Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Passport renewal section 1b question

UK Passport renewal section 1b question

Old Sep 14th 2012, 11:42 pm
Expert ping ponger

HighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Passport renewal section 1b question

I am in the process of completing my C1 form, for the renewal of my British Passport, that is set to expire come October.

I was born in South Africa to parents who are both British citizens and was registered as a British citizen at the Consulate-General in Johannesburg, South Africa.

On the C1 application form, I answered the question "Where you born in a foreign country and your birth registered at a British Consulate?" accordingly, however when I get to 1b, I don't know how to answer this section. If I answer "Yes", I am a little concerned as it asks for a reference number and section, which doesn't appear anywhere on my long form birth certificate I got from the Consulate-General.

Do I answer 1b "Yes" or "No"?
Old Sep 15th 2012, 3:56 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Passport renewal section 1b question

Originally Posted by HighlandPenguin View Post
I am in the process of completing my C1 form, for the renewal of my British Passport, that is set to expire come October.

I was born in South Africa to parents who are both British citizens and was registered as a British citizen at the Consulate-General in Johannesburg, South Africa.

On the C1 application form, I answered the question "Where you born in a foreign country and your birth registered at a British Consulate?" accordingly, however when I get to 1b, I don't know how to answer this section. If I answer "Yes", I am a little concerned as it asks for a reference number and section, which doesn't appear anywhere on my long form birth certificate I got from the Consulate-General.

Do I answer 1b "Yes" or "No"?
If you answered the previous question "yes" based on the red above, then 1b is not applicable. Go to section 2
Old Sep 27th 2012, 6:27 am
Just Joined

Sian Kate Lloyd is an unknown quantity at this point

HI there,
I was registered as a British Citizen in Johannesburg when I was born. I'm also trying to renew my British passport and need to fill out Section 1b as well. My parents are unavailable to tell me what exact date and which consolate I was registered at - where can I get this info?

Help!
Old Sep 27th 2012, 7:13 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sian Kate Lloyd View Post
HI there,
I was registered as a British Citizen in Johannesburg when I was born. I'm also trying to renew my British passport and need to fill out Section 1b as well. My parents are unavailable to tell me what exact date and which consolate I was registered at - where can I get this info?

Help!
As for previous poster, you are answering yes to the question above 1b, so 1b is not for you.

1. Name of Consulate:The consulate in Johannesburg.(there is only one)
2. Date of registration: The date of your birth, give or take a month or so as far as you know.

If you are renewing passport, not applying for a first one, it is already on record.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for replying!
I was born in 1983 and registered. I know things have changed and you can now only go to Pretoria. I'm not sure if I need to say Johannesburg Consulate or Pretoria....do you know perhaps?

Old Sep 27th 2012, 12:48 pm
BE Irregular

Originally Posted by Sian Kate Lloyd View Post
Thank you for replying!
I was born in 1983 and registered. I know things have changed and you can now only go to Pretoria. I'm not sure if I need to say Johannesburg Consulate or Pretoria....do you know perhaps?

I do not know for fact. But if you were born in JBurg put that. They will figure out if at the time there was a consulate or not. How do you know you were registered at all?
Old Sep 27th 2012, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

haha true that!
I was registered as I have a British passport - it expires next month so I'm filling in the renew form. I think I may just put Johannesburg Consulate or embassy and my birth day
Old Sep 27th 2012, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

The poster who started this thread is my husband Sian. Wish I/we could give more advice. My husband was born there in 1975, and has a certificate of birth abroad from the Jo'burg consulate, so that gave him the info he needed (and acts as further proof of UK citizenship).
Old Sep 27th 2012, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the input! Most appreciated!
Old Oct 17th 2012, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

nelly2112 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

I'm kind of confused about section 1b as well. I am also renewing my British passport. I live in Canada but my dad was a british citizen when I was born hence my citizenship. If I answer yes to 1b does that mean my passport number is my document number?

I was never nationalized or registered as far as I know unless I was when I got my initial passport? Not sure what that means.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 17th 2012, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nelly2112 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm kind of confused about section 1b as well. I am also renewing my British passport. I live in Canada but my dad was a british citizen when I was born hence my citizenship. If I answer yes to 1b does that mean my passport number is my document number?

I was never nationalized or registered as far as I know unless I was when I got my initial passport? Not sure what that means.

Thanks in advance!
Were you born in Canada? UK consular birth registration is not available for UK citizens born in Canada and some other countries (e.g. Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and South Africa). It might have been available at some point in the past but I'm not sure about that. So, unless you know your birth was registered, answer 'NO' to 1b and move on (i.e. you don't need to put anything for document number).
Old Oct 17th 2012, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MarylandNed View Post
Were you born in Canada? UK consular birth registration is not available for UK citizens born in Canada and some other countries (e.g. Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and South Africa). It might have been available at some point in the past but I'm not sure about that. So, unless you know your birth was registered, answer 'NO' to 1b and move on (i.e. you don't need to put anything for document number).
Thanks for the reply. I was actually born in Bangladesh but moved to England in the early 70's.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 9:57 am
BE Irregular

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!
Again. If you already have/had a UK passport, there is no need to re-prove eligibility in order to renew it.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RICH View Post
Again. If you already have/had a UK passport, there is no need to re-prove eligibility in order to renew it.
Thanks. So the part with the parent info do I need to fill it out in full? Section 2?
Old Oct 18th 2012, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. So the part with the parent info do I need to fill it out in full? Section 2?
Yes, fill out the form to the best of your ability. I would just answer 'NO' to 1b unless you know for sure that your birth was registered (I think this part is a moot point anyway since you're doing a renewal).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.