Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Old Apr 14th 2011, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Originally Posted by Patriot75
My passport was just delivered by UPS this morning

Quick re-cap of the timeline associated to my renewal application:
  • March 4, 2011 - Application sent registered mail via USPS
  • March 7, 2011 - Application received and signed for at the Embassy in Washington (as shown on USPS tracking site)
  • March 21, 2011 - Green USPS receipt delivered back to my address, interestingly with a received date stamp of March 17, 2011 (10 days after it was signed for at the Embassy)
  • March 25, 2011 - Renewal process started by the Passport Service and money order banked (I discovered this as part of my first conversation with Careline... see below)
  • April 5, 2011 - First call to Careline to check the status of my application (4 weeks, 2 days after it was signed for on March 7th). I was to call back at the beginning of the following week if I hadn't seen the passport
  • April 11, 2011 - Second call to Careline. This time my case was escalated and an email was sent to the passport processing centre with my travel details. I was told that I'd be contacted within 3 days
  • April 14, 2011 - Passport delivered
Total time to process from the date I mailed the application to the date I received the passport - 41 Days. I also noticed that the passport was actually issued/printed yesterday (April 13th).

I can now look ahead to traveling back to the UK as planned next week and I hope that those of you still waiting get your passports soon!
I sent off my husband's application on that same day and via UPS tracking I know it was signed for (by a guard) on the 9th. Our cc was charged on April 1st and have seen nothing as yet. Hopefully we won't be too far behind you.... I know Sally's husband has received his and her timeline was pretty much the same.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 3:29 pm
Happy with my lot For now

anne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Not a thing. If its getting delivered by UPS I'm worried that it will come when I'm out (or at work) Not a peep though.... Thankfully we aren't in real need of it too soon. I'm glad we applied for it when we did though. I would have been having a heart attack if we had left it till May or (heaven forbid) June!
Just got home and guess what UPS have tried to deliver....Not expecting anything from them other than my PASSPORT so thinking that it is finally within my grasp. I will not be moving out tomorrow till I get it. Hoping you have had similar progress
Old Apr 14th 2011, 9:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eilowny
I sent off my passport, birth cert & marriage cert via UPS, as I wanted to change my last name due to my marriage.

It was recieved at Washington DC British Embassy on Feb 28th & the payment was taken from the credit card on March 24th but I still have not recieved my new passport nor the documents I sent along with the passport that needed tha name changed.

I need them all back so I can get on with applying for Canadian Residency.

As of today, wed 13th I still haven't had anything back
That's still not a month since they charged the card, so nothing new there...and there's no reason to bother with a name change unless you had to renew the passport anyway, but that's hindsight for you I'm afraid.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by anne55
Just got home and guess what UPS have tried to deliver....Not expecting anything from them other than my PASSPORT so thinking that it is finally within my grasp. I will not be moving out tomorrow till I get it. Hoping you have had similar progress
W's stopping you from going to the local UPS depot to pick it up in person?

From previous experience UPS will not hand over anything on "Hold for signature" at the depot unless they have made one attempt at delivery. Unless there is an option for UPS to only hand over a package at the address.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

Patriot75 is an unknown quantity at this point

I sent off my husband's application on that same day and via UPS tracking I know it was signed for (by a guard) on the 9th. Our cc was charged on April 1st and have seen nothing as yet. Hopefully we won't be too far behind you.... I know Sally's husband has received his and her timeline was pretty much the same.
Hopefully your husband's will be with you in the next couple of days or early next week. If your husband is traveling soon I'd phone Careline again and escalate things. When I spoke with them on Monday they asked me for my travel dates and flight numbers. I may be wrong, but that seemed to get things moving. While I ended up spending around $40 in call charges over two calls, which obviously isn't great!, I'd still rather that than have to shell out $157 for an emergency passport which is what I'd have had to do if my passport hadn't arrived by Monday. Fingers crossed you'll see something soon!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Just got home and looked outside, no joy! Ah well, it can't be too far off.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Patriot75
Hopefully your husband's will be with you in the next couple of days or early next week. If your husband is traveling soon I'd phone Careline again and escalate things. When I spoke with them on Monday they asked me for my travel dates and flight numbers. I may be wrong, but that seemed to get things moving. While I ended up spending around $40 in call charges over two calls, which obviously isn't great!, I'd still rather that than have to shell out $157 for an emergency passport which is what I'd have had to do if my passport hadn't arrived by Monday. Fingers crossed you'll see something soon!
Thanks! And thankfully we're not traveling till August!
Old Apr 15th 2011, 3:29 am
Just Joined

kellyg41378 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for the feedback on receive a confirmation card. I did send it UPS not USPS. I called the careline today and they are not showing my renewal request anywhere in their system. Do you think info only shows up in their system once they have charged your card? I assume yes since the careline would not even speak to me until I gave them my credit card info to pay for the call. Supposedly my request is going to be escalated and I should expect to receive a call or email in 3 working days...Based on info I have seen on this site, I am not holding my breath for a call.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Eilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
That's still not a month since they charged the card, so nothing new there...and there's no reason to bother with a name change unless you had to renew the passport anyway, but that's hindsight for you I'm afraid.

Ah see a Canadian Services guy told me that I should have all my documentation for Residency in the same name, as in marriage certificate must match my Passport.

I asked him why should it matter he said it would be for the best, I am annoyed too as my 'old' one was issued in 2009.

If they hadn't told me that I would just have kept it the same, but if I'm told something like that by an official then I am going to do what they say.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:50 am

anne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pTeronaut
W's stopping you from going to the local UPS depot to pick it up in person?

From previous experience UPS will not hand over anything on "Hold for signature" at the depot unless they have made one attempt at delivery. Unless there is an option for UPS to only hand over a package at the address.

Did not have time....had work to go too. It says on the card they left, that they would deliver again before 10:30 in the morning if that fails I will contact UPS and pick it up.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 5:02 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I sent my husband's application March 23. It was received on March 25. Credit card was charged April 14. No we wait and see!
Old Apr 15th 2011, 1:53 pm

Got Mine this morning .....6 weeks today since I mailed it, I would have had yesterday had I been home for delivery.....2 weeks and 1 day since my credit card was charged.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

GGTrek is an unknown quantity at this point

UK embassy in Washington received my child new passport application on the 25th of February, charged my credit card on the 11th of April: more than 6 weeks after they received the application!!! From what I have understood I shall have to wait another 6 weeks to receive the passport: that gives 3 months time!!!
I have already sent an email to the foreign office in London and asking them to start investigating the huge delays at the UK Embassy in Washington, explain the reasons and what they are doing to address these delays. I have a trip to Europe already booked at the end of May and if I have to cancel it I shall take FCO to a civil claim court in the UK and ask for compensation: they are ridicoulous!
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Got Mine this morning .....6 weeks today since I mailed it, I would have had yesterday had I been home for delivery.....2 weeks and 1 day since my credit card was charged.
Yaaay! Well hopefully something appears on our doorstep today. Will have to have them come back to deliver because no one but the dog will be home and she wouldn't be interested in signing for anything....
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:48 pm

Yaaay! Well hopefully something appears on our doorstep today. Will have to have them come back to deliver because no one but the dog will be home and she wouldn't be interested in signing for anything....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.