Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Passport Office forgot to include my street address on mail; email addy for them?

UK Passport Office forgot to include my street address on mail; email addy for them?

Old May 26th 2017, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

sahra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Passport Office forgot to include my street address on mail; email addy for them?

I seem to have a problem. For some unknown reason, the passport office sent my new British passport via DHL to my name, city, state, and zip code -- but without my street address. I can fix this with DHL, but I'm very concerned with the safe return of my original documents (which I will need to register my children as British citizens after I have an unexpired British passport in my hands). Is there an email address at the passport office at which I can email them? I have no way to make a phone call to the UK.

Cheers for your help!
Old May 26th 2017, 5:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Passport Office forgot to include my street address on mail; email addy for th

Originally Posted by sahra View Post
I seem to have a problem. For some unknown reason, the passport office sent my new British passport via DHL to my name, city, state, and zip code -- but without my street address. I can fix this with DHL, but I'm very concerned with the safe return of my original documents (which I will need to register my children as British citizens after I have an unexpired British passport in my hands). Is there an email address at the passport office at which I can email them? I have no way to make a phone call to the UK.

Cheers for your help!
Have you contacted DHL in case they still have it? If it contains the zip...they may still be able to deliver it to you. My elderly aunt sent me a card addressed to...

Jerseygirl
Zip Code
USA

and I received it.
Old May 26th 2017, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

sahra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Passport Office forgot to include my street address on mail; email addy for th

That's reassuring you received the mail from your elderly aunt addressed like that!

I contacted DHL first thing when I noticed my street address missing in the tracking, but I'm more worried about my documents being returned first class.
Old May 26th 2017, 5:46 pm
Lt (R)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to have a problem. For some unknown reason, the passport office sent my passport via DHL to my name, city, state, and zip code -- but without my street address. I can fix this with DHL, but I'm very concerned with the safe return of my original documents (which I will need to register my children as British citizens after I have an unexpired British passport). Is there an email address at the passport office at which I can email them? I have no way to make a phone call to the UK.

Cheers for your help!
As your original documents are returned at a different time from a different office, it is quite likely that your address will be complete on the envelope containing your original documents.

Did you give your five number zip code, or the full "zip+4"? A zip+4 is specific to just a few houses, so the mail man should be able to get the envelope to you.

Sorry I can't help with an email address, and I suspect that even if you can find one it is already too late as your documents will likely already have been dispatched back to you.
Old May 26th 2017, 5:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That's reassuring you received the mail from your elderly aunt addressed like that!

I contacted DHL first thing when I noticed my street address missing in the tracking, but I'm more worried about my documents being returned first class.
My card was sent regular mail from the UK...so there is a chance you will receive your documents.
Old May 26th 2017, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

It could just be that they leave the street address out of the tracking, but not of course the packages. Contact DHL and ask them if you're worried.
Old May 27th 2017, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Chesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond repute

I hope it's as others have suggested above and the second dispatch is correctly addressed or your postal carrier can identify you. Both possible. Although v slow, I've been impressed with USPS.

But to be a doom monger the passport office are quite capable of screw ups. When in the UK and getting my eldest's first passport they lost the birth certificate and didn't return it, but denied their error. Much cafuffle ensued and I went as far as involving my MP in order to get an apology and be reimbursed for a copy birth certificate (I had time on my hands and was p'd off; a winning combination). I found them hard to deal with. I sincerely hope for no drama for you.
Old May 27th 2017, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Asg123 View Post
It could just be that they leave the street address out of the tracking, but not of course the packages. Contact DHL and ask them if you're worried.
That's interesting. I suppose the tracking system could be compromised and someone "hack" into it. It's easy enough to work out the style of tracking numbers and if someone got lucky, they could find your shipment but with no street address they could not hang around your property and pretend to be you when DHL deliver? Maybe it's just an extra security step.
I regulalrly both send and receive parcels via various couriers here and I've just looked up the tracking info for a parcel I got last week. On the LBC website it just says my name,postcode and city. The actual parcel was obviously fully addressed!I've also got the tracking receipt for the last package I sent to HMRC via DHL and that just has the name,town and postcode , but I know the full details went on the package because I wrote the labels in the DHL office here so it seems likely it's a regular method.
i'd only worry if nothing arrives!
Old May 27th 2017, 4:14 am
Lt (R)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chesten View Post
I hope it's as others have suggested above and the second dispatch is correctly addressed or your postal carrier can identify you. Both possible. Although v slow, I've been impressed with USPS.

But to be a doom monger the passport office are quite capable of screw ups. When in the UK and getting my eldest's first passport they lost the birth certificate and didn't return it, ....
I applied for a passport around 1993 and the passport office tore my cheque. They sent the cheque back telling me they couldn't process the payment and asked for a replacement. At the time a passport cost £20 and a first class stamp was 24p. .... I sent them a cheque for £19.76 and received my passport a week or so later without any further ado.

To your story, I suspect that they accidentally mailed your son's birth certificate to someone else, a person unknown, and therefore had no way to determine where it had even gone.