British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK Passport renewal section 1b question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-passport-renewal-section-1b-question-771632/)

HighlandPenguin Sep 14th 2012 11:42 pm

UK Passport renewal section 1b question

I am in the process of completing my C1 form, for the renewal of my British Passport, that is set to expire come October.

I was born in South Africa to parents who are both British citizens and was registered as a British citizen at the Consulate-General in Johannesburg, South Africa.

On the C1 application form, I answered the question "Where you born in a foreign country and your birth registered at a British Consulate?" accordingly, however when I get to 1b, I don't know how to answer this section. If I answer "Yes", I am a little concerned as it asks for a reference number and section, which doesn't appear anywhere on my long form birth certificate I got from the Consulate-General.

Do I answer 1b "Yes" or "No"?

RICH Sep 15th 2012 3:56 pm

Re: UK Passport renewal section 1b question

Originally Posted by HighlandPenguin (Post 10281590)
I am in the process of completing my C1 form, for the renewal of my British Passport, that is set to expire come October.

I was born in South Africa to parents who are both British citizens and was registered as a British citizen at the Consulate-General in Johannesburg, South Africa.

On the C1 application form, I answered the question "Where you born in a foreign country and your birth registered at a British Consulate?" accordingly, however when I get to 1b, I don't know how to answer this section. If I answer "Yes", I am a little concerned as it asks for a reference number and section, which doesn't appear anywhere on my long form birth certificate I got from the Consulate-General.

Do I answer 1b "Yes" or "No"?

If you answered the previous question "yes" based on the red above, then 1b is not applicable. Go to section 2

Sian Kate Lloyd Sep 27th 2012 6:27 am

HI there,
I was registered as a British Citizen in Johannesburg when I was born. I'm also trying to renew my British passport and need to fill out Section 1b as well. My parents are unavailable to tell me what exact date and which consolate I was registered at - where can I get this info?

Help!

RICH Sep 27th 2012 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Sian Kate Lloyd (Post 10302246)
HI there,
I was registered as a British Citizen in Johannesburg when I was born. I'm also trying to renew my British passport and need to fill out Section 1b as well. My parents are unavailable to tell me what exact date and which consolate I was registered at - where can I get this info?

Help!

As for previous poster, you are answering yes to the question above 1b, so 1b is not for you.

1. Name of Consulate:The consulate in Johannesburg.(there is only one)
2. Date of registration: The date of your birth, give or take a month or so as far as you know.

If you are renewing passport, not applying for a first one, it is already on record.

Sian Kate Lloyd Sep 27th 2012 12:10 pm

Thank you for replying!
I was born in 1983 and registered. I know things have changed and you can now only go to Pretoria. I'm not sure if I need to say Johannesburg Consulate or Pretoria....do you know perhaps?

;)

RICH Sep 27th 2012 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Sian Kate Lloyd (Post 10302773)
Thank you for replying!
I was born in 1983 and registered. I know things have changed and you can now only go to Pretoria. I'm not sure if I need to say Johannesburg Consulate or Pretoria....do you know perhaps?

;)

I do not know for fact. But if you were born in JBurg put that. They will figure out if at the time there was a consulate or not. How do you know you were registered at all?

Sian Kate Lloyd Sep 27th 2012 1:23 pm

haha true that!
I was registered as I have a British passport - it expires next month so I'm filling in the renew form. I think I may just put Johannesburg Consulate or embassy and my birth day :)

Bluegrass Lass Sep 27th 2012 1:35 pm

The poster who started this thread is my husband Sian. Wish I/we could give more advice. My husband was born there in 1975, and has a certificate of birth abroad from the Jo'burg consulate, so that gave him the info he needed (and acts as further proof of UK citizenship).

Sian Kate Lloyd Sep 27th 2012 3:44 pm

Thanks for all the input! Most appreciated!
;)

nelly2112 Oct 17th 2012 7:25 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm kind of confused about section 1b as well. I am also renewing my British passport. I live in Canada but my dad was a british citizen when I was born hence my citizenship. If I answer yes to 1b does that mean my passport number is my document number?

I was never nationalized or registered as far as I know unless I was when I got my initial passport? Not sure what that means.

Thanks in advance!

MarylandNed Oct 17th 2012 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by nelly2112 (Post 10336017)
Hi everyone,

I'm kind of confused about section 1b as well. I am also renewing my British passport. I live in Canada but my dad was a british citizen when I was born hence my citizenship. If I answer yes to 1b does that mean my passport number is my document number?

I was never nationalized or registered as far as I know unless I was when I got my initial passport? Not sure what that means.

Thanks in advance!

Were you born in Canada? UK consular birth registration is not available for UK citizens born in Canada and some other countries (e.g. Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and South Africa). It might have been available at some point in the past but I'm not sure about that. So, unless you know your birth was registered, answer 'NO' to 1b and move on (i.e. you don't need to put anything for document number).

nelly2112 Oct 17th 2012 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10336215)
Were you born in Canada? UK consular birth registration is not available for UK citizens born in Canada and some other countries (e.g. Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and South Africa). It might have been available at some point in the past but I'm not sure about that. So, unless you know your birth was registered, answer 'NO' to 1b and move on (i.e. you don't need to put anything for document number).

Thanks for the reply. I was actually born in Bangladesh but moved to England in the early 70's.

RICH Oct 18th 2012 9:57 am

Originally Posted by nelly2112 (Post 10336017)
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!

Again. If you already have/had a UK passport, there is no need to re-prove eligibility in order to renew it.

nelly2112 Oct 18th 2012 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 10337093)
Again. If you already have/had a UK passport, there is no need to re-prove eligibility in order to renew it.

Thanks. So the part with the parent info do I need to fill it out in full? Section 2?

MarylandNed Oct 18th 2012 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by nelly2112 (Post 10337484)
Thanks. So the part with the parent info do I need to fill it out in full? Section 2?

Yes, fill out the form to the best of your ability. I would just answer 'NO' to 1b unless you know for sure that your birth was registered (I think this part is a moot point anyway since you're doing a renewal).