get something from the UPS website, a signature of the person who signed for your package?

If you aren't in a hurry to travel I wouldn't panic quite yet. It seems so variable, how long it takes for a card to be charged etc.
Old May 11th 2011, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Good news!

I think they are holding things up to make money from everybody having to call the premium rate phone line.
I'm beginning to think that as well, as my husband's passport hasn't come as yet. Its been over 8 weeks in total, but he's wanting to wait a bit longer. Especially since it costs to call.....
Old May 11th 2011, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I'm beginning to think that as well, as my husband's passport hasn't come as yet. Its been over 8 weeks in total, but he's wanting to wait a bit longer. Especially since it costs to call.....
It seems to be getting worse - crazy.
Old May 11th 2011, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Handle is an unknown quantity at this point

This is my first post on here in 5 years. Great to be back, though I forgot my original user ID and password!

Well, I mailed my application on March 2nd via Certified Mail. I got a return receipt on March 16th. $233 was debited from my card on April 1st.

Still no passport, even though they've had my money for nearly six weeks now.

What worries me more than anything is theft and identity fraud, because it has happened to me before since coming to the US to live.

Today I have written a letter to the Consul to complain about the shoddy service. I can't be bothered with hanging on the end of a phone line.

Good luck to all those waiting.
Old May 12th 2011, 3:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DCErin
I never ever got a call back from the Careline people, even when they promised to call back within a certain amount of time.

It took them a month to charge my card after receiving my package, but your stuff seems to be taking super long. I wonder if you can get something from the UPS website, a signature of the person who signed for your package?

If you aren't in a hurry to travel I wouldn't panic quite yet. It seems so variable, how long it takes for a card to be charged etc.
Thanks for your feedback. I sent the UPS tracking number and signatory name to the Monday of last week. No response. I'll call again next week, I guess.
Old May 12th 2011, 4:45 am
Just Joined

Handle is an unknown quantity at this point

Kelly, I decided to write to the Consul instead of phoning because "all complaints will be investigated" and they are duty bound to respond within two weeks (see below).

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...port-complaint
Old May 12th 2011, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

PandG has a brilliant futurePandG has a brilliant futurePandG has a brilliant futurePandG has a brilliant futurePandG has a brilliant futurePandG has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kellyg41378
Hi all,
I'm really at a loss on what I should do here. My renewal application was received on March 16 (per UPS website). There had not been any charge on my credit card so I called the care line approx 5 weeks later. The response was that my application was not in the system and I would get a call back in 3 working days. I waited 6 before placing a second call after not hearing back. Still nothing showing up in their system. I was told I would hear back again and this time I received an email asking for the UPS tracking number and details on applicants name, etc. I responded and waited a week. I then sent a follow email because I received no response from my original email. Still nothing. I think that close to 8 weeks is much longer than what others have been seeing especially since my credit card has never been charged. The documents I sent included my original birth certificate plus my expired passport. I am hesitant to call the care line again as I've already spent $25 to get nowhere. My fear is that the package is lost at the consulate.

Does anyone have any suggestion?

Thanks in advance!
I'm afraid I don't have any advice.

This Friday (May13! - Yeah Friday the 13th) marks 6 weeks since they took payment for my daughters application - it'll be her first passport.

After reading all the woes about the Careline (irony at its best) I really have no time or inclination to waste my money on it.

Fortunately I don't need this in a hurry like many of you seem to, so I can wait it out, but waiting this long for "no brainer" passport applications is utterly criminal to my mind.

I can see now that I was very VERY lucky to have my passport renewed in literally one week last October - that was from date of me mailing it out, to receiving my new one. Just incredibly fast!

Will keep you posted if this new passport for my daughter shows up tomorrow...or when it does I'll post again! Cheers all!
Old May 12th 2011, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

nsdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nice

While i don't need my passport immediately i do need it reasonably soon. So i chose against the careline call also because they haven't taken payment yet so it would be pointless. I did however write a letter of complaint to the embassy because delays or not they have had my application for 6 weeks now and payment hasn't been taken. This is unacceptable. If it were any other business/service they would have lost all their customers, sadly they don't have any competition so feel like they can act however they please.

The fact of the matter is the website says 4 weeks (or 6 because of delays) that should start when they receive the application and sign for it no when they can be bothered to cash the payment and do their jobs. Its embarrassing that when you look at other countries passport renewal procedure abroad the UK has the worse and seemingly most unprofessional. While there are some employees (such as Dean) who do care and do want to do their jobs it seems the vast majority are just an embarrassment to the UK and an insult to us, the people who require their assistance (and we are paying for it also)

Rant Over

Last edited by nsdale; May 12th 2011 at 8:12 pm.
Old May 12th 2011, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

PandG has a brilliant futurePandG has a brilliant futurePandG has a brilliant futurePandG has a brilliant futurePandG has a brilliant futurePandG has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by nsdale
While i don't need my passport immediately i do need it reasonably soon. So i chose against the careline call also because they haven't taken payment yet so it would be pointless. I did however write a letter of complaint to the embassy because delays or not they have had my application for 6 weeks now and payment hasn't been taken. This is unacceptable. If it were any other business/service they would have lost all their customers, sadly they don't have any competition so feel like they can act however they please.

The fact of the matter is the website says 4 weeks (or 6 because of delays) that should start when they receive the application and sign for it no when they can be bothered to cash the payment and do their jobs. Its embarrassing that when you look at other countries passport renewal procedure abroad the UK has the worse and seemingly most unprofessional. While there are some employees (such as Dean) who do care and do want to do their jobs it seems the vast majority are just an embarrassment to the UK and an insult to us, the people who require their assistance (and we are paying for it also)

Rant Over
Couldn't agree more. I have to admit my surprise when I saw this thread because of my fabulous experience last year when I renewed my passport. I thought that Washington really had their act together.

As a point of interest, I'm renewing my Canadian PR card right now and that's been running virtually in tandem with this passport application for my daughter. My PR card app is also trackable online, so I am getting great feedback and updates FOR FREE. I just saw today that it's been processed and I can expect to get my new card in a few weeks.

Come on Britain - if Canada can get it's act together, why can't we?!
Old May 13th 2011, 1:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Handle
Kelly, I decided to write to the Consul instead of phoning because "all complaints will be investigated" and they are duty bound to respond within two weeks (see below).

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...port-complaint
Thank you for sharing this. I will write to them and see if this gets the issue resolved. I am truly appalled.
Old May 13th 2011, 4:55 am
Just Joined

Harmerma is an unknown quantity at this point

My wait has been 11 weeks.
Old May 13th 2011, 5:50 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

4 weeks since credit card was charged. Still nothing.
Old May 15th 2011, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

jenmar100 is an unknown quantity at this point

I sent my daughter's passport renewal application on April 22nd and it was received on April 24th (per UPS website). I sent a certified bankers cheque. (I still have not received the green certified mail receipt).
We are travelling to the UK on 5th July 2011 for my husbands grandmothers 90th birthday party. I am concerned by reports on here that passports are taking way longer than the 4-6 weeks processing time quoted on the British Embassy website!
Should I be worried? And does anyone have any advice?
Old May 15th 2011, 5:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenmar100
Should I be worried? And does anyone have any advice?
Possibly, because the time doesn't start until they've taken payment...and advice, read the thread to see what other people have done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.