British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK Passport With Less Than 6 Months (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-passport-less-than-6-months-534519/)

suffusion May 5th 2008 9:27 pm

UK Passport With Less Than 6 Months

I live in New York and have a greencard. I have to go to UK this month (May 08) but realised my passport expires in Oct 08.

I only have 10 days before I travel and cant find a service that expedites passports renewals quickly enough (if you know somewhere please let me know). But my main question is, can I leave and come back to US with 5 months left on my passport? I think I read somewhere you are supposed to have 6 months but hope I am wrong!

thanks

Bob May 5th 2008 10:41 pm

Re: UK Passport With Less Than 6 Months

I don't think there is the six month requirement, so u should be set...

Patrick Hasler May 5th 2008 10:46 pm

The UK and USA authority's usually set a six month period minimum on your passport befpre they will allow you to travel but as you have a green card you might be ok :confused:

You would be very wise to call or email the British embassy or USCIS for proper info :)

JAJ May 6th 2008 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler (Post 6311105)
The UK and USA authority's usually set a six month period minimum on your passport befpre they will allow you to travel but as you have a green card you might be ok

He has no problem if he has a green card.

Even as a tourist, it would not be a problem (it would only act to limit the period of admission).

Scouse Express May 6th 2008 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler (Post 6311105)
The UK and USA authority's usually set a six month period minimum on your passport befpre they will allow you to travel but as you have a green card you might be ok :confused:

You would be very wise to call or email the British embassy or USCIS for proper info :)

I asked the same question to a British Customs Officer last September. He said that both the US and UK don't have a problem with less than 6 months to go on a Passport.

To the OP........I renewed my Passport via the normal means, in February '08. It was back in less than a week.

Jim.

Jerseygirl May 6th 2008 3:34 am

I've travelled out and in of the US with a couple of weeks left on my UK PP...it's not a problem.

k1journey May 11th 2008 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by suffusion (Post 6310863)
I live in New York and have a greencard. I have to go to UK this month (May 08) but realised my passport expires in Oct 08.

I only have 10 days before I travel and cant find a service that expedites passports renewals quickly enough (if you know somewhere please let me know). But my main question is, can I leave and come back to US with 5 months left on my passport? I think I read somewhere you are supposed to have 6 months but hope I am wrong!

thanks

Go for it. I went to the UK 20 December 2006 to 2 Jan 2007 and my passport expired on 18 Jan 07. UK can't deny you entry if you are a citizen with an unexpired passport. US doesn't care as long as you have your greencard. The airline did flag me when I tried to use the express check in. They flag everyone with six months or less on their passport.

britvic May 11th 2008 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6311760)
I've travelled out and in of the US with a couple of weeks left on my UK PP...it's not a problem.

Same here, no prob's because you have a green card :)

BritishGuy36 May 11th 2008 4:28 pm

The "six months" only applies if you are applying for a visa, they insist that you have at least 6 months left on your passport before they will glue the visa into it.

For general travel after you already have your visa, it's no problem having less time left on it.

Okachickima May 11th 2008 6:32 pm

The United States has reciprocal agreements with most countries, including the U. K., to honor their passports for six months beyond the stated expiration date. If the person has a green card he is not required to have a passport at all.

sime303 May 11th 2008 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Okachickima (Post 6337104)
The United States has reciprocal agreements with most countries, including the U. K., to honor their passports for six months beyond the stated expiration date. If the person has a green card he is not required to have a passport at all.

Yeah, they do.

Okachickima May 11th 2008 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by sime303 (Post 6337117)
Yeah, they do.

A valid Form I-551("Green Card") is the only document needed to enter the United States, and a legal permanent resident is not required to continue to hold a passport from his country. What other countries require of such a person applying for admission is another story.

sime303 May 11th 2008 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Okachickima (Post 6337180)
A valid Form I-551("Green Card") is the only document needed to enter the United States, and a legal permanent resident is not required to continue to hold a passport from his country. What other countries require of such a person applying for admission is another story.

Fair enough.

Okachickima May 11th 2008 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by sime303 (Post 6337186)
Fair enough.

That's something of a letdown. I was hoping to start an argument.

sime303 May 11th 2008 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Okachickima (Post 6337461)
That's something of a letdown. I was hoping to start an argument.

Oh there's plenty of others on here that like to do that.